SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The green egg smoker
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The green egg smoker Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have this? I was thinking about getting a pellet smoker, I like the idea of being to smoke or grill so looking something that will run 200-500 degrees. But found out they struggle when it's cool out.
I've been watching YouTube videos on these and look awesome.
Your opinions and advice are welcome, especially seeing how expensive they are.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
There was a thread about the big green egg[BGE] last year. Consensus was it is pretty awesome smoker. I have a traeger, no issues in the cold but you will get better smoke from a bge and be able to hit any temp you want where as the traeger type stuff stops around 475°. I opted for the traeger out of pure laziness. If i was going to truly smoke id prolly go for a BGE or similar type grill. There are a few other brands that were mentioned in the thread too that are similar to BGE

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've got a Weber stand up smoker (looks like a black R2D2)-the cold really affects it and my prior smoker...a side box smoker.

Buddy has a BGE and it is pretty much perfect....cold doesn't bother it at all

But sweet jeebus was it expensive

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I love mine. I bought mine in Alaska, cooked year around with it there, moved it to Calgary, cooked year around with it there, moved it to Houston, and cook with it here.

Here is Thanksgiving dinner a few years back in Alaska:

It doesn't struggle when cold out and will use less charcoal than uninsulated smokers/grills. BTW, the OP's cooking temp range is off too - 160F to 750+F.

Dealer experience and support is important. Take a look at BGE, Primo, and Kamodo Joe. All have high quality ceramics and as a result have 20+ year warranties (Lots of knock-offs on the market with short warranties). In my case, the Primo vs big green egg vs Kamodo Joe decision was easy. The Primo dealer sucked (zero inventory, 12 week delivery, and had to look up the prices), there was no Kamodo Joe dealer, and the big green egg dealer was awesome (every model on display, had every model in stock, the salesman owned multiple, the salesman bought them for his adult children, and was a wealth of knowledge).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had a BGE for 7 years or so. Very versitile and very easy to grill or smoke on after a short learning curve. Komado Joe makes a good looking product as well. I'd stick with one of the brands that has a lifetime warranty as the ceramic occasionally cracks.
I'd recommend spending some time over at egghead forum.com. Lots of good advice there. Have a peek at the table section as there are some beautiful examples there.

Very glad I bought mine. Use it alot.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have one but am not rich enough to drop 1200 bucks on a smoker. Confused

A coworker has one and raves about it.

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have the Kamodo Joe, which is like the BGE, but comes with all the necessary accessories included.

I am beyond pleased with it.

It was substantially less than the BGE and is available at ACE Hardware and Costco.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
Anyone have this? I was thinking about getting a pellet smoker, I like the idea of being to smoke or grill so looking something that will run 200-500 degrees. But found out they struggle when it's cool out.
I've been watching YouTube videos on these and look awesome.
Your opinions and advice are welcome, especially seeing how expensive they are.

I've done a ton of research on pellet smokers and I really like this one Rec Tec appears to well made and a great warranty. Sadly I just missed a scratch and dent sale in March !! I especially like the cold smoke add on box, a great way to smoke cheese or salmon.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here's two 11lb Boston Butts on my Joe.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I bought my large BGE at an 'Egg-Fest'. Once a year, our local dealer has an outdoor cooking demonstration with about 25 BGEs. Most of these Eggs are brand new, store inventory. The purpose is to introduce potential buyers to the foods that can be cooked on an Egg. Experienced owners come and cook anything from beef to cakes to cookies and for a small eating fee, you can pass through and have a pretty good lunch. I think we paid $15 for each of our tickets.

These 'once baked eggs' are then sold for about 20% off with additional savings on eggcessories.

I reserved mine a couple of weeks before the big show and haven't regretted since. That was about 5 years ago.

Look for Egg-Fests in your area.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I have the chargriller acorn. Very happy with it. The smoking stone was 40$ and the cover was 25$ so add 65$ to the cost.

The food comes out amazing. The chargriller is steel not ceramic so a cover is needed, and i wouldn't take temps past 6-700 but i only use it for low and slow cooking. Clean up is easy and there is a ton of accessories you can buy for it. My next one is a temp control fan.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
But found out they struggle when it's cool out.

I've had no problems w/ mine in the winter. The ceramic is thick enough that it retains heat well for low and slow.
Your post is the first time I've ever heard that.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
This topic has come up before on the forum and I will admit to being an unapologetic egghead, I even have more than one t-shirt! To me the BGE is the SIG of backyard cooking. I bought one about 8 years ago and I did not really know how to grill or smoke anything at the time. I have become a pretty good cook now thanks to attending a few eggfests and reading the eggheadforum.

Yes I spent a some money on it but it a combination grill and smoker that does not really compromise in any area, and it has a lifetime warranty. Sear a steak at 700* with ease, or smoke a brisket at 250* for 15 hours on one load of lump charcoal.

The second biggest recommendation I have is go to thermoworks.com and get a thermopop for $29, or the more expensive thermompen. So many recipes say cook till done, well I didn't know when done was before I got an instant read thermometer and would burn things up.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for replying. I think I'm sold except for checking out Kamodo Joe.
I might get a smaller one to try for a couple of years, and upgrade if needed.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I have the Kamodo Joe, which is like the BGE, but comes with all the necessary accessories included.

I am beyond pleased with it.

It was substantially less than the BGE and is available at ACE Hardware and Costco.

I think it is a better design too and I have TWO BGE's. Eek

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO, buying a kamodo is like buying a gun safe - buy more than you think you need.

Racks of ribs fit perfect on the large BGE (18.25" cooking grate), but if you buy smaller then you have to cut all of your racks in half. The only exception that I know about is the Primo Oval JR 200 since it is oval and the long dimension is 18.5"

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I bought a small size BGE to start, knowing full well I was going to buy a bigger one later. I live by myself so it works for me and I can cook 1 chicken on it, steaks, even smoke an 8lb pork butt on it for 12 hours.

I bought the large size a year later and it's a better cooker for 5 to 6 people. I am confident enough in my cooking now to want to cook for people. Last summer I hosted a barbecue, double stacked the grates, put two 15lb briskets on and fed 30 people. I got rave reviews on the food.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
But found out they struggle when it's cool out.

I've had no problems w/ mine in the winter. The ceramic is thick enough that it retains heat well for low and slow.
Your post is the first time I've ever heard that.

I thought that was the whole point of their design? That it didn't really matter if it's 85 degrees or -10 degrees?

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks all for replying. I think I'm sold except for checking out Kamodo Joe.

I have two BGE's ~ one large and one med.
I hardly ever use the smaller one.
Heat control is much better in the bigger ones and that is a critical feature.
So buy once and cry once and get more than you think you might need.
Note: if I already didn't have the BGE's I'd do a Kamodo Joe in a heartbeat.
I got my eggs in payment for money owed but I still love it/them.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Badwing
posted Hide Post
I went with the Broil King Keg version and couldn't be happier. Even comes with a truck hitch so you can take it to tailgates.
Broil King Keg

Posts: 207 | Location: SINY | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post