SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CPAP Users, Let’s Talk Gear
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPAP Users, Let’s Talk Gear Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I use the Phillips Resprionics "Nuance Pro" nasal pillow mask.

Works like a charm, and is comfortable.

I do not like the Nuance mask.

The difference between the two is the Pro has a plastic frame that the head harness hooks to and thus stays on my face better.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I prefer over the head, the full face units felt claustrophobic, I've used the Opus 360 nasal pillows for many years, works great, side or back, I just pull some of the hose behind a pillow leaving enough that allows me to toss and turn without catching the hose.

If it was a hose that went downward I'd be pulling the unit off the nightstand.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I have the Resmed F20 as well. I really like it.

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
I use the ResMed AirFit P10 with good success. Comfortable for me.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the ResMed Mirage Liberty Full Face Mask for over 5 years. Instead of covering the nose, it has what they call nasal pillows. This is the only mask I've found that works with a beard and allows me to read (with glasses) before going to sleep.

Having year round allergies, the nasal only masks didn't work for me.

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 173 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
small nasal mask here, works like a champ, took me a month or two to LEARN to sleep with my mouth closed..now it is second nature

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist (43 years) and almost 20 years of CPAP use, myself. Feel free to contact me with specific questions and/or concerns. I have had access to many styles and brands of masks and machines and wouldn’t mind trying to help. By the way, I do not work for a company that sells anything related. I am Hospital based.
Regards
Eseaton
Esea2000@yahoo.com

Posts: 2476 | Location: E. of Mississippi River | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I’ve been on CPAP since around 2015. Started with a larger nasal mask, then switched to nasal pillows. My mouth opens when I sleep, so I use a chinstrap, which helps, but doesn’t completely resolve it. I’ve bee using a Philips Respironics System One until today, when I received a new ResMed AirSense 10 machine. It came with a nasal mask, and a heated tube, and it seems to fit better, than my previous nasal mask.

I tried a Dreamware View (I think it was called) but went back to the Nuance Pro nasal pillows and chinstrap. The guy that initially fit me for the device advised me to clean my gear once weekly with antibacterial dish soap (I use Palmolive) and hang dry. For the reservoir he said to fill it with only distilled water, then the next day top it off, and then dump it the next day. So far this regimen has been working fine.

I’m hoping the heated tubing will make a difference for me, as I live in a very low humidity area (Sonoran Desert) and I’m hoping I can dispense with the chinstrap. Tonight will be the first night with this new machine.

Another thing that sort of helps is Biotene gel for dry mouth.

Good luck with your CPAP; once you get used to it, it really will help you sleep better.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
I just started with a CPAP machine. It is a Resmed model 10 i believe. My mask is the F20 full mask. I am trying to get used to it but I wake during the night with a mouth as dry as the desert. Any ideas from experienced users?

Posts: 538 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a dream machine bipap and a ResMed mirage full face. I have used a cpap for more than 15 years. This is the best setup that works for me. I bought a So Clean, what a mistake. The ozone ate up the silicon seals in the machine and my mask. I ordered all new seals and the So clean is an expensive paper weight.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usmc-nav:
I just started with a CPAP machine. It is a Resmed model 10 i believe. My mask is the F20 full mask. I am trying to get used to it but I wake during the night with a mouth as dry as the desert. Any ideas from experienced users?

Does your machine have a humidifier tank? I think that’s key to not having a dry nose or mouth, I had to play with the humidity settings on my Philips DreamStation as what it came set at was like trying to breathe jungle air for me.

No dry mouth issues for me with the DreamWear mask, I actually just ordered the ResMed F30i and F20 to try out as well.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Haven’t cleaned my gear since November. I guess I’m negligent, it does dry out, I make a point of shorting the water a bit so it’ll cook off every few mornings. I do use distilled water as ours is pretty hard even after the softener.

I guess it’s time, you all have me scared now Roll Eyes

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
cleaning / maintenance.

daily - humidifier tank, a drop of dawn dishwasher liquid, fill, shake, rinse out a couple times, dry. nose pillow, a drop of dishwasher liquid in a bowl, soak, rinse, lay out to dry. nose pillow hose - wipe both ends.

twice a week - clean and rinse out nose pillow cloth strap, lay out to dry.

once a week - both hoses..., run liquid soap water through hose couple times, run clean water through, hang dry.

every few months - change out air filter.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Resmed Mirage full face version, very comfortable to me. My air pressure/flow settings are fairly high, I’m a mouth breather, and also use a humidifier as well.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
I have just started a CPAP a week ago still trying to figure this out. I had 67 interrupted cycles an hour during my sleep study, down to 13 but apparently 5 is the target number or less. Got top of head feeding system on the Phillips system. Can't stay asleep all night. I currently have a full face mask, may try the nasal version next. This thread has been very helpful.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ksss:
I have just started a CPAP a week ago still trying to figure this out. I had 67 interrupted cycles an hour during my sleep study, down to 13 but apparently 5 is the target number or less. Got top of head feeding system on the Phillips system. Can't stay asleep all night. I currently have a full face mask, may try the nasal version next. This thread has been very helpful.

That stinks. I started CPAP on February 1 and am doing well, I too had 60+ apneas according to the sleep study but am now down to 2-5 according to the machine. Still trying to find the “right” mask but slowly starting to get used to the one I have (Philips Resperonics DreamWear full face with the top hose) but am going to try a few more for good measure. I’m sleeping deeper than I have in years with some vivid/crazy dreams every night.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ksss:

dont give up. if you keep trying you will eventually sleep through the night

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a sleep study done about 10-12 years ago. Wife complaining about snoring.
Said I didn't have apnea, but I do snore.

Still snoring. Wife still annoyed. (Italian, scares me a little)
Can you get apnea after not having it? Should I get tested again?

Someone told me about some mouth appliance thing. Just afraid of swallowing it.

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
I had a sleep study done about 10-12 years ago. Wife complaining about snoring.
Said I didn't have apnea, but I do snore.

Still snoring. Wife still annoyed. (Italian, scares me a little)
Can you get apnea after not having it? Should I get tested again?

Someone told me about some mouth appliance thing. Just afraid of swallowing it.

Go to your doctor and insist you get checked. I too was snoring like crazy and driving my poor wife crazy plus waking up feeling like I was choking to death and unable to breathe. Like I was underwater and inhaled, it was some scary shit. Turned out after one sleep study that I had severe sleep apnea and never even realized it.

Not snoring anymore and the wife is happy.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
To get motivated to get the best possible sleep, read Dr. Walker's book: Why We Sleep.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post