SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The green egg smoker
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The green egg smoker Login/Join 
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I have the Kamado Joe as well, and it has been great I cook with it year round, the fire ring on it cracked (still usable) I emailed them about it, and 3 days later a new one was on my doorstep.

And the Kamado Joe dealer is right here in town.

One of the best investments I have made.

Here was a Bacon Explosion I made with it.

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for several years and am very happy with it. I've done smoking, grilling, and baking. Good stuff.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Bought a Vision Classic when Costco carried them years ago. The equivalent BGE would have cost about 3X the price when you consider the stand and side tables it came with. I've been extremely happy with it. I can smoke bacon at 175, pizza at 650, or anything in between. Its awesome. I highly recommend kamodo cooking - many good cookers out there, you choose what price you want to pay.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
BGE is great. I've had two. The first one some misfit of society stole out of my yard. The second one of bolted to the patio. I cook only year round. The only time I shy away is during thunder and lightening storms.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
I own two. One for home and one for work. They are great. They are pricy but worth it. You need the plate setter. Do not buy one without it. You can't really smoke without a plate setter.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I've got a Weber stand up smoker (looks like a black R2D2)-the cold really affects it and my prior smoker...a side box smoker.

Buddy has a BGE and it is pretty much perfect....cold doesn't bother it at all

But sweet jeebus was it expensive

MikeinNC,
I have that R2D2 Webber and use it for one single purpose...making jerky.

I will hang three pieces of meat per toothpick and hang them down thru the top grill. I will use hickory or pecan wood and smoke it for about an hour. Afterwards I will set it over a hot plate set on LOW (this is important) overnight. The next day it is jerky.

I will use London broil cut in strips or deer meat when I have it. Prior to putting the meat on the grill I will use a bit of Tony Chachere's and lots of course ground black pepper. (Just salt, pepper, and garlic powder works too.)

CW

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
Thanks all for replying. I think I'm sold except for checking out Kamodo Joe.
I might get a smaller one to try for a couple of years, and upgrade if needed.

I thought the same thing and bought a medium BGE. I regretted it almost immediately. Most everything I cook will fit on it, but I really wish I had bought the large. Aside from being able to fit more food on it, there are a lot more accessories available for it.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I thought this was about Hunter S. Thompson.

< exit, stage left >

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd recommend just going with a large. There will be times when you want the space. Like someone else said its like buying a safe. You'll never wish you had gone smaller.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
One of my creations.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I love my BGE, I have smoked brisket, ribs, shoulders and butts couldn't be happier.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. My wife isn't crazy about smoked meats, and thinks I'm crazy wanting to buy one.
We don't have much for quality smoking in VT,
I just can't take it any more.
Just thought of smoked baked beans! Had them years ago, they were awesome!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
One of my creations.

WTF, man?? A pic like that and no details? It looks like a bacon explosion, but with some modifications.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

DON'T. You will ALWAYS run into a situation where you'll wish you had the larger one. If you're going to smoke a pork butt for example, it's so many hours etc, you might as well do two......etc. etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You won't regret the Kamodo Joe, it comes with the smoking plate.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
We decided to get the medium BGE since we have no children at home. It is awesome!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have a medium egg and it's the perfect size for 2-ish people. Any more and I'd get a large.

I, too, have had no issues whatsoever in the cold. I cook, smoke, and bake on it year 'round.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Buddy has a BGE and it is pretty much perfect....cold doesn't bother it at all

But sweet jeebus was it expensive

Then don't look at the XL BGE. Looks like it would take two bags of charcoal to fill it. It's fargin' YUGE.

I just have the large and it's fine for most of what I cook. Ribs on the BGE are pure magic.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
And when you want to know most everything there is about ceramic cookers, make sure you read up here:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
One of my creations.

WTF, man?? A pic like that and no details? It looks like a bacon explosion, but with some modifications.

We named it the breakfast bomb. Scrambled eggs, with white cheddar and a bit of maple syrup, stuffed inside of ground breakfast sausage, we use mild, spicy if the kids arent eating any, wrapped in a bacon lattice. 180° for about an hour and a half or so with either mesquite or hickory. The mrs does the rolling/wrapping and I do the cooking. She likes to add more white cheddar to it so its gooey in the middle. Served with biscuits.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post