SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Devastated - GOT THE JOB!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Devastated - GOT THE JOB! Login/Join 
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this news. Keep a stiff upper lip and continue the search. As others have said, this may be a blessing in disguise. "I will find something better" is the attitude you need to have.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Censored:
I have seen it happen before, sorry it happened to you

I have too. A friend of mine had her written offer retracted when she showed up for her first day. All sorts of bizarre shit can happen during a job search.

I would also offer an ear to bend. Hang in there.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Call job 2 see if it's still open, reapply...

That’s what I would do. Tell them your dog typed that email turning them down.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to reassure you sometimes things DO work
Out for the better! I took a leap of faith relocating 2200 miles a couple years ago. My professional license get hung up in red tape, and had two job offers go south. A week after the second one went south I took an interview and got a job for about 20k a year more for less hours worked. Keep at it!

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Even if the promise of the position was only implied and not express, people who renege on promises were not somebody you would have had a future with anyway.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Sad news, wondering if it is somehow possible to retaliate for the waste of your time...

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Call job 2 see if it's still open, reapply...

That’s what I would do. Tell them your dog typed that email turning them down.

Tell them the truth, that your job offered you a position just to keep you from leaving, then renegged just to sabotage you.

I've seen this happen for the exact same reasons. They have seen it happen too when trying to recruit.

Bail immediately and don't look back. Give no reason, just go. You can no longer trust where you work.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dude, your glass is half full!
quote:

I did everything everyone says don't. I turned down an offer from my 2nd choice. I quit interviewing.

Don't sell yourself short.

You were being smart. Very smart. Smart doesn't take the second choice, smart goes for the first choice. Turns out the first choice sucked. No way to tell?

You had at least one other offer and you turned it down. OK. You have a skill set that is in demand. That is a good thing!

Take a minute, get over it, blow the dust off of your resume (there can't be much), and get it back in circulation. You will have a better offer really soon! Go out there and take a few names while your kicking ass!

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for the words of encouragement and advice. I wrote this right after I found out.

I was contacted about this position 7 months ago. The guy that was doing it had been there 28 years and basically quit producing. They gave me 1.5 years to improve and he didn't, so they finally let him go at the beginning of June. I actually picked up the sales manager from the airport and had a lunch interview for my 2nd one. I figured that was good brownie points. 3rd interview was at their HQ in OH on 6/12. I was told going in I was the #1 candidate and there was only one other guy that interviewed the day before.

I had a great interview with the CEO, HR manager and sales manager, did the plant tour, etc. After that, they old me the next week that I was the candidate they were choosing but they had to go through the HR motions and hold it open internally for 2 weeks. The sales manager said they were shooting for end of June and that obviously passed. The recruiter kept in touch and reaffirmed I was the only candidate.

Come last Monday, she emailed the sales manager asking if an offer was coming or not at 2:28. At 2:29 he replied YES, I would have the offer by close of business Wed. That came and passed as well. The recruiter had outpatient surgery and said it would probably come Thursday. That also passed. I had a feeling after Wed. that this was going south as it they had dragged it on forever.

10AM on Friday I get a call from the sales manager and knew something bad happened. He explained that if they had made the offer last week, I would already be working. Instead, they dicked off and the CEO's buddy got forced out of his own business and needed a job so they are vetting him for the position I was already told I was receiving an offer on. He was noticeably bummed and said it sucks and he has to entertain it since the CEO was pushing it.

So there is a minute possibility that I may still receive the offer but that's extremely unlikely.

I wanted to get down and drunk but I decided that was stupid. I ended up reaching out to all the recruiter that pinged me in the last 2 weeks. The job I declined with Ricoh is gone but I really didn't want to work for them anyway. It was just a backup and not much more money than I make now but way more work. I also had a recruiting firm that wants to interview me and recommend me to their clients so that's a plus. I also applied to a few postings as well.

What's devastating is that I've been in inside sales for 10 years and I know I can do much better. My current role I do more hybrid inside/outside sales already and I'm extremely successful. The rub is that my company made such an unfavorable comp plan that I will make ~$29,000 less than I did last year despite a goal that's much higher and them siphoning off my top accounts to feed BDM's that are failing. I've been over goal 3 years in a role and got an outstanding sales award last year. It all boils to having the most toxic manager I've ever encountered and he has insured that I will no longer make money in my current company. My fixed expense are too high for the money I am making now. It would have been an ~$50,000 pay bump.

