SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Devastated - GOT THE JOB!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Devastated - GOT THE JOB! Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I was in the third interview for a job I was a perfect fit for. I knew lots of people in the bldg, had plenty putting in good words for me, stopping to say hello in the hallway each time I was there for an interview, coming down to the lobby to chat while I waited for the interviewer, etc. This one was just the big boss and myself. At the end of the interview he said, "I know you're a great fit for this one and you should be hearing positive news from the recruiter later today." Guess how that went. Radio silence for two weeks, then a robo-rejection email.

Before Mrs. Lee and I got serious, she was in dire need of an H-1 sponsor before her OPT year expired. One place she had been interviewing kept telling her an offer was coming, but they couldn't specify a date. She finally had to take another job, though it wasn't offering H1 sponsorship. Six weeks later the first one finally came through with an offer and she took it. The other employer was irate at her for quitting and said he'd force her to pay for his ads to find a replacement. I really enjoyed writing him a response to that one.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
For those of us who might know someone but are not really sure what BDM/NAM means, can you spell it out?

Willing to relocate?

Basically outside sales. BDM = Business Development Manager. NAM = National Account Manager

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Nice breakup letter. I'm sure he wants to keep in touch when CEOs buddy doesnt work out.

Jerel,

I wanted to reach out to you let you know how much we appreciated your interest in ATA and your professional manner during our interview process. We had to make a very difficult decision between two high-caliber candidates and it was certainly not easy. Now that we’ve had the chance to learn more about you, I would like to stay in touch moving forward. Also, I am happy to answer your questions if you would like any specific feedback about your candidacy.

Thanks again for your interest and best of luck with your job search.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Nice breakup letter. I'm sure he wants to keep in touch when CEOs buddy doesnt work out.

Jerel,

I wanted to reach out to you let you know how much we appreciated your interest in ATA and your professional manner during our interview process. We had to make a very difficult decision between two high-caliber candidates and it was certainly not easy. Now that we’ve had the chance to learn more about you, I would like to stay in touch moving forward. Also, I am happy to answer your questions if you would like any specific feedback about your candidacy.

Would "reach out and jerk this, asshole" be an appropriate response?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jerel,

Keep it professional. But I'd ask why you were essentially guaranteed the job by so and so but didn't get it. Was the head hunter yanking your chain or someone within ATA?

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by pingman274:
quote:
Originally posted by Censored:
I have seen it happen before, sorry it happened to you

I have too. A friend of mine had her written offer retracted when she showed up for her first day. All sorts of bizarre shit can happen during a job search.

I would also offer an ear to bend. Hang in there.

I hope your friend found a damn good Attorney to $$$ spank $$$ that company.

For what? Many of us are employed at will. They just stated that business conditions had changed and that her position had been eliminated.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

Come Monday, I was told by my recruiter they would have the offer by 7/11 close of business. The offer never came. Yesterday, nothing. Today I get a call from the sales manager that if they hadn't have dicked off for a month, I would have already started. Now, the CEO has a buddy that was CEO of a company he was forced out of, so now that guy is being vetted for the position I was told I already had.

Sounds like some people from that company were fast and loose with information that NEVER should have been told to a prospective employee. All they should have told you was that they were still vetting applicants and that they would have a decision soon.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
marksman41 that was my first instinct but probably not the best.

Russ59, the sales manager is the one that said I would have the offer by end of day Wed. He said that Monday the same week. The CEO made him stop the offer to consider his buddy on Tuesday.

I want to rip him but at the same time, he has to do what the CEO tells him to. We got a long really well. I forgot to mention but I picked him up from the airport for the 2nd interview a week after my son was born. I also had the 3rd interview a day before my wife and children went back to Taiwan for 3 months.

The recruiter was as sick and dumbfounded as I was and she's been doing it for 30 years.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I GOT THE JOB!!!! God is great! The new job that I just accepted pays more, has a better commission plan, and fought to get me by giving me more PTO and paying my COBRA for the first 2 months.

The company is a direct competitor to the one that screwed me too. Big Grin

Thank you guys for the thoughts and prayers, I couldn't be happier.

PS-Thank you for the members that reached out directly for your help. It meant the world to me.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Great to hear!!!!!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
That's great!

I was turned down for a job opening that should have been a sure thing for me. Although a little disappointed, I'm taking the view that a better outcome is still to be had. This reaffirms that a disappointment could be followed by something better. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best outcome possible. Congrats!

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Great to hear!!!

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The company is a direct competitor to the one that screwed me too.

This is not going to work out too well for your former employer. I think you will be a man on a mission.Give em hell.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Woo hoo! Congrats!

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Who doesn't love a happy ending! Congrats and good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
That's awesome news!

Been following this thread since you started it and was hoping for the best.

Congratulations!

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome, there is always a plan.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
“You never can tell whether bad luck may not after all turn out to be good luck. One must never forget when misfortunes come that it is quite possible they are saving one from something much worse; or that when you make some great mistake, it may very easily serve you better than the best-advised decision. Life is a whole, and luck is a whole, and no part of them can be separated from the rest.” Winston Churchill

I have realized on a number of occasions that, for some reason I could not fathom, I wasn’t able to get what I wanted, only to later realize that what I ended up with was far better than what I hoped for.

This sounds like another of those occasions. Aren’t you glad?

Congratulations.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post