SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Raising the Dead <diving related>
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Raising the Dead <diving related> Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
The article I posted about the man who recovers bodies from lakes reminded me of this one. It's a long read, but I HIGHLY recommend.

I don't usually have the attention span to read something of this length, but I didn't skip a word.

It caused me to think of reading attempted recovery stories on Everest - and this quote has stuck with me; I think it works for both the sea and great heights....

"Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to."

Raising the Dead

Ten minutes into his dive, Dave Shaw started to look for the bottom. Utter blackness pressed in on him from all sides, and he directed his high-intensity light downward, hoping for a flash of rock or mud. Shaw, a 50-year-old Aussie, was in an alien world, more than 800 feet below the surface pool that marks the entrance to Bushman's Hole, a remote sinkhole in the Northern Cape province of South Africa and the third-deepest freshwater cave known to man

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Very good read.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Razor thin margins in extreme environments.

Good read.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Good read.
Those depths are insane. Quite the article. Nothing I could or would ever do.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Good read.
Those depths are insane. Quite the article. Nothing I could or would ever do.
Add to the fact that you are pretty much alone or with one other person, with no communication to those on the surface and only rudimentary contact with a buddy.

Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
I have read that before, and many years ago saw parts of the video (maybe on Faces of Death?).

It's really surprising a guy with his experience would change his equipment before a dive such as this.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Video from the helmet cam is on youtube- "Last dive of David Shaw"- with narration.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Video from the helmet cam is on youtube- "Last dive of David Shaw"- with narration.
Yeah, he seemed to turn around in time (although late), but was entangled with the body / gear. Shitty way to go, but a risk one would expect with that kind of activity.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
800+ feet is insane.

Lose line floating around as you try and complete a task can be a huge problem. Add in trying not to silt up the area when you have to remove something from the bottom is a mess waiting to happen. It's all a snowball effect that gets you. Limited vis, slit-up, line gets stuck, try to untangle/cut, more silt it's a scary place to be.

I can't even imagine the amount of gas you would have to stage for that kind of a dive. Very few people even today that can even attempt that kind of a dive.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this!! I had never heard about it, so I read it and ventured onto the videos. Extremely exciting but oh so sad.

When I finally quit diving, we were trained for mixed gas diving, but that is as far as we went.

My deepest dive was 200' in Cozumel, and I thought the decompression payment for that dive was bad. I can't imagine what they went through to accomplish such deep dives!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Thanks, great story. Sad but very interesting.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
A heck of a story. Thanks for posting.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post