SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I quit my job on Thursday
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I quit my job on Thursday Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
And it was the most liberating thing I've done in quite a while.

I left my resignation letter and badge for my immediate supervisor. He always praised me, said I did a good job and even said it in front of the union rep who was the witness. My resignation letter basically stated that my resignation is effective 18 January and that I will not deal with a hostile, disrespectful and arrogant postmaster who creates a cancerous work environment.

I just couldn't deal with it anymore. It was a toxic environment run by a dictator.

I was working for the Post Office and had been since October. Application process was mostly a lot of waiting. Online application, test, interview, driving record check, drug test and background check.

From the interview, I should've known that it wasn't going to be a pleasant place to work.

The postmaster (PM) was awful. She's someone who has had unchecked power over others for many years, likely due to her being connected to someone higher up. At the interview, there were 4 of us interviewing, she sat with all 4 of us and said, "this job has a 50% failure rate. If I hire all 4 of you, 2 of you won't make it. If you're slow on the job, we'll fire you." This is the first time meeting her. Very monotone, dull and calculated in her delivery as if she knows no matter what she says and to who, it won't come with consequences.

Wednesday was my scheduled off day, they claim we're on call and even made up a sheet of paper (not an official government document) that says we "have" to answer our phones before 9am and come in if they call. First of all, I'm not paid to be on call for you so that's not going to fly. Second, me working 6 days a week for 10 hours a day doesn't leave me much time to deal with family and school commitments, there was no balance there. With a 2 year old daughter and 2 dogs at home, my wife carried the majority of duties for months. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I had 2 days off...

What finally made me quit?

I was having some car issues, door lock wouldn't work so when I opened the door, the horn would keeping honking. Wednesday was my scheduled day off and they called at 8:45am while I was out and about at automotive locksmith places trying to get this fixed. Thursday she called me into her office and I explained to her that's what I was doing so I couldn't answer. She said, "It took you 6 hours to get back to us, that's not acceptable. We could fire you right now and the union could do nothing to help you." Around 2pm on Wednesday, the supervisor texted me and said they really needed me that day, I replied and said I'm still trying to get my car fixed. I knew both were lies because the union will protect me even though I was within the 90 working day probation period, they stuck up for another carrier who was within her 90 days. And I knew that firing me for a first time "offense" wasn't going to be easy for them.

She wouldn't hear it. She said, "I'm catching an attitude from you." Weird she would say that because she seems to say that about everyone. Is it everyone or is it her? Gee, I wonder... Then she says, "You're a military man, you should know about being thorough and following up." Sorry but if you've never served, don't tell me about what military people should or shouldn't know, you simply haven't earned the right to do that. She says to me, "I'm not getting an apology or anything, just excuses." I say, "I have answered every other time you guys have called and come in. I messed up this time, I'm not infallible. I'm sorry, it won't happen again." She glared at me (which she likes to do to intimidate people), rolled her eyes, said "wow" and stormed off.

These are examples of her "leadership":

-took 2 weeks of vacation after Thanksgiving. The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the busiest month of the year
-not allowing carriers to take vacation after New Years yet allowing 2 supervisors to take vacation which led to massive calloffs
-told everyone during a morning meeting that calling off and having a Dr. note is not an excuse to miss work
-told everyone she has moles among us who report everything said to her
-forced a new guy and new girl to resign. He resigned as did she. Neither went in with union representation. The guy rolled over and resigned, I think he was tired of the heavy work loads. The girl resigned but she managed to get in touch with the union rep immediately after. Union said to retract her resignation because she felt pressured into resigning. The girl said the PM held up the guys' resignation letter and said, "if you resign like he did instead of us firing you, there's a chance you could work for the PO again." She retracted her resignation within 24 hours and got her job back
-cuts people off in mid-sentence and says, "stop! I'm cutting you off right there!"
-told one guy if he quit that day, she was going to, "fuck your life up."

I will not work in an environment where there is paranoia bred like that trying to turn people against each other. That does not comply with the ethos of that organization, or at least what they claim their ethos is, and it does not comply with who I am as a person. I very much want enjoyable work environments as I feel they are more productive when there is no fear and paranoia. When people get along, they seem to work together better and that makes for more productivity.

I made some friends there but my heart also goes out to those who are not in the position to quit.

I've never been happier to spend time with my family after working in hell for the past few months.

The search begins again.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You only worked six days a week? Damn, you're lucky. But I feel for you. The Post Office is a pretty shitty place to work.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Fuck them.
Having had to butt heads with their bosses at the local branch several times because of their screw-ups, I can understand you. Arrogant and lazy assholes. HR had to kick their asses for them to refund my money. Mad

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Life's too short to work for assholes.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Your ex-boss sounds like a typical tenured government employee. And Democrats want to create more of them... fucking idiots.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
It’s got to be a similar situation where I live, I’ve have mail problems for the last 20 years and I stopped complaining since nothing was ever done.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Postmasters have been useless people everywhere I've lived. Sucks you had to go through that.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Edmond, hope it all works out for you. I started yesterday as a rural PTF, and it was def. a wake up call. What was advertised as a 3 day a week part time gig has suddenly become "you'll be working every day for the foreseeable future”

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
OP:
Just reading your post made me suddenly realize that my own USPO employment ended FIFTY years ago this very year. While it was a part time student schedule, I recognize some of what you report.

