SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fairbanks AK police kill heavily armed gunman
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fairbanks AK police kill heavily armed gunman Login/Join 
posted
I know, when you read "heavily armed" it usually means he had two spare mags for his handgun. Here's what he was carrying and wearing, great photos in the link but I'm not smart enough to post them. The bad guy had an AR, body and FACE armor, and

"...four fully loaded, 30-round magazines that had been tucked into his tactical vest, a fully loaded Glock 9 mm handgun with two fully loaded, 15-round magazines that Stover had worn on his belt and an additional seven fully loaded AR rifle magazines. Stover had 400 rounds loaded into magazines and ready to use..."

I was in Fairbanks on vacation but left there five days before this incident.

Complete article with photos and a 5:30 video of the brief shootout:

http://www.newsminer.com/news/...db-eb75745e232e.html

Fairbanks police: Shooter in June standoff was 'prepared to kill'

Dorothy Chomiczdchomicz@newsminer.com Nov 2, 2017 Updated 10 hrs ago

FAIRBANKS - A heavily armed gunman who was killed after firing on Fairbanks police June 19 at a snow dump near the Fairbanks Correctional Center came “prepared to kill, not to die,” Fairbanks police Chief Eric Jewkes said at a news conference Thursday afternoon.

Jewkes played footage of the shooting captured by a police dash cam and surveillance cameras at the jail. In the footage, Matthew Colton Stover, 21, is seen exiting his truck clad head to toe in black body armor and firing an AR-style rifle at two police vehicles, which had responded to the area after getting a report of a man carrying a rifle in the Denny’s parking lot at 3:30 a.m.

Stover had modified pieces of ballistic body armor to cover his legs, arms and neck as well as his chest. His face was covered with a black ballistic mask, but he did not wear a helmet. He was killed after officers hidden in the tree line parallel to him shot him three times in the head and in exposed parts of his torso.

Jewkes said this was the first time Fairbanks police had encountered such a heavily armed and armored assailant.

“Obviously, we’ve been down to this kind of incident before; we’ve had officer-involved shootings before. But this is what evil looks like, right here,” Jewkes said. “We’ve never seen this kind of preparation for war, really, before. It’s shocking, and that’s why we thought it’s important to really show you exactly what’s out there.”

After the shooting footage, Jewkes had officers remove a curtain, which revealed a life-sized mannequin dressed in Stover’s body armor and a table laden with the firearms and ammunition Stover had with him at the time of the shooting. These included his rifle, four fully loaded, 30-round magazines that had been tucked into his tactical vest, a fully loaded Glock 9 mm handgun with two fully loaded, 15-round magazines that Stover had worn on his belt and an additional seven fully loaded AR rifle magazines.

Stover had 400 rounds loaded into magazines and ready to use, with another box of 9 mm ammunition, Jewkes said.

Jewkes praised the actions of his officers and others whom he said helped to prevent a possible massacre.

“This is somebody that in our town made considerable preparations, planning, spent money on, and had started down a path to pave ... a road of destruction through this entire town,” Jewkes said.

“We have a group of truly just heroic officers that put themselves on the line, and they put a stop to this. It had started, it wasn’t in the planning stages,” Jewkes said. “Everything we know, he was ready and appeared to be hunting members of this town to hurt or kill.”

Jewkes said Stover’s recent internet search history before the shooting included videos depicting armed robberies, numerous searches about body armor, weapons systems and ammunition, bank robbery shootouts, footage of robbers brutally killing ATM guards or firing AK-47s at sheriff ’s officers, and information on how to make grenades, thermite and fuses.

Stover fired seven rounds at Fairbanks police, and they fired 30 rounds at him from semi-automatic rifles. Police were prepared for a firefight with Stover because personnel at the correctional center had a bird’s-eye view of Stover’s location and were able to report his actions to them. Stover started firing at police immediately after one of the officers hailed him over a loudspeaker.

Stover had no prior criminal history and a toxicology report showed he did not have drugs in his system. Stover is thought to have spent time in Northway but little else is known of his past or where he was from, Jewkes said.

Contact staff writer Dorothy Chomicz at 459-7582. Follow her on Twitter: @FDNMcrime.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Wow. Glad they put him down quick.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Action starts around 3:00 in the video.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
"He was killed after officers hidden in the tree line parallel to him shot him three times in the head and in exposed parts of his torso."

Sounds good to me. Smile

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
"He was killed after officers hidden in the tree line parallel to him shot him three times in the head and in exposed parts of his torso."

Sounds good to me. Smile

I was surprised they were as close as they were.

Were they in the woods? Didn't see any other units at the scene.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good for the officers involved. They did an excellent job of properly planning and setting up.

All that guy's attempts at preparation and custom body armor, and he was still DRT within less than a second of opening fire.

Dumbass.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stover fired seven rounds at Fairbanks police, and they fired 30 rounds at him

Yet we see the pictures of all his ammunition and magazines. Big Grin

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Good for the officers involved. They did an excellent job of properly planning and setting up.

All that guy's attempts at preparation and custom body armor, and he was still DRT within less than a second of opening fire.

Dumbass.

Like in real estate, it's location, location, location.

"Police were prepared for a firefight with Stover because personnel at the correctional center had a bird’s-eye view of Stover’s location and were able to report his actions to them."

The video shows a long gap (20 minutes?) from the time his truck was spotted outside the prison to when the PD told him to give up. Fairbanks PD used this time wisely.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Kind of curious what the newspaper story left out or screwed up? I think we have a Fairbanks LEO that is a regular here.

I’ve been to Fairbanks several dozen times between 09 and ‘16. I had no idea the prison was so close to Denny’s (furthest north Denny’s in the world).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23193 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he was copying the "Rampage" character with full body armor. No real training or experience luckily.

Posts: 1752 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Just a comment on the reporting: I have thought about this in the past, this is the first time I have said anything.

Why do "journalists" use the term "fully loaded?" Isn't anything ever partially loaded? Razz

I counted eight "fully loaded" occurrences in the quote in the Original Post. Eight. Not one single "partially loaded," or even a plain old "loaded." Nope, they were all "fully loaded."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Just a comment on the reporting: I have thought about this in the past, this is the first time I have said anything.

Why do "journalists" use the term "fully loaded?" Isn't anything ever partially loaded? Razz

I counted eight "fully loaded" occurrences in the quote in the Original Post. Eight. Not one single "partially loaded," or even a plain old "loaded." Nope, they were all "fully loaded."

Maybe he was good about doing his administrative reloads.

As a side note, I’m willing to bet that all of our search histories would make us look like terrorists.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, they sure smoked him pretty quickly, didn't they?

Idiot.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
That dash cam reminded me of LEEERRROOOOYYYY. JEEENNNKKKIINNNSSS

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'heavily armed' is right in this instance.

Nice job by the PD !!

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
That dash cam reminded me of LEEERRROOOOYYYY. JEEENNNKKKIINNNSSS

Careful man! We don’t want folks to know we’re WoW nerds.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Great response time and planning by FPD...only took them ~20 mins to set up shooters on this guy. Impressive work and excellent outcome. Almost like suicide by cop.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Great response time and planning by FPD...only took them ~20 mins to set up shooters on this guy. Impressive work and excellent outcome. Almost like suicide by cop.

I am just wondering how the guys got the Lt. to take the hey diddle diddle you go up the middle spot? Well played Officers!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I was wondering how the Lt managed to draw the short straw!

I'm glad they put him down as quickly as they did... Very nicely "executed" so to speak! Eek

Good Job, FPD!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Thankfully the well equipped gunman was a very poor tactician.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post