SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The green egg smoker
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The green egg smoker Login/Join 
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I'd love to have one but am not rich enough to drop 1200 bucks on a smoker. Confused

A coworker has one and raves about it.

I like my Vision grill better actually. And it is $549 at Sam's tight now

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
We named it the breakfast bomb. Scrambled eggs, with white cheddar and a bit of maple syrup, stuffed inside of ground breakfast sausage, we use mild, spicy if the kids arent eating any, wrapped in a bacon lattice. 180° for about an hour and a half or so with either mesquite or hickory. The mrs does the rolling/wrapping and I do the cooking. She likes to add more white cheddar to it so its gooey in the middle. Served with biscuits.

Your bacon gets done at 180 in a hour?
I haven't done much bacon wrapped but seems my bacon is not done enough ~ maybe wrong bacon? Confused

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:

We named it the breakfast bomb. Scrambled eggs, with white cheddar and a bit of maple syrup, stuffed inside of ground breakfast sausage, we use mild, spicy if the kids arent eating any, wrapped in a bacon lattice. 180° for about an hour and a half or so with either mesquite or hickory. The mrs does the rolling/wrapping and I do the cooking. She likes to add more white cheddar to it so its gooey in the middle. Served with biscuits.

My god...yum.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Hour and a half or so. I dont really watch the time, i light up a cigar and check it every 30 minutes or so until it looks done, or cheese starts oozing out.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a small Big Green Egg. I use it often and really like it.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I have a Kamado Joe and I compete in a charity competition in Birmingham each year using a BGE, so I have some experience with both. My preference is for the Joe, both for the versatility of the cooking system and the easy cleanout of the ashes. However, both are excellent. I don't see myself ever going back from the kamado style grill. They are just so darn versatile and fun to cook with. You can sear a steak at 700 degrees or smoke a brisket all night at 200 degrees with almost no fuss or maintenance.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
I have a Kamado Joe and I compete in a charity competition in Birmingham each year using a BGE, so I have some experience with both. My preference is for the Joe, both for the versatility of the cooking system and the easy cleanout of the ashes. However, both are excellent. I don't see myself ever going back from the kamado style grill. They are just so darn versatile and fun to cook with. You can sear a steak at 700 degrees or smoke a brisket all night at 200 degrees with almost no fuss or maintenance.

Now that's what I'm talking about. I have a craving or an urge to try thin crust pizzas on there. All the pork and beef to think on and I'm interested in pizza!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
We did homemade pizza too, it was really good! Use a pizza stone for a crispy crust.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
We did homemade pizza too, it was really good! Use a pizza stone for a crispy crust.

We cook Papa Murphy's pizza on our Weber Performer often and they come out perfect with a great smoky flavor. Yum.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
My BGE was not a purchase I took lightly. It was a lot of money. I bought one when I retired and had more time to spend using it. It's hard to beat the convenience of propane.

I will say that after a couple of months I regret not biting the bullet on one sooner.

I love the versatility. It will hold a 225 degree smoke for 24 hours or you can fire it up to 650 degrees for steak, 3.5 minutes on each side is a perfect medium rare for the beef we buy.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Kamado Joe: Big Joe. Look for them at Costco during the road show....pricing can't be beat.

Use mine all the time and it's a breeze. Get good lump charcoal and enjoy!

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
You all are killing me here. I pulled out my old propane grill a couple weeks back for spring cleaning to find multiple rotted out sections inside. It sucks I do sheet metal for a living and can build the replacement parts.

Of course strolling through Costco over the weekend I see the Kamodo Joe and think. My smoker is old and not very versatile. My BBQ is getting nasty. Hmmmm

Now I'm torn, because I'm a cheap bastard by nature.

aawwww

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
You all are killing me here. I pulled out my old propane grill a couple weeks back for spring cleaning to find multiple rotted out sections inside. It sucks I do sheet metal for a living and can build the replacement parts.

Of course strolling through Costco over the weekend I see the Kamodo Joe and think. My smoker is old and not very versatile. My BBQ is getting nasty. Hmmmm

Now I'm torn, because I'm a cheap bastard by nature.

aawwww
I know exactly how you feel. I ended up forgoing Christmas and birthday presents from my wife for a while to cover my Kamado Joe (my idea, not hers). It was the only way I could justify it in my mind. Think of it this way - 20 years from now you'll still be cooking on your kamado and won't remember or care what it cost when you bought it.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive had a large BGE for about a year. I can say I really like to cook on it and have smoked, brisket, ribs chicken. Cooked steaks. pork chops, pork loin etc etc etc. I really like it

I also have a Napoleon gas grill. But, sometimes one just has to have the flexibility to how you want stuff to taste

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for about four years and I just love it.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use a pizza stone for a crispy crust.

I've broken three stones in my Egg over the past few years.

I went to a pizza steel and haven't looked back.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Love my BGE. I have a large, which is a good size for a family of 4 and/or some guests. It's not a compliant, but it does take some time to get going. Because of this, I also have a propane grill. Sometimes I want the ease of just turning it on and quickly grilling a piece of fish (or whatever) if I get home late from work.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
www.kamadoguru.com

its the SF of kamados

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have a large Big Green Egg.

It is simply superb.

Ribs, brisket, chicken, steaks, roast vegetables. Lately I have been baking bread and cooking chili in a large cast iron dutch oven.

I typically only grill direct anymore when I want to cook steaks. Even when I do burgers I use the plate setter and cook them at a lower temp for longer. There is zero risk of accidental burning or overcooking if you pay just a modicum of attention to them.

After 4-5 years of use my ceramic plate setter cracked, and I replaced it with a cast iron one. If you are buying new, buy the cast iron. It should be a lifetime purchase.

I have smoked ribs and brisket @225 when it was below freezing, the heat retention is unparalleled. Conversely I usually sear steaks @ 650 or so.

Whole chickens on a vertical chicken roaster will provide the best chickens you have ever had. But don't fall for the beer can nonsense. You want to allow air to pass through the central cavity of the bird, which is advantageous for guaranteeing even cooking in the breasts and thighs. The wings are always done early, I pull them off for a taste test after an hour.

It is simpler and faster to do chick thighs, I can arrange them on a rib rack over top of a grill pan containing sliced up zucchini, yellow squash, sweet peppers, red onions, and sliced mushrooms, tossed in some apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Around the outside I will put some foil wrapped potatoes.

I can cook an essentially complete meal for 6 adults, in about an hour, all at the same time and same temperature on the egg.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post