SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How old do you think the earth is?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How old do you think the earth is? Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I believe that the earth is ~4.5 billion years old. But if God had created it in 4004BC or whenever, couldn't He have also created the fossil record, etc., as if it were billions of years old? Razz

I've heard that argument before, and I would have to concede that yes, it's possible, which is why I voted "fairly certain". And this is coming from someone who has studied the fossil record. I just think it is extremely unlikely.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16349 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The earth is a little older than dirt.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
if God had created it in 4004BC or whenever,

Why do we argue about this stuff? You were in grade school about then, weren't you?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
..., humans are obviously going to destroy it with a couple hundred years of industrial revolution.

False

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Grady McMurtry makes a good case for young Earth creation.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The Earth itself is billions of years old. Human civilization - i.e., when humans began to live together in cities and developed governmental structure, agriculture and especially writing - is around 6000 years old, about the time of the ancient Egyptians and Babylonians.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
Grady McMurtry makes a good case for young Earth creation.
Quick clarification, that's Grady S. McMurtry, not Grady L. McMurtry. HUGE difference.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
latest science puts it between 4.5 and 4.7 billion

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
Why spend time arguing over the age of the earth, when we can spend that same time arguing over the merits of 9mm for use as a self defense round?

This!

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anybody explain the religious significance of the young earth theory? I'm religious and I really don't understand what difference it makes, how old the earth is, it's here for our use.

I hate to see people get hung up on meaningless points that distract them from what's really important.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can anybody explain the religious significance of the young earth theory? I'm religious and I really don't understand what difference it makes, how old the earth is, it's here for our use.

I hate to see people get hung up on meaningless points that distract them from what's really important.

Proponents of Young Earth creationism use a literal interpretation of the Bible, which indicates an earth that is only about 6,000 years old. This runs counter to astronomical science, which currently estimates a universe that is over 14 billion years old, and the earth at about 4.5 billion. It also opposes anthropological science, which says that the creation of life on this planet was driven by evolution over millions of years.

So I guess the religious significance is whether the Bible is to be interpreted on a literal basis, and if not, how much of it is literal and how much is subject to interpretation.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16349 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
~4.5 billion years, but it doesn't matter, humans are obviously going to destroy it with a couple hundred years of industrial revolution.
Stow that silly shit. Ridiculous

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
~4.5 billion years, but it doesn't matter, humans are obviously going to destroy it with a couple hundred years of industrial revolution.
Stow that silly shit. Ridiculous

Apologies, I incorrectly assumed my sarcasm would be picked up.

Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:

A very simple reason why it matters is that if you can convince people that what is told in the Book of Genesis is not true, then it becomes easier cast doubt on the rest of the Bible.

It took years for me to accept that the earth is young. Like many I bought into the idea that a day for God is no the same as a day for man, but I no longer think that way.

If you can get your hands on a copy of the documentary, Is Genesis History? I highly recommend that you watch it. They approach the case from multiple scientific disciplines.

*Edited to correct the name of the documentary

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sarcasm or no, you interjected politics into an apolitical thread.

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I love it when ppl try to figure God out to fit the human 21 century human understanding.
Imo, God has no face, clothes, time, year .... God just is.... Complete in its self, no need or desire to place my limits on it.
So the earth is as science says in our know understanding of calenders.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The warranty has expired.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Sarcasm or no, you interjected politics into an apolitical thread.

Firearms were also interjected into a non-firearm thread. I apologized, calm down.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
A very simple reason why it matters is that if you can convince people that what is told in the Book of Genesis is not true, then it becomes easier cast doubt on the rest of the Bible.

Why is doubt a bad thing? Is it not better to have doubt so one can evaluate and make a decision, rather than a dogmatic approach?

Certainly there are some things in the bible you can agree are not an actual history of events, no?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:

Why is doubt a bad thing? Is it not better to have doubt so one can evaluate and make a decision, rather than a dogmatic approach?

Certainly there are some things in the bible you can agree are not an actual history of events, no?

If you doubt that the Bible is the word of God and that some things in it are true and some things aren't, then yes, it is a bad thing. If one starts picking and choosing what they wish to believe, then what they end up doing is creating their own god instead of believing in the one and only true God. Are there going to be things you don't understand of have questions about, certainly! People should ask questions and seek understanding. God does not ask us to turn our brains off, I believe it is quite the opposite. Studying the Bible is a life long process that involves, among other things, thinking, meditation, prayer, fellowship and discussion with other Christians,faith, and a desire to seek the truth (as opposed to a desire to simply affirm your own ideas).

Obviously Jesus communicated in the form of parables so that His teachings could be understood. However, aside from that, I cannot think of anything that I do not believe to be historical fact. The people, places, and events that are in the Bible are historical. Is there something in particular you are thinking of that you doubt as being actual history?

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post