SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of my mom today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of my mom today Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted
Today would have been my mother's 105th birthday. She only made it to 88, though. She was a wonderful woman, a good mother, and a very fine friend to others. I miss her.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
It sounds like her memory is quite a blessing.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
It's easy to say we all pass, but it's still hard to accept when a loved one goes.

You still have the good times memories and that's something worthwhile to hang on to.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I miss both my parents frequently. They were hard on me, but I can't say I didn't deserve it. SOmetimes, I just wish they were still around so that I could tap into their wisdom. And, they were such nice people......

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I get it. Lost mine last year in a long drawn out ending. I hope it gets better for you. That empty space...man.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel the loss of my parents more and more as I get older. So much of their lives are a mystery to me. My Fathers WWII Service. My Mother growing up during the depression. I regret not talking more with them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Don't want to derail you tread, so detail free. Haven't talked to Mom in a bit, read your thread and called her. Happy to get to talk to her, wish her life was going better, but she's still fighting.

We both had a tear in our eyes at some point. I'm lucky to have her still with me, no matter her situation or our communication has been recently.

Thank you for reminding me of how lucky I am even if things aren't perfect.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like all of you above, not a day goes by that I do not think of my Mother. She lived to 94; I was lucky to have her for so many years.

She was sharp right down to the moment she laid down to take a nap on a Sunday morning. I was fortunate to have spoken to her about so many things about her and our families past; growing up in the depression, World War II, and many other topics.

Those of you with elderly parents, talk to them, learn their history, and cherish your time with them. There will come a time when you will wish you could talk to them. I know, that is every day for me.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
My mother died young, she was only 59, I was 30. During the Christmas season, I think of her often. She lived for Christmas and always made it special.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
My Mom turned 94 on Tuesday of this week. My Dad will be 96 in January of 2020. Both in fairly good health, all things considered. When I read posts like this one, I know just how lucky I am. I'll be 71 next month and should be all grown up, but sometimes it's just good to be able to talk to your Dad.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
My Mom turned 94 on Tuesday of this week. My Dad will be 96 in January of 2020. Both in fairly good health, all things considered. When I read posts like this one, I know just how lucky I am. I'll be 71 next month and should be all grown up, but sometimes it's just good to be able to talk to your Dad.
Rod
I agree. My dad was nearly 76 when he passed, after 11 years of slow death following serious strokes. I like to remember him as he was in the 1940s and 50s.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post