SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Social media sucks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Social media sucks Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I’ve slowly noticed many of my favorite pages and personalities are getting erased.

My favorite street artist, Sabo, an ultraconservative gurilla artist had his Facebook page deleted over a mild sign telling Zuckerberg to go romance himself. Then the delightful and always entertaining Info Wars and Alex got the axe.

Most recently it’s been the libertarians getting deleted. My absolute favorite meme page was deleted yesterday over a months old anti Hillary post. I love how Facebook and liberals bitch about election meddling then delete a ton of political pages weeks before an election.

Social media sucks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, people will recognize that this is in fact happening, and move to other places that aren't under liberal thought police control.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
This Forum continues to be MY social media.

SigForum rocks. I agree it is terrible to lose entertaining pages and sites from but I am hoping these sites, commentators, and entertainers will find their homes on EVEN BETTER newer, social media platforms.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The communists are pushing really hard.

There are other options, Gab and FreeZoxee are among them.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Hopefully, people will recognize that this is in fact happening, ...

People have been noticing it for months.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
...and move to other places that aren't under liberal thought police control.

Other than individually-run sites like Sigforum: There aren't any. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are it. They're all run by Silicon Valley types, and Silicon Valley, hell, the entire tech industry, is largely left-biased. You're lucky if you run across libertarians or classical liberals. Conservatives are like finding a unicorn.

And sites like Sigforum couldn't handle the load even if people suddenly decided to switch venues. Consider: Sigforum has 85,000 accounts. Facebook has 1.5 billion. Twitter: 400 million. The big guys run massive server farms and have staffing to match.

So-called "conservatives" aren't helping themselves. Leftists celebrated the banning of Alex Jones (InfoWars). Conservatives were all "Well, he was nuts and an embarrassment, anyway. We're better-off without him." The only people complaining about it were libertarians and classical liberals. The result was predictable: They're slowly lowering the bar on just how non-leftist one has to be to qualify for the digital guillotine.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I'm weird, but to me, anyone with conservative leanings using Facebook is puzzling.

It is painfully obvious the political proclivities of Zuckerberg and the whole employee force. Remember the whole company meltdown when they discovered one of their executives supported Brett Kavanaugh during the hearings? Yes, they routinely ban libertarian/conservative stuff. Zuckerberg early on called his customers "dumb fucks" for trusting him with their personal info. Yet I hear "but...but..it's the only way I can keep in touch with family and friends!"

My method of keeping in touch is to use a telephone. Email is my common way of writing a letter, also, to the chagrin of young folks, actually letters and postcards. For instant casual greetings, text messaging directly with words and photos is almost a daily ritual.

It can be done nicely without social media. No unfriending, meltdowns, no drama. And no patronizing Fuckerberg and his ilk.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Never used it, never will. I have zero interest in providing those pieces of shit with even one more number stat by joining. Quite simply, I don’t belong there, so why would I go?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15574 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Social media is a large part of why Trump won. These leftists must hate that their platforms helped propel DJT to the presidency. I know it has to eat at them and it is a large reason why they are now even silencing libertarians who were never going to vote Dem anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I'm weird, but to me, anyone with conservative leanings using Facebook is puzzling.

That may be because the narrative you're getting is "social media is nothing but commies."

I preserve my Facebook account for nothing but keeping in contact with close friends and family scattered all over the globe. Very, very few political/social posts show up in my newsfeed, and I post very, very few.

Twitter, though, is a whole 'nother thing for me: Security news and politics. And Emergency Kittens Smile. Here's the thing, though: Of the <looks...> 106 people/orgs I'm following, the politics of the vast majority are either nominally conservative, libertarian or classical liberal. And those groups are doing a bang up job of holding their own against the leftists and the dominant media, trust me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
In all of the commercials that I'm forced to watch with every Youtube video I have yet to see a single conservative political add. It is all liberal and all nasty

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Facebook for me is family stuff, on the news feed I look to see whats there, and interesting enough since I'm on several conservative pages the majority of political ads have been from progressive and liberal pacs for of course liberal candidates.

So either

a) facebooks ad targeting system is messed up
b) facebock is pushing liberal ads over R
c) little column a, little column b

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Social media sucks
Why yes, yes it does.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't this be in the whats your deal section.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

That may be because the narrative you're getting is "social media is nothing but commies."

Because Facebook is run exclusively by a bunch of Silicon Valley/Bay Area commies is not just a "narrative", but 100% fact.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't tweet or use Instagram, but I do have a FB account. Some of my distant relatives wanted me to have a presence there, so I do. It is used only to keep up with happenings in my distant family and friends, and not a lot even for that.

I depend on e-mail contact for almost all my verbal interactions, other than the 2 major gun fora that I frequent (SF and Assaultweb). The fora constitute my "social media" and I've done FTF with several members of each.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Never used it, never will. I have zero interest in providing those pieces of shit with even one more number stat by joining. Quite simply, I don’t belong there, so why would I go?

BINGO. My mantra as well. Never have and never will use any of these leftist pieces of shit. None have ever held the slightest attraction for me, which admittedly may be connected with my advanced age among other things. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Why aren't there "social media" that are run by conservative billionaires? Or, at least "fair-and-balanced" ones. Confused

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because Facebook is run exclusively by a bunch of Silicon Valley/Bay Area commies is not just a "narrative", but 100% fact.

Even Zuckerberg has acknowledged that 'groupthink' is a problem at Facebook. He seems to fear the radical leftists that dominate his own company. They isolate and and drive out any thought that doesn't tow the line. It's a lot like in academia.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
(For general education: it's "toe the line", not "tow the line".)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is painfully obvious the political proclivities of Zuckerberg and the whole employee force. Remember the whole company meltdown when they discovered one of their executives supported Brett Kavanaugh during the hearings? Yes, they routinely ban libertarian/conservative stuff. Zuckerberg early on called his customers "dumb fucks" for trusting him with their personal info. Yet I hear "but...but..it's the only way I can keep in touch with family and friends!"

My method of keeping in touch is to use a telephone. Email is my common way of writing a letter, also, to the chagrin of young folks, actually letters and postcards. For instant casual greetings, text messaging directly with words and photos is almost a daily ritual.

It can be done nicely without social media. No unfriending, meltdowns, no drama. And no patronizing Fuckerberg and his ilk.

Yes, but being on media like FB at least exposes people to conservative ideas. I wouldn't abandon all social media for that reason alone.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post