SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Devastated - GOT THE JOB!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Devastated - GOT THE JOB! Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
I was told the offer is coming, we have to keep it open internally for 2 weeks and go through the HR motions June 15.

Come Monday, I was told by my recruiter they would have the offer by 7/11 close of business. The offer never came. Yesterday, nothing. Today I get a call from the sales manager that if they hadn't have dicked off for a month, I would have already started. Now, the CEO has a buddy that was CEO of a company he was forced out of, so now that guy is being vetted for the position I was told I already had.

I did everything everyone says don't. I turned down an offer from my 2nd choice. I quit interviewing.

Now, I will find out next week that more than likely the CEO has pushed that guy into the job leaving me SOL.

I don't know if I am more mad at myself or them.

My current company is killing me and I don't know how much longer I can deal with it. Starting the entire job search over again after waiting 7 months for this job is agonizing.

Sorry to vent but I am at a total loss.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIG4EVA,

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7056 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
SIG4EVA,

I'm sorry to hear the news. There's not much I can say but my e-mail is in my profile if you want someone to curse at.

Posts: 13043 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23935 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. Remember- You come first.

In my opinion- Things have changed. Put your best interests first. Everyone else does.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear this.

Usually, things have a tendency to work out for the best.

A friend of mine went through a similar situation a few months ago. Out of the blue one day she got a call from from someone about a position, she interviewed for it and is now a VP in the company.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. I know how it is to be trapped in a job you don't like and desperately searching for an alternative.

Don't be made at yourself. You did nothing wrong. Don't waste efforts, time and effort being mad at them - they suck, it's life, shit happens and it's wasted energy. Focus on getting a new job. Period.

Best wishes.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12682 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Call job 2 see if it's still open, reapply...

Posts: 23235 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It may not seem like it right now but you're probably better off having found out what shitheels they are before you got any more time invested with them.

Posts: 26849 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Don't give up just yet. Never now how these things go. A lot can change at this juncture. Don't assume anything.

If what you explained does happen don't be "devastated."

Keep moving forward. It will work out as long as you do.

Best of luck.

Obstacles and hurdles are just part of the deal.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19108 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
I know nothing can be said to help what you are going through now but its better to find out now what a company is made of before going through getting hired and then finding out later.
While you may have been dealing with some great folks through the process if the heads are going to circumvent the structure in place for hiring then that would be some really big red flags about the top end of that company.
Things happen for a reason.
Keep your head straight and get back to applying. The right opportunity will come along and I'd bet it'll be even better then what you thought you missed out on now.

and

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
It may not seem like it right now but you're probably better off having found out what shitheels they are before you got any more time invested with them.

I wouldn't sit around a week waiting for them to answer. If by chance, and it sounds like you understand this is a slim one, they come back with an offer I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to accept unless your current position is literally killing you. Or I suppose accept with the intention of continuing your search...

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Sorry about what's happening.

The hiring manager, leadership and the HR department in your company is at fault here. NEVER - and I mean NEVER - should a potential hire be told he has a job or the offer "is coming tomorrow" or whenever.

Did I say that should NEVER happen? Just want to make sure.

This is why. Shit comes up, shit changes and then the leadership (HR/hiring manager) just pisses people off. What's even worse is when they put it in writing that "you've got the gig, but we're just going through everything and you'll have an offer on July 11."

That's just unacceptable and outright stupid.

When I first put my toe into the corporate world, I was working as a temp for a department. I applied for a FT job with another department that worked very closely with the one I was temping for. Went to lunch together, sat right in the same cube farm. The manger I would be working for was literally across the aisle from me. I could turn my head and see him.

I thought it was strange as hell that everything was so quiet about the process. Then I got a call from the HR department - from someone I never met - with the job offer. I looked across the aisle at Tony and he saw the expression on my face and just chuckled.

I was like, "WTF, why not just walk over or offer it to me personally?" I learned that's just the way it's supposed to work. Later, I realized why when the same thing happened to a few other people I worked with that happened to you. Totally sucked.

Sorry again.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Honestly, given only the scant details in your post, this might be a blessing in disguise...

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I empathize with you. I too have gone through the same process two years ago. After being jostled back and forth with offers that did not materialize in writing, I decided to form my own company and do something I really liked. I sell firearms, teach CCW classes, and do some gunsmithing. I'm happy with the change.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
I have seen it happen before, sorry it happened to you

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

+1, consider it a blessing in disguise.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
No offense but I’ve been in the exact same situation multiple times where I didn’t have a job at all. At least you are getting a check. Do some pushups and start applying again. If they want to crony fill then F that place and move on.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12566 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
this may have been actually good news in disguise

have a beer, enjoy the weekend

start looking for a better job on Monday as you can be sure the people at the previous position wouldn't hesitate to hang you out to dry

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53080 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sorry man, that really sucks.

quote:
I did everything everyone says don't. I turned down an offer from my 2nd choice. I quit interviewing.
Fortunately you see the error of your ways. It's just business, so in the future don't make the same mistake. My wife is doing the company switch and I've told her "until it's on paper and signed, nothing is final, so if someone makes a better offer, go with it".

And while you hate your current job, you still have work. Buck up and soldier on - something else will turn up.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep the resume hot and widely in circulation. Never stop interviewing, though you have a job. A company will always act in it's own interest, not yours, and all your superiors will ever be interested in is how they look to the one above them. All that rolls downhill is waste. Never be so good at a job that you can't be replaced, because you can't be promoted.

Never take a job that you're not willing to leave, and always have a plan to do it. It's empowering.

It may be that you don't have the job you hoped because you're not the asshole that the others are. That makes you the better person; keep that in mind as you move on.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hang in there man.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post