SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Freezer temperature monitoring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freezer temperature monitoring Login/Join 
posted
We have a couple of freezers we would like to monitor remotely. The solution we’re looking for would be WiFi-app based - I think. As always, there are a lot of options some better than others.

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

Posts: 762 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
This is a project I've been working on, off and on, for quite a while. Let's see what suggestions are offered, Tn226, and perhaps team up on it.

I have some ideas, but not yet the skill.

God bless America.

Posts: 13378 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The DIY method.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/EcGQWLSwX3U

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have been doing this for about a year with a product called SensorPush.

It uses little Bluetooth sensors that are about an inch and a half square. The battery lasts for a year and is replaceable. It collects data at one minute intervals, and the sensor can also store about two weeks of data, so you don't have to worry about missing data if you aren't around. There's a pretty solid app for viewing the data. It runs in the background on your phone and pulls new data from the sensor whenever a sensor is in range of your phone.

You can use just the sensors standalone and rely on your phone, but if you prefer WiFi, SensorPush makes a WiFi gateway. It's a little box that you plug into the wall, it talks to the sensors over Bluetooth and sends the data over your WiFi and the internet.

The app also lets you set alerts for if temps go outside ranges you specify.

I've been using two WiFi gateways, one at my house and one at my mother's, and four or five of the sensors for about a year.

They aren't specific to freezer use - they cover a wide temperature range. I'm using one to monitor a malfunctioning AC thermostat right now, in addition to the freezers.

I have been very pleased with the system. It is available on Amazon. The WiFi gateway is $100 and the sensors are $50 each.

These are screenshots I took this morning of the overview page of the app and the graph of the sensor data for one sensor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maladat,

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
My company has a number of freezers, cold rooms and even one equipment room which we monitor temperature with a service using a device called a SensaPhone.

The base unit can have up to 12 sensors, and uses WiFi and the public safety cellular network bands in case of power outage.

The base unit was less than $2k

https://www.sensaphone.com/sensaphone-family

PM me if you have any questions!

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’m watching this thread with interest, my large freezer died and lost the contents. I thought there was a home security camera software that had temperature and moisture sensor capability.

Posts: 9938 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon has a dozen models, include wifi in your search

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54466 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SensorPush looks like it may be just the ticket. Thanks

The raspberry pi gizmo looks neat but way beyond me

Posts: 762 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I have been doing this for about a year with a product called SensorPush.

Do you put the sensor devices inside the freezers? Is communication affected by that at all? Or is there a thermocouple "tail" that hangs off the sensor device and runs into the freezer?

God bless America.

Posts: 13378 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
No thermocouple on a wire, everything is in the little block.

I have three sensors inside chest freezers and a WiFi gateway in my garage and they don't have any problem connecting.

I have another sensor in a third floor finished attic space. I'm not sure whether it is talking to the gateway in the garage or my phone but the data updates while I'm on the first floor, so the range is very good for a Bluetooth device. I suspect it's using a very low connection speed which helps with range.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good deal. Thank you, maladat!

God bless America.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Sure!

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I use LaCrosse mobile to monitor my dog kennel and humidor. I have not tried the sensor in my freezer but can't imagine it not working. You set the warning parameters and you get text and emails when you are outside the limits you set.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5679 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post