SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tim Kennedy: "19 Year Olds Should Not Own AR-15s"
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tim Kennedy: "19 Year Olds Should Not Own AR-15s" Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Never heard of him.
Me, either, and I don't agree with him on this issue. I think a more rational (but unpopular with Leftists) approach would be to insist that every child receive proper training in school regarding use of and safety in handling of firearms. Such training used to be common from parents to children, but nowadays too many parents are themselves not properly trained in those issues.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Seeing the thread title, I had no idea who this guy was, thinking to myself, "just another leftist scum". Reading this thread, I realize who he was, and my opinion of him became even worse. Guys who profess to be supporters of the Second Amendment, but who spout the type of garbage like this guy does, are even more dangerous than the gun grabbing commies, imo. And I don't GAF if you served.

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
What does 'won over' mean? That the 'them' despise the NRA less? That 'their' opinion has gone from anti to neutral? Did the 'them' join the NRA? Will 10,000 AR-15s that would otherwise not be sold be bought? What is the metric?

IMO, that guy is just blowing smoke out of his ass.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
When there are very wealthy and very powerful folks out there who have dedicated their lives to removing guns from the common man, giving one inch is a chink in the armor that offers the anti-folks hope. I am disappointed with his response.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Never heard of him.
Me, either, and I don't agree with him on this issue. I think a more rational (but unpopular with Leftists) approach would be to insist that every child receive proper training in school regarding use of and safety in handling of firearms. Such training used to be common from parents to children, but nowadays too many parents are themselves not properly trained in those issues.

flashguy

They cannot and never will do that. Exposure goes directly against the ideology. It's also dangerous for them, as people who get into shooting sports rapidly become less and less antigun.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I actually received a response to my email to Kennedy; methinks he doth protest too much...

“If they are good kids I couldn’t image a better present. I at 18 wasn’t mature enough to get one. Pretty amazing that your kids are. That speaks volumes to you as a parent and to your kids. Congrats! I LOVE FN. This is one of my favorites right now. https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-15-dmr-ii/ . The FN 15 is just as good and a little cheaper.
Regarding the Lance interview:
If you take a step back for a second and think about what I’m trying to do here. I’m trying to have a conversation. A discussion with somebody that completely disagrees with everything that we fight for. In that one conversation. I Perhaps won over 10,000 new people to our side. In the process never called anyone names. Just opened a bunch of peoples eyes that we the people that love the Second Amendment can still have a rational conversation. I’ve done thousands of interviews and podcasts. All of them fighting for our gun rights. Yet here you are demonstrating why this is such a divided nation. I standby how I talked to Lance. I’m thankful that we have thousands of new people that are supporting the Second Amendment because of the conversation and disappointed in you for wasting your time attacking somebody that is on the same side instead of following my example and trying to win over others to protecting the Constitution.

STOP believing what other people write about me or looking at a single example with out considering the WHY of what I said. My position to be perfectly clear is that I support the Second Amendment. I’ve sworn to protect the Constitution to fight for it against foreign and domestic enemies. I’m a gun owner. I’m a businessman that teaches people how to shoot and how to use weapons to protect themselves.
I believe a well regulated militia specifically refers to a law-abiding citizen and that citizens should have the means of overthrowing a corrupt government if necessary. I am pro- Second Amendment in every single imaginable way. I have fought for it in more ways than anyone I know. I have the courage to have a conversation with anyone, especially those that disagree with me and not attack them.
If we can’t discuss ideas, particularly ones that challenge our beliefs, we are cowards. I welcome gun control discussion, even though I am adamantly against it, because we cannot solve the problems we do have in our society without those conversations.

I’ll be at the NRA convention next weekend supporting an organization I firmly believe in and support, and welcome discussion with any of you in attendance or even protesting it.

I believe the right to bear arms is not only a constitutional right but a natural right, and that a well-regulated militia is an individual law abiding American, standing ready to protect Home and property, and in the worst case, against a tyrannical government.

Thank you.

Tim Kennedy

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15551 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
^^^the same canned response he gave to David W, as seen on Page 2, with an added note of congratulations.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

“If they are good kids I couldn’t image a better present. I at 18 wasn’t mature enough to get one. Pretty amazing that your kids are.

For me this says volume about Tim Kennedy. It is very liberal to project your failings on others. Wolf in sheep's clothing. The man is not only not doing pro-gun folks any favors, it would seem he is actually the opposition whether he realizes it or not.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see how he squares his comments that 18 year olds should not be allowed to own ARs with his profession of unwavering support for the 2A. Engaging in a dialogue about gun control is fine, but walking back rights does not look like supporting it to me.

Posts: 2476 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Where does he stand on 18 year-olds being allowed to vote?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can there be some "nuance" on this issue ?

Generally speaking, I seem to be pretty ultra-conservative on the 2nd Amend.

But society also has to make a choice about when young people are officially considered "adults".
I think it would be a lot simpler if it was all 21, and that includes firearm purchase, ownership, alcohol, and VOTING.
A special privilege for active military on all those seems reasonable.

"Minors" could still shoot and use guns, but under adult supervision.

By having a discrepancy in age on the various issues gives the Left the pretext to have the lowest of all ages be the voting age.

I should probably add that I was shooting .30 cal rifles at about 8 or 9, and owned my own semi-auto 22 at about 12 and used to go rabbit hunting, unsupervised, on the deserts of Idaho. So it certainly seems safe and reasonable for a lot of young people. But it is a different culture today. I wouldn't be upset in the trade-offs if they made everything a uniform 21 years old. I certainly don't support restricting everything EXCEPT voting to 21!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
With respect to the age thing, this is all hinging around the age of the Florida Shooter. It is, of course, another way the left can restrict the Second Amendment. The real question that needs to be asked is, whether it was his age that was a factor in him doing what he did, or "something else". The answer is obviously "something else". The reason was he was an angry emotionally disturbed person who had the emotional maturity of a 13 year old.

If we are going to regulate guns based on something, then let's, at least, regulate them based on the factors that contributed to the crime, and that might actually prevent the next occurrence. Let's not punish all the other under 21 year olds who are, or will be responsible safe gun owners.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Who is Tim Kennedy and why should I care in the least about what he thinks, and why is there no link to a news article in the first post of this thread?

Link should appear in that post by the end of today or I am locking this useless thread.

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Who is Tim Kennedy and why should I care in the least about what he thinks, and why is there no link to a news article in the first post of this thread?

Link should appear in that post by the end of today or I am locking this useless thread.

Sorry, I'm not very proficient at that sort of thing, but shall give it a try.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Every news item must be accompanied by a link.

And again, who cares what some random person thinks? Why should we care?

Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Every news item must be accompanied by a link.

And again, who cares what some random person thinks? Why should we care?

Not everyone will. I just find it interesting that a self proclaimed defender of our way of life would remove rights from others that he himself enjoyed.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Tim has apparently never figured out that compromising with people whose goal is the complete confiscation of all privately held weapons is a terrible idea.

That's exactly what I took away from his interview and his reply to me.

At least you received what appears to be an original response (unless he simply cut and pasted for you too). I got your response with a short blurb at the beginning.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15551 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Come on man, Tim Kennedy may be a lot of things, but a “pussy”? No.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Kennedy_(fighter)

I doubt there are many here who would say that to his face. I disagree with him on his AR15 opinion, but he is a genuine badass.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, he's some fighter. What do the other seven billion people in the world think?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
He's also a former Green Beret that has served this country in combat. He gets my respect for that, even if I disagree with him.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post