SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New luggage advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New luggage advice Login/Join 
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Travel Pro for the win! I've had and broken more carry on bags than i can count. I bought the travel pro spinner because it's the brand most flight staff use so I figured it could take a beating and was made well. I have to say I've been very impressed with mine. The wheels track straight and roll smooth, the zippers are metal and high quality, the size is perfect and I never get hassled about carrying on. I highly recommend it over Delsey, Tumi, Samsonite, etc...

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:I bought the travel pro spinner because it's the brand most flight staff use

Having dated a number of flight attendants, due to their comparatively low salaries to pilots, they're buying what fits into their budget and is in compliance with their uniform requirements. While many pilots will opt for Luggage Works/Purdy, their weight size requirements also aren't as stringent as those of us in the back of the bus. The flight attendants I've known (Delta, Virgin & Jet Blue) do most of their shopping on Amazon and eBags, TravelPro is a large brand that's fairly price sensitive and mark-downs are common, rarely do you ever see the higher priced brands like Tumi or, B+R on air crew.

Interesting story, when Virgin America was getting going, they outfitted their aircrew with luggage. I was apart of Timbuk2, the messenger bag company bidding for that contract. Virgin eventually selected Burton Roll Eyes a brand more known for their snowboards and clothing, not luggage. The crew hated the bags, eventually most of the rollers/totes broke within 2-years.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I almost got my knees taken out by a run-away spinner in Denver. Terminal ramp heading down to gates and this lady stops near the top to adjust her shoe - and her luggage is off to the races. Luckily it made a lot of noise so I was able to step out of the way and watch and smash into a credit card kiosk. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I almost got my knees taken out by a run-away spinner in Denver. Terminal ramp heading down to gates and this lady stops near the top to adjust her shoe - and her luggage is off to the races. Luckily it made a lot of noise so I was able to step out of the way and watch and smash into a credit card kiosk. Big Grin

Yeah, spinners and inclines are not a good mix.

Personally, I prefer luggage that stays put if I take my hand off it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I've owned a few Tumi pieces and a Samsonite that saw many flights over the pacific and back. The samsonite had the shit beat out of it with almost all of the zipper pulls broken off. With that said, it never arrived on the conveyor belt with my unmentionables on display, but that could be more of a packing habit problem than a suit case problem. My Tumi pieces have been great but I did break the handle on one of them. I prefer the spinner wheels for boarding the plane because you can roll through the aisle sideways.

I'm not sure I'd buy another bag that was not a spinner wheel but I DO think i'd look at Travelpro as I'm not sure Tumi is really worth the upcharge.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a Travel Pro with wheels in the carry on size at Tuesday Morning for $69.99. The label states a 10 year warranty, and a few miles from my home is an authorized warranty repair center for several brands. If my luggage fails I can take it over to him, or for the low price I paid I can just toss it in the trash.

I do have a 9 year old Delsey wheeled carry on that is still in great shape.

I don't fly a lot, probably 4 to 6 times a year, and usually to Whackyland. I just can't justify, in my lifestyle situation, spending lots and lots more $$$ for super high end luggage. Obviously those of you who do such need and must have super sturdy luggage.

I'm flying to Whackyland soon, it'll be a quick turn around, won't be there long, maybe I can tweak a few snowflakes heads and watch them run off to their safe space and color! Whee!

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post