Notify
Tools

Collections Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I am no longer into them, but I used to collect US coins, with a specific focus on the silver dollars. Any numismatists on here? Imagine owning and holding history in your hands, at the time the founding fathers were roaming the USA, such as the 1776 Continental "Dollar", the 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar. And, so many others. Amazing experience.

Now, it's just the boring guns.

I've been into coins in spurts, once in my early teens and more recently in the big silver run-up 6 or 8 years ago. I sold some common stuff then and bought earlier stuff like walking liberty halves, standing liberty quarters, mercury dimes that were hitting melt value. I figured, if the bottom drops, their numismatic value will hold better. I would stop at antique malls and pick up stuff well below spot. Problem is, I never sold it. Oh well. I also got into those Lucite 1960s coin cube desk sets then but they sit in a box along with my shot glass collection.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Compasses, generally ones I find interesting i.e. military, boy scout, marbles. Also shot glasses from places I've been. I started that from when I was a young Coast Guardsmen in Alaska.

Posts: 66 | Location: Kansas | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Aside from getting those little tin coins from National Parks when I happen to get to one while working, I don't collect anything really. And those are more like mementos than a collection.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I forgot, elongated pennies at tourist trap places. I have the kids into them too. They take up hardly any space and only cost 51 cents. There is a website devoted to them sponsored by the company that makes the machines. You can find the machines in each state and what the finished product looks like. WAY cheaper than crap in the gift shop.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
quote:
I am no longer into them, but I used to collect US coins, with a specific focus on the silver dollars. Any numismatists on here? Imagine owning and holding history in your hands, at the time the founding fathers were roaming the USA, such as the 1776 Continental "Dollar", the 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar. And, so many others. Amazing experience.

Now, it's just the boring guns.

I've been into coins in spurts, once in my early teens and more recently in the big silver run-up 6 or 8 years ago. I sold some common stuff then and bought earlier stuff like walking liberty halves, standing liberty quarters, mercury dimes that were hitting melt value. I figured, if the bottom drops, their numismatic value will hold better. I would stop at antique malls and pick up stuff well below spot. Problem is, I never sold it. Oh well. I also got into those Lucite 1960s coin cube desk sets then but they sit in a box along with my shot glass collection.

Yep, them Morgans are pretty to look at once and a while.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
memories

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:

Love rainbow toned Morgans.
Btw, got a 1893-S or a 1895 Proof Morgan?

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am on my third wife. Does that count?

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SigSentry:

Love rainbow toned Morgans.
Btw, got a 1893-S or a 1895 Proof Morgan?

Too rich for my blood. I have a few nice 78 tail feather variations though.

Definitely attrached to shiny objects Cool

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Besides books, classical music CDs, tools, guns, knives, and DVDs...plumb bobs:

How many plumb bob collectors do you know? Smile

Yes Sir, gotta keep the stripper poles perfectly erect. Big Grin

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My goodness, some of you have amazing collections. I have to find Jesus, all I've collected are redheads with daddy issues Roll Eyes

Posts: 634 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seem to collect tools, if that is a thing. I buy some I forget about that I even have or need.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marcushoss:
I am on my third wife. Does that count?

Do you keep the other two in the basement, or under it?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I collect shaving paraphernalia. It started in search of double edge razors and has gone into different bowls, brushes, all sorts of razors and other unique items.

Some are just for looking at, others I use in a rotation or when the mood suits me. Some are very expensive, others are worthless but still found their way into my collection.

No one goes into my bathroom without coming out with all sorts of questions about the items on display.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I'm a pack rat. I have several dozen logo golf balls. I try to get one from every course I play. I don't do much of that recently. I also have a variety of pocket watches, knives, and sundries from my father and grandfathers.

My current hobby is hitting thrift stores for books. I'm about 9 books shy of getting all the Clive Cussler books (there are around 50 total) (I haven't paid full price for any book for years). I also find some outstanding military history books. Just this week I found 15 of the 30 Alexander Kent novels - THAT was a rare find, as I only found his books once before.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my advice, enjoy your collections.

Your kids will probably one day say, What are we going to do with this shit!

A little humor for the thread!

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I seem to collect tools, if that is a thing. I buy some I forget about that I even have or need.

The local Sears Home Store is going out of business. Everything 30% off. I went in and must have spent half an hour trying to find a tool I wanted/needed/lusted after that I didn't already have, usually multiples of.

I walked out empty-handed. That was depressing.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Having shed half of my assets upon immigrating to Canada (and half of the remaining assets upon divorcing), I cannot collect anything. If I could, however, it would be books, musical instruments and coins, in that order.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turkey calls.

I have a few. Hunt with most of them.

Posts: 32 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: October 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Dust. A lot of dust.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post