With the addition of my son two months ago, I am stressed out because I'm not able to get out of debt. I'm not in a horrible position because I do have enough firearms/ammo to sell off but I am really not trying to do that. Sorry to vent all of this but with my wife and kids in Taiwan, life is a bit more stressful. If you can throw some prayers my way I would really appreciate it. I know that I should be able to get another job, I just hope it's sooner than later.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIG4EVA,

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
With the addition of my son two months ago, I am stressed out because I'm not able to get out of debt. I'm not in a horrible position because I do have enough firearms/ammo to sell off but I am really not trying to do that. Sorry to vent all of this but with my wife and kids in Taiwan, life is a bit more stressful. If you can throw some prayers my way I would really appreciate it. I know that I should be able to get another job, I just hope it's sooner than later.

I'm going to send good thoughts your way, not to have your problems fixed but for you to calm down. Sig, you're going to do fine, you're just feeling overwhelmed. A new kid will do thatBig Grin BIG.TIME. Pick a problem, debt or job or whatever, and attack it. I would think the job would help fix the debt problem, but you make the choice. You will be amazed at the increase in clarity in your life as you knock down issues one at a time. Make a plan, write it down, and get after it. Celebrate the victories, it's fun. Take care.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
This sounds like my last 3 jobs, HR is usually the fall guy for the middle management douches, spreadsheet commandos all of them
If you’re not making something, or selling it, you’re overhead.
But the tail does tend to wag the dog.

I think this country’s biggest problem is every medium sized or bigger corporation ends up public
Then the upper brass is only concerned with the next quarter, and their golden parachute of course

You used to be able to walk down the hall and talk to the owner at most companies, or at least someone with the owners ear

Now the owner is a dividend statement

I feel you man, I’ve quit 2 jobs in the last year, and got rehired at the first one I quit.
Its a coin toss if I make it the end of the year.

My advice to anyone is pay off all the bills you can and save up an emergency fund that you can live on for several months if at all possible.

I’m considering opening a bar, that’s basically a retirement plan for many here in WV lol.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Update: I got confirmation they did make the offer to their CEO's buddy and shafted me. I've had 2 interviews since but nothing close to what this would have been. I know it was God closing one door to open another and I am confidently looking. Thanks again for the great advice, thoughts and prayers. If anybody needs a good BDM/NAM for technology sales, feel free to reach out.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I know it was God closing one door to open another and I am confidently looking.

I have been reading this thread and I wanted to say I am sorry you have had to deal with this. My thoughts are the offer you feel you lost was never really lost. If the CEO felt it was OK to reach in and change the process that late in the game, no detail you were told by others can be taken as certain.

You may well have been jumping from one bad situation into another. I will keep you in my prayers that this works out for the best for you soon.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
For those of us who might know someone but are not really sure what BDM/NAM means, can you spell it out?

Willing to relocate?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I believe it's Business Development Manager. I have to deal with them as well. Effin weasels

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pingman274:
quote:
Originally posted by Censored:
I have seen it happen before, sorry it happened to you

I have too. A friend of mine had her written offer retracted when she showed up for her first day. All sorts of bizarre shit can happen during a job search.

I would also offer an ear to bend. Hang in there.

I hope your friend found a damn good Attorney to $$$ spank $$$ that company.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
That’s pretty brutal but not surprising in today's business world.

E-mail sent.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s pretty brutal but not surprising in today's business world.

Not just today's world, in fact I suppose it goes back to the Greeks.

Forty years ago, after a long, long, search process, I found what I though was the perfect job, work, money, responsibility, potential, location, everything I was looking for including local employment possibilities for my wife. I went through the entire process at considerable cost to them and using of most of my vacation days.
I thought I was the perfect fit and those I talked with indicated the same. The vibes were so strong that we looked for houses.

So I waited and waited, much encouragement at first, and then silence. I took a break from the search without closing doors, but after six months I took another job.

About six months after I started the new job I was contacted by my "perfect potential job" offering me the position. It seems they had given a friend of the chairman a shot at it, and he failed.
I did not accept the offer, to me it indicated a long term potential problem, if an organization is willing to abandon the process in favor of "friends of the family" what does the future hold for those not friends?

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I third the option of feeling out if the 2nd job offer is on the table.

I also second your attitude about this door closing for the better.

I kid you not. It turns out I interviewed with a guy 3 different times for 3 different companies over a period of years. First two times I didn’t get the job and I was dissappy. Third time, I got the job and he turned out to be the worst manager ever; so much so I quit. Turned out he had a history of being a nad manager and was walked out at least once. I ended up in a good place - I found out I don’t have to work anymore but the experience showed me that all the closed doors I experienced before were blessings in disguise. I can’t imagine how my career would have went if I had worked for him earlier in my career.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Great advice...if that company is hiring buddies over talent, maybe you don't want to work there.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post