SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Snow Shovel?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Snow Shovel? Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If there’s not enough to warrant breaking out the Ariens, I don’t shovel, I plow- saves your back in the best way. Best snow pusher ever.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15565 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I like the cheap $10 plastic shovels. Snow sticks to metal shovels. Plastic with the metal blade I find the blade falls off easily and then it’s basically useless. The curved handle shovels are nice but don’t seem to come with the cheap plastic blade I like.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
A "what" shovel?

Something people in your parts use to clean out their freezer. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Like most here I have gone through my share of shovels and while some were better than others it really depends on how much snow you get and how wet it is.

I was in our local ACE hardware recently and bought one of these..I will be using it this winter...

https://www.acehardware.com/de...igging-tools/7138555

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best snow shovel is about 14 years old. Wink

quote:
The very best snow shovel, hands down with no argument from anyone, is the snow shovel in the hands of a teenager getting $50 to clear my walkway and parking area.

Yes, these are the two best answers if you are older than 40. I have a great snow thrower and yet I still like having a some young kid do the steps and so forth.

Outside of that, I am also a fan of the plastic shovels with the thin metal blade.

Shoveling snow sucks.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:
quote:
Best snow shovel is about 14 years old. Wink

quote:
The very best snow shovel, hands down with no argument from anyone, is the snow shovel in the hands of a teenager getting $50 to clear my walkway and parking area.

Yes, these are the two best answers if you are older than 40.

"Older than 40?!?!" Seriously? My Lord. I'm over 68 and still clearing my own snow.

*sheesh*

The day I can no longer clear my own property of snow is the day it's time for me to move to a retirement village or old folks home in Florida or Arizona.

quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:
Shoveling snow sucks.

I'll admit that, round about March or so it starts getting old, particularly when you're faced with it while still holding down a full-time job, but it's good exercise.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I very rarely used a shovel in my 5 years in Alaska, and instead used a 2-stage snowblower. However, there were instances it wasn't worth getting out the beast but I didn't want to drive over it and turn the snow into ice that'd last until April. In those instances, I used a shovel similar to gearhounds' except in had a steel edge and a poly handle.

During my 2 years in Can-eh-duh, we experienced mild winters by Canadian standards. I never even put gasoline in my 2-stage snowblower and instead cleared the sidewalks by hand (driveway was only 2-feet long as garage was off an alley). The sidewalks were a PITA since I was on the edge of downtown and my place was only 3 doors down from the bus stop. People were walking on fresh snow 16-hours a day when it snowed so the polymer push shovel was only good for the sidewalk going to my front door. The sidewalk that all the assholes compacted needed a grain shovel like Johnny 3eagles linked and steel bladed and poly handled ice scraper similar to this:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
"Older than 40?!?!" Seriously? My Lord. I'm over 68 and still clearing my own snow.

How about being 74 before the next snow season is over? As a Catholic priest here used to say, “Be thankful for the snow. Shoveling it keeps us in shape.”
On the other hand, my driveway is so large that I have a commercial plow guy clear it. That’s the easiest way of all. I can clear it by hand, and have, but it’s a several hour job.

A couple of thoughts about the suggestions thus far based on shoveling my deck and walk.
Snow pushers rather than shovels are good if it’s not too deep to push and there’s somewhere to push it. Usually neither is the situation for me, but when it is I use the regular shovel.
I bought a grain shovel for the snow a few years ago, used it a couple of times, and it’s been hanging on the garage wall ever since. Even though I’m accustomed to shoveling snow, if it has any weight to it, the grain shovel picks up too much to heave to one side easily.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like this one for pushing and ripping up ice. Not so much for lifting since it is heavy. https://www.acehardware.com/de...-and-pushers/7200611

Posts: 17883 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For less than 6" snow fall, I prefer using a sturdy poly-pusher without the metal lip. I wish I knew the brand. Label fell of long ago.

Between 6" & 10", I like the grain type shovel. Mine is aluminum, which I do NOT like. Would get poly next time.

Over 10", then I get the two-stage snow thrower out.
I have a 2000 (28" wide?) 9hp troy-bilt. Works very well.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a handheld and a backpack leaf blower. An inch or two of snow and I use a leaf blower. The handheld does a great job on my truck as long as its fresh snow. For everything else, the Ariens or Kubota.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
So far my favorite snow shovel is the hydraulically operated one I mounted on the front of my ranger with a closed, heated cab.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
............... Snow sticks to metal shovels. .................

Something I stumbled onto years ago was to spray my shovels with Armor All, or Pam cooking oil. Snow just slides right off.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I have had several, some plastic with metal edge and some without metal edge. I've never felt like the metal edge gave me an advantage. When the plastic edges start to curl up I trim them off with a knife or hack saw. I prefer a straight handle. I had one with a curved handle but it was not as easy to control in heavy snow.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 869 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
Something I stumbled onto years ago was to spray my shovels with Armor All, or Pam cooking oil. Snow just slides right off.

I've long wondered about that. Thanks for the info!

After thinking about it for a couple days I think I'm going to buy a pair of those shovels member JasonATI pointed out. I'm thinking a 28" The Snowplow, for doing the driveway when the snow's too light for even our smaller snow thrower, and a The Snow Dominator for narrower areas, the end-of-driveway stuff with which the county snow plow regularly gifts us, and for clearing the area around the mailboxes out on the road.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

but make sure you get the one with the metal edge on the front blade
https://www.farmandfleet.com/p...mic-snow-shovel.html

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
but make sure you get the one with the metal edge on the front blade

The problem with those is scraping flat to the ground eventually wears through the rivets and the edge falls off. That's what happened to the shovel the next-door-neighbour girl borrowed.

The reviewers of the shovels I plan to get claim the plastic is so tough you can actually chip ice with them. I'll have to see if for myself to believe it, but that's what they claim.

posted Hide Post
The one that’s in some else’s hands. Big Grin

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem with those is scraping flat to the ground eventually wears through the rivets and the edge falls off. That's what happened to the shovel the next-door-neighbour girl borrowed.

My shovel is on it's sixth year , so $20 .00 every seven years is pretty ok , I guess

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
So far my favorite snow shovel is the hydraulically operated one I mounted on the front of my ranger with a closed, heated cab.

Mines not hydraulic but I wholly agree. Mine has tunes as well as heat!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8527 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post