SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    C5 Z06 Increase 0-60 by Half Second?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C5 Z06 Increase 0-60 by Half Second? Login/Join 
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted
I have a stock (no mods) 2004 Z06 that I would like to increase the 0-60 time by a half second from 4.1 to 3.6. Assuming driver competence, what mods can achieve that goal? I don't mean speculative (like, "I think in general it might be cool" to add air intake, cam, headers, tune, etc), and I don't mean 1/4 mile time (just specifically 0-60). If you have acheived this, how did you do it, what specific mods? Thanks, I appreciate you.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most surefire way is traction. Lower rear end gears, better tires (drag radials, if not slicks), rear suspension work, then HP. Programming the computer should get you more HP. I drove a 2007 Z06 for a day with 2,000 miles back then, it's big issue was traction. 1st gear nearly useless, but even at 90 mph in 4th gear when you got to about 6,000 rpms it would just break the tires loose.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Definitely long tube headers, tires and short throw shifter. I had LG Pro long tubes on my C5 Z06, the factory exhaust manifolds are heavy and restrictive. Stock shifter is way too long. You will gain nearly nothing by an exhaust swap. The stock ti exhaust is very light and flows well.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t you mean decrease. Wink

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
A while back I had an 02 Z06. The car ran well, but the addition of a cam/headers/tune really woke it up. It made 440rwhp and would break the tires loose from a 55-60 mph roll with ease if you wanted to.

If I still had that car today I would have the above with the addition of a FAST intake, heads, better clutch, and some stickier rear tires. The factory clutch was just on the edge of handling the amount of power I was putting through it. Once it got hot, the pedal got mushy.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheapest easiest way.... dry shot of nitrous.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Oh man that all sounds like fun.

I have no idea personally but I will watch this thread because I think owning a Z06 would be a hoot.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
The car already has lots of power. Adding more isn’t a bad thing, but what everyone here says, and from what I know from driving a few Corvettes, is you need traction.

Getting that power from the engine directly to the pavement as efficiently as possible.

I think Jimmy is correct. Tires, suspension. If the traction improves, lower gears will get your 0-60 times down, if the power can be put to the pavement.

I had a 2009 WRX that was very well built and heavily modified. That car would kill just about anything 0-60, not just because it had nearly 400 HP at the wheels, but because it so efficiently put that power directly to the pavement. It didn’t want to spin, it would just go.

Traction is where it is at my friend.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go to the corvetteforum with this question. I think you will find a lot more specific advice there. Your request is a pretty significant performance increase from an already quick time. If you are really in a hurry you might consider purchase of a 2021. The engine move solved a lot of traction problems of the rear wheels.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Don’t you mean decrease. Wink

Ha! Well, yes!. Thank you all, I will look into the traction issue.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Asking this question is like asking, "what can I do to make my AR-15 shoot more accurately?

Barrel, two-stage trigger, better sight(s), better fitting stock - you all of those can but what all of those are not mentioning; they do not make you a better shooter.

So sure, if you want to shave 0.5 seconds off the car's ability, that is one thing. But, if you want to shave a half second off of your time, you need to shoot launch a lot more. Get your times down to your best first while searching how to make the car faster. Wink

On, and wider tires deflated a bit along with better intake and exhaust might help too. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Manual transmission or automatic?

I asked a friend who has a very fast later ZO6, here's his reply:

"Here are a couple fairly inexpensive and easy bolt on’s. Stick or auto.
- Performance Cold air intake.
-Larger performance Throttlebody.
These two items will not need the car retuned on a Dyno. This should get you about 10 RWHP &
10 ft-lb’s of torque.
Here are a couple more items that could get expensive.
-High-performance performance intake manifold.
-high-performance tuned headers.
-Dyno tune
Those 3 items could get you over 20 RWHP
& 20 ft-lbs torque.
Not to forget traction is a big issue on any C6 because of the car being so light weight.
Drag radials will run around $350 each and I would highly recommend Mickey Thompson’s that’s what I’m running."

Posts: 7454 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I come from C5Z06 405hp, 2xC6 436hp and a C7Z06 650hp Corvette and now a ZL1 650hp Camaro. Horsepower costs money. The C5 2004 Z06 did not come with an automatic transmission.

Weight reduction of the car, better launch technique, any combination of the above suggestions would improve horsepower and possibly performance. If you can't apply the power increases to the pavement, it doesn't matter.

A supercharger would add weight, but definitely increase horsepower. How much are you willing to spend?

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Horsepower costs money.

How much are you willing to spend?

I think the old quote was "Speed costs money, boy. How fast do you want to go?"

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plenty of technical "go faster" info/advice on the C5 Z06 can be had at corvetteforum.com.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
lowering your 0-60 by that much is going to require more power and drag radials. I've owned two C5 Z06s and two C6zs. You'll need traction !!

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2763 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
The LS sloppy stage 2 camshaft, Elgin E-1840-P Camshaft, pac 1218 valve springs, tune by someone that knows what they are doing, Drag radials, better clutch, will do that and more.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The cost effective and quick answer was noted earlier in the thread. Throw a 100hp shot of nitrous at it. You obviously will get less than 100hp out of it, but it's quick, sure fire, and fairly economical. The only question....will the tires and rear suspension handle it when the power comes on? Won't know until you try.

All the recommendations for engine mods are expensive and time consuming.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
The cost effective and quick answer was noted earlier in the thread. Throw a 100hp shot of nitrous at it. You obviously will get less than 100hp out of it, but it's quick, sure fire, and fairly economical. The only question....will the tires and rear suspension handle it when the power comes on? Won't know until you try.

All the recommendations for engine mods are expensive and time consuming.

The 100hp shot of Nitrous will just make it blaze the tires even more and not make it go any faster 0-60. If 0-60 is your goal, traction is your main focus..... You need it to hook dead then focus on more HP.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trade it for a Tesla Model S with the highest capacity power system they offer. Sub 3 seconds is doable.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post