The post itself rather reminds of another (state agency) job I had where after several years of various incompetent management, I typed out my grievances & resignation on a lengthy roll of toilet paper. Inserted into a bosses meeting at just the right time it produced a look on the "PM" face most memorable and satisfying.

Cheers for your new career, whatever it becomes.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it, but I feel for you. I’m sure you will land in your feet and do better. I was with Social Security for 2 years. The place had the same type of misanthropic sociopath for a supervisor. Every one was in fear for their job, except for a few near-retirement ladies (old crones) who did their job, and his so he could show up a few times a week, between “meetings.” They threatened to fire me because one of the old ladies had a daughter who wanted a job. I said go ahead. Then they refused to pay unemployment. I took them to court and won my unemployment case. The union did absolutely nothing for me because the union rep in my area was tight with the managers and was looking for a transfer recommendation. I got into the teaching biz after that. The supervisor was a retired marine. I cut him no slack for that. He was abusive and lazy. Once in place, you can’t get these assholes out, even with a crowbar and a box of dynamite.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Your ex-boss sounds like a typical tenured government employee. And Democrats want to create more of them... fucking idiots.

Exactly! When I was in management in a large US computer company I ran into several of these types of ?managers" or even worse, people in our personnel department. Ended up going to 4th level management twice over silliness. Got one fired, the other was transferred. What did I get out of it? Other than personal satisfaction, I got commended for those actions. But then, I have never simply accepted stupidity, bias, or whatever form of that crap.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The postmaster (PM) was awful. She's someone who.......

That is all I need to know.

Women in the professional field I know tell me they would rather work for a man.

GF works in retail and had a female manager who changes her work schedule 2-3 time a week, to favorite her "shopping chums".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Edmond said
quote:
she says, "You're a military man, you should know about being thorough and following up."

Sorry but if you've never served, don't tell me about what military people should or shouldn't know, you simply haven't earned the right to do that.

Word! It's a desperate attempt to show they have the right stuff.
Maybe, but I don't care.

After I read your post I had not the slightest inclination to think that you should have held off. It was time to go and you did the right thing for your continued peace of mind.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
Word! It's a desperate attempt to show they have the right stuff.
Maybe, but I don't care.

After I read your post I had not the slightest inclination to think that you should have held off. It was time to go and you did the right thing for your continued peace of mind.

Good luck to you.

At the interview, she said, "Think of me as your Drill Sergeant, you take directions from me." I chalked that up to "she must be joking" but as time went on, I realized that she really was narcissistic enough to actually believe the shit that came out of her mouth.

I will never forget my Drill Sergeants, those guys are forever ingrained in my mind. Big Grin

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notarex:
Sorry to hear that Edmond, hope it all works out for you. I started yesterday as a rural PTF, and it was def. a wake up call. What was advertised as a 3 day a week part time gig has suddenly become "you'll be working every day for the foreseeable future”

There was a point where I did 4 different routes in 4 days.

I mean, I appreciate the confidence they had in me to do the routes but realistically, why would they do that to someone?

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Edmond, I never worked for the Post Office, but a friend, now retired, did. My friend is a sharp guy, hard worker, enthusiastic, just the kind of person I would think most would want as an employee. Your account is consistent with the working conditions and management he described. Apparently, your postmaster is just one in a culture that expects it's managers to rule in such a fashion......

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your next endeavor! Too bad this one didn't work for you, but it sounds like just about anything would be better.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Sorry it didn't work out Edmond. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I don't doubt anything you said. I've seen it happen.

I've had supervisors with less compassion than my Drill Instructors. But once you learn the rules of their game, they usually leave you alone.

I feel for the new hires, because they do feed them that type of crap. Work faster, not smarter.

They allowed us to start at 7am the month leading up to Christmas, because of high mail volumes. Shortly after January 1st, it went to 7:30, and now we are currently at 8am. They do this because they know there is a very small percentage, that will get ridiculous amounts of overtime, and run their routes off, and get back early. The rest of us have to pay, err well, get paid, for their endeavors. You give me an hour of OT on a route I don't know that's 20 minutes away, and I have to do it in the dark??? Then the runners complain about never getting to take their lunch break, and 2 allocated 10min breaks. GPS doesn't lie, they know exactly where we are every minute of the day.

I'm lucky, I have some decent supervisors and PM. But I've had some bad ones.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you didn't put in a two week notice, and just bailed? If so, that decision will haunt you for the rest of your life. Good luck ever trying to find another federal, or state job. They frown heavily on that.

ALWAYS give a two week notice. If they ask you not to come back, then that's on them. At least you gave a proper notice.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
start your own business dont work for someone else especially in that environment, I had a co worker who was a complete suck ass dick all the time, The boss loved him, I quit and started my own business and never looked back. to this day I still have nightmares about that job 35 years later. I wouldn't have given her a two second notice, probably would have told the bitch what I thought of her.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post