New
Find
Notify
Tools

KLR-650 Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
I think I'm gonna get one.
I like the idea of a road ready bike that I can take into the dirt if I so desire.

Anyone else have one? Thoughts?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Always liked them but too short to ride them. Can't even one foot them properly.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
Always liked them but too short to ride them. Can't even one foot them properly.

Yeah I went and looked at one today and was surprised on how tall it was.
I'm 5'10" and it was on the upper limits of what I think is manageable.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A crash on a KLR650 shaved a few months off my life a few years ago.
Its a great bike. Very reliable. But heavy for a dirt bike.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They're needlessly tall. I rode a KLR250 a couple of times. I didn't much like kickstarting it from the pegs while it was on the stand and since it was carburated, it took more kicking than I liked. This was probably 10 years ago, though, so maybe they have changed something.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
creslin, is this a first bike? Will it be for commuting or fun and what kinds of roads will you be riding on? Use our knowledge here Razz

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I am not into bikes, but the KLR-650 is about the only one I like due to its looks, record, and for all the travelers using them for trips.

It is a tall bike, I am also 5'10" and stretches me to just sit on it, just as creslin stated. You don't see many at dealerships.

I see a lot of them passing through a major highway near me.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've not owned one, but I want one. Being 6'5", the height is a good thing for me.

Posts: 8539 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned one of the first models back in the late 80's. I loved that bike. It does have some downsides. The stock sadle will make your butt numb after about 2 hours if you don't replace it with a good aftermarket model. On the early models, it topped out at about 90mph but would pick up a nasty front end vibration due to the front "dirt bike" fender flexing. They may have resolved this by now and truthfully, it really isn't the kind of bike that you want to ride at 90 mph. The big single 650cc piston can only be counterbalanced to a point and there will always be a little vibration throuh the handlebars, get jel padded riding gloves. The watercooled single cyclinder could get hot if you sat in traffic too long, though mine never overheated. It was electric start, but (for that year's model) you could also add on a kickstarter if you wanted it for emergency reasons.

I'm 6'1" with a 36" inseam and the bike fit me like a glove. The balance point of the bike with me on it and a full tank of gas was about perfect. It could wheelie off the line with just a little goosing of the throttle.

I road mine on Florida roads and it probably saved me from injury once when I had to avoid a car making a sudden stop by driving onto the soft (sand) shoulder. When I hit the sand, I actually gave it gas, threw a nice rooster tail of sand and powered through the emergency. A street bike would have just plowed in and probably flipped.

I'd get one now, but I don't know if I have the reflexes for it anymore and the streets of St. Louis aren't really enduro territory.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
A crash on a KLR650 shaved a few months off my life a few years ago.
Its a great bike. Very reliable. But heavy for a dirt bike.

30 years ago I had a KX 250 and my moto was if you're not bleeding...

Now I hurt when I get out of bed every morning!
Young and dumb.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1125 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
There was one or two years that were prone to ring issues and oil consumption. 2008 was the year with the piston ring issue IIRC. Overall they seem to be great bikes except for that issue. Someone at my gym rides a highly modified KLR650 and LOVES it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
This would be my 3rd bike.
My first was a buell blast - rode that thing from orlando, fl to akron ohio and back.. twice.

After that hellish trip I decided I needed something larger and got a Harley Sportster 883.

I rode that one exclusively (no car) for about 4-5 years.
Finally traded it in and bought a jeep a little over a year ago - but now I have the itch again...

Uses would be mostly commuting to/from work (3 miles away).
But maybe Id do a little off roading just for grins...

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The KLR is a great bike but I'd look at KTM and make sure they don't fit your needs better before trading any money.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The KLR650 would not be classified as a hard core dirt bike, it is just too heavy. For trail or adventure riding it is perfect, just don't expect to be doing whoop-dee-doos with it. Getting 50mpg's and having a 6gal tank can get you pretty far from civilization if you are inclined to seek solitude.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Pretty nice package if a little crude mechanically. They are pretty tall and top heavy but nicely set up from the factory with large tank, rear rack, and decent (not great) stock seat.

You might also look at a Suzuki DR650. Made in Japan with better build quality, no oil consumption issue, a proper gear driven counterbalancer, lower seat height plus a factory option to lower it even further, and noticibly lighter.
3.5 gallon tank is ok unless you're riding a lot in the west. But no rear rack standard. Seat is worse than KLR and would need replaced. (See Seat Concepts). Also need mirror extenders.

Both are good bikes, I've owned two of each and personally prefer the DR650 with the mods mentioned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ridewv,

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
The KLR is the Jeep CJ of the motorcycle world. Can do a lot of things passably, has huge aftermarket support, and mechanically simple enough to get parts fabbed by some dude in a yurt in Nepal.

Okay, that last bit may be an exaggeration. Big Grin

I loved mine. Only thing bad about it was it vibrated like an out-of-balance clothes washer stuck on the spin cycle at highway speeds. 60 and below it was fine and got great mileage to boot.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like mine and it is my first bike. I'm also 5'10 with stock seat height, no lowering links and I can flat-foot it (barely).

It doesn't do anything well...but you can cruise for hours at 75, then hit a single track trail at the end.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2005 (i think) for about 4 years!
Loved it!
Perfect for dirt roads and wide open spaces, like Utah, Idaho. Maybe a little to heavy for very narrow twisty forest TRAILS, but great for anything that can be called a jeep trail, etc.

Sold it only because I started bicycling a lot again and rarely used it,
I still think about buying another.

At only 5'8" I used the 1" lowering links, lowered the forks in the fork tree buy 1" and had the foam of the seat shaved down by a local upholstery guy by about another 1. Ride perfectly fine that way.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Great looking bike Strambo. Is that color stock or did you do it?

An XR650L would also be a great bike. I say go for it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Great looking bike Strambo. Is that color stock or did you do it?

An XR650L would also be a great bike. I say go for it.

Spray paint! At some point it may peel enough that I'll start over and see if I can get it to stick better.

There is a black/gray digicam version out now that is pretty cool looking.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post