Find
Notify
Tools

KLR-650 Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

There is a black/gray digicam version out now that is pretty cool looking.

Hah I was looking at that one but I'm leaning towards simple black.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I sold it in the end due to the service interval. An 06, had it for 3 years. Loved the seating position - wider bars of course, but other than that it's reminiscent of my 92 Nighthawk. Heavy and tall, I got used to that. Lighter and lower, with a longer service interval, and you've got a CRF250L.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 2009 KLR 650 is my second bike after a deer took my first bike, a Suzuki SV650 (a totally different style /purpose bike) away from me after relatively few miles.

I like the simplicity of the carburetor and pretty much everything else on it. The engine is a bit down on power compared to some of the competition, but the tradeoff is a decently long maintenance interval (with the exception of ~2500 mile oil changes).

Do not buy this if you're expecting to unleash much hooligan upon the world, it doesn't have much hooligan in it. Don't buy it if you're expecting to keep up with dirt bikes or lighter or more powerful dual sport machines.

If you want something that is reasonably decent both on and off road, however, this may be the bike for you. IMO, it doesn't excel in either environment, but it's a good compromise.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:

Do not buy this if you're expecting to unleash much hooligan upon the world, it doesn't have much hooligan in it. Don't buy it if you're expecting to keep up with dirt bikes or lighter or more powerful dual sport machines.

If you want something that is reasonably decent both on and off road, however, this may be the bike for you. IMO, it doesn't excel in either environment, but it's a good compromise.

Yup that's about what I'm expecting!

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I like mine and it is my first bike. I'm also 5'10 with stock seat height, no lowering links and I can flat-foot it (barely).

It doesn't do anything well...but you can cruise for hours at 75, then hit a single track trail at the end.

Is that a flak jacket with molle webbing as a tank bag?

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Hah nevermind - found it:

http://www.tankvest.com/

Kinda hilarious.

posted Hide Post
You can lower a bike if you want to spend the money. Having a bike that is stretching you out is a real pain in the ass on the trails.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Check out Sgt.Marty's website, retired cop who has gone up to the most northern point of the US and circled south America with one. He has a wealth of experience. http://www.sgtmarty.com/

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Went and picked it up today!

posted Hide Post
Nice! Love the black ones.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous. That's the one bike I wish I had kept.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Had to ride it home in the rain.
Helluva way to christen it... >.<

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! You've got a versatile, fun, motorcycle to enjoy.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7094 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post