SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My son's addiction
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son's addiction Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
damn...this hits home....i’m in the beginning stages of dealing with this with my daughter...she’s 17 and addicted heroin and our family is reeling! I’m pretty much lost right now and looking for answers...I’m getting the feeling there just aren’t any. Frown

That and she IS a minor. Send her to an out of state rehab ASAP before she turns 18
You have an opportunity. She’s young and hopefully not too deep yet. Get her well away (physically and emotionally) from the people she is hanging with. Like 4 states worth. Then you might have a chance.
My best to you. I’m sure there are others here that have better advice, but pulling an addict completely out of the circle they are in, and offering new healthier choices may work.

My Step daughter was addicted at 16. Wife was an enabler for a while. Daughter would be gone for days, then show up unannounced. It just kills you. What saved us is Al-anon. Gave us the strength to toss the daughter out of the house when she was 25, no more support other than moral and listening. Proud of my wife when she got the strength. Two years later the daughter hit her bottom but was able to clean up and get a decent job and move on.

She is doing well now.
There is hope. YOU need to be strong. Go to Al-anon.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Just my experience, I *never* felt any kind of high on Oxy, just relief of about 60% of pain. Again, I think it affects everyone differently to a degree.

quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I'm sorry to hear that hopefully it will all work out in a positive way in the near future.

I do have a question on the addiction part of this, when I broke my ankle and had surgery I was prescribed the same drugs but never felt any kind of high or nice feeling it was just having the pain go away and that was all. I only used them for maybe a 2 weeks and quit because the severe pain went away.

my question is do they make you feel high or intoxicated like drunk ? just wondering sorry if this is the wrong place and time to ask.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 2007, Purdue Pharma settled the criminal charges by paying a $634 million fine.6 The executives who perpetrated the crimes were not sentenced to serve any jail time and the company was allowed to continue selling different versions of oxycodone-containing drugs.14,15

Mad Mad

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
There's plenty of information out there about the Sackler family and how all this came to be and the culture they created. It's a damn shame the whole lot of it.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I have been getting addiction advice from this family friend for years. She carries an SP2022 W.German triple serial, so she's GTG. Many here know of her son JJ Reeves on TGB.

Connie.

The organization she founded, Pathways for Change, rehabilitates criminals and has a very good recidivism rate. But first, their drug addiction must be broken. They have success with this, but their failures haunt her. She lost one to OD just the other day: He had been clean for over a year, well on his way back to society. Connie speaks frankly, and was going to evaluate my son this spring and make recommendations. This is on hold now, as the judge will be making the "recommendations."

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent for your Son AND your family. So sad, I hear more and more of this every day..... Frown

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
...... Two years later the daughter hit her bottom but was able to clean up and get a decent job and move on.

She is doing well now.

That's awesome, and rare, congratulations on getting your daughter back.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
My youngest son (38 YO) is an opioid addict. This was a smart, personable, handsome man until drugs brought him down: He graduated from the University of Florida, has an MBA, a CPA (no small feat in Florida.) He was injured surfing years ago and had oxycontin prescribed for oral surgery. The addiction started to show the next year when he was sitting for his CPA exam series. He was eventually fired from his accounting position and several subsequent jobs. He has weaned off Suboxone several times and relapsed in 6 months. He had a car wreck the other day and was arrested for DUI and heroin possession.

The next steps are lawyers, court, jail, rehab. He has no money (of course.) It tears me up that he has failed so miserably.

Although he has crashed this may be true turning point in his life. It will be totally up to him though. He really has to want to change and that has to be the most difficult step of all. Prayers for the family and your son.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
This is a tough one, and there's no "one size fits all" answer. Lots of people have posted good advice so far, along with others whose experiences are heart-wrenching. Good luck.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry. My best to you and him.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry to hear your situation, I'm sending prayers for you, your son and your family

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
...... Two years later the daughter hit her bottom but was able to clean up and get a decent job and move on.

She is doing well now.

That's awesome, and rare, congratulations on getting your daughter back.

Yeah, we know. Could have gone either way. Thanks -

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine going through this with one of my kids. Don't lose hope! I'm praying for a good outcome.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So very sorry for what You and the family are going through

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Link to the 60 MINUTES broadcast...Ex-DEA agent: Opioid crisis fueled by drug industry and Congress

Whistleblower Joe Rannazzisi says drug distributors pumped opioids into U.S. communities -- knowing that people were dying -- and says industry lobbyists and Congress derailed the DEA's efforts to stop it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/e...dustry-and-congress/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have my prayers. I hope the best for your family.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who responded here and privately or just thought "Here, by the grace of God, go I." Your expressions of sympathy are appreciated. I will get through it; not so sure about my adult son or his mother.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
My best wishes to you and your family.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear about your son and about everyone in this thread that has family members struggling with this. You’re in my thoughts.

OP, you may be right to be in favor of jail. Hopefully that can get your son started on kicking his addiction. Tough situation.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post