SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My son's addiction
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son's addiction Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have no advice or anything helpful to add. Just wanted you to know he will be in my prayers. This is a hard thing to break, if he succeeds, he'll fix all the other things he's broken eventually.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These stories are heart wrenching. Prayers to everyone and their loved ones.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
My heart goes out to you, and anyone who has struggled with this addiction.

I have family with a similar problem (fentanyl, alcohol, oxy) and the toll it’s taken has been almost too much to bear.
As a poster mentioned, get in touch with a support group if you can. I tried to attend, but could not connect with the group, however support groups helped my mother and sister tremendously. I myself have real anger issues resulting from decades long bullshit being fed to me by someone who was once as you described your son: a vibrant, intelligent, beautiful person. Now I just see and hear the drugs talking to me. It’s horrifying. And I’ve encountered several acquaintances that have displayed similar characteristics: “if only a doctor would listen to them and understand their pain, their need for medication”. It’s amazing and frightening how similar the stories and the presentation is.
This is your son. I watched my parents deal with their firstborn and the lying, subterfuge, the utter, blatant, uncaring attitude towards the gifts that child was given: their life, their health, their opportunities, and oh, so much money to try and save them from themselves.

Turn every stone to try and save him, but try and hold your heart in check, knowing you can only do so much. Lose the addictive wife. Only those of us who have truly seen this in the face of someone we love knows how terrifying it can be. If you can keep him out of jail, I hate to say it, but it might be best to try and do so. The only thing my family member learned from the rehab centers, etc were new methods to obscure the addiction and score drugs (from the other addicts)..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear that.

All I can say is: don't enable. If he does something great - tell him. If he does something stupid - tell him.

But make sure he knows you love him (but won't be taken advantage of)

I have an adult child who does things I am not fond of sometimes. It happens but they are grown.

Everything I have ever read says there is nothing you can do to save them if they don't want to save themselves.

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Catalina
posted Hide Post
Simply awful. I'll keep you my prayers.

quote:
He was injured surfing years ago and had oxycontin prescribed for oral surgery

The medical profession shares much of the blame for the opioid crisis.

Posts: 246 | Location: O-H ! ___________ I-O ! | Registered: February 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Add my prayers as well.

There is NOTHING YOU can do. Seriously. NOTHING.

An addict has to hit bottom. Some never do, and the bottom hits them.

You should find a support group like Al-Anon FOR YOURSELF.

God bless you.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear this. My son has been an addict for 5 years now. Has seen the pearly gates at least 5 times. They just wouldn't let him in. Narcan saved him. Big hurdle is finding good support group after rehab, like a church group. We are still looking for that. Wish I had a good referral for rehab to provide. We are trying to get him to surrender to the authorities for DUI charge if we can find him. My heart aches for you.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northeastern Pa | Registered: February 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Profoundly sad. I'm quite certain were I prescribed that stuff, I'd fall just the same.

Posts: 11380 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
You might check to see if that jurisdiction has a Drug Court, and whether your son is a candidate. It's usually for first time, non-violent, drug-related offenders.

For those who are serious about wanting help, Drug Court can allow the opportunity to access inpatient/outpatient substance abuse treatment with little to no out of pocket cost, since it sounds like he's broke.

And depending on the exact laws/policies of that area, he may also have the chance to have the charge kept off his record if he does what he's supposed to do, so it doesn't necessarily have to ruin his life/career.

And if he doesn't follow through with what he's supposed to do in Drug Court, then the tougher consequences kick in.

I agree. He'll have to get meeting attendance papers signed ...... Narcotics anonymous meetings are saving many many people.
It's not a moral problem it's a disease. It can't be explained to those that haven't experienced it.

I wish y'all well.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Had surgery twice the past year. I passed on the painkillers. They don't do me any real good. Prayers sent for your son. I sincerely hope he wakes up from the mess he is in. A lot of folks have walked away from this kind of danger. It takes a lot work and commitment....and help from family.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I'm so, so sorry for this. I'm still in the process of trying to get my family back on track from a close loved ones opiate addiction. Unfortunately, as others have said, rock bottom is the only place to start from, and only if he is ready. It's a hellish existence, I still don't know of or when we will recover. But, she is clean, and doing well, and for that I'm thankful. If you want to talk or need anything, please e mail me. I'll be praying.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
Hang in there. We went through the same with our son. Oxy then heroin. Stole from his brother, car accident, fleeing the scene, foreclosure, girlfriend left him. He finally decided to seek treatment when he hit bottom. We paid for 90 days of inpatient treatment. He continued with outpatient treatment after that. He went back to school and finished his BS. That was eight years ago. He has been doing awesome ever since. Good career, nice salary, recently engaged.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
damn...this hits home....i’m in the beginning stages of dealing with this with my daughter...she’s 17 and addicted heroin and our family is reeling! I’m pretty much lost right now and looking for answers...I’m getting the feeling there just aren’t any. Frown

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
You are not alone.
Please find an Al-Anon group local to you, for your support.
Pain is one hell of a motivator. Hopefully, your son will use the pain and anguish to make a change.
I am a credentialed Recovery Coach in the state of West Virginia, and am here to help if you or your son need it.
My email is in my profile, and it is always open to you.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Prayers up, may God Bless.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My heart goes out to you brother. I clicked the link hoping your boy had a P210 addiction. Daughter has had issues with that crap, and for whatever reason, medical people will give her oxicodone and crap like that if she just starts sniffling. The medical assholes really burn my ass about it. "Oh, you have no say in the matter - sniff, sniff" "Sniff Oh, hippa means we can't share any information about your daughter because she's not a minor, sniff sniff"

Fucking assholes.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry to hear that.
It's an absolute epidemic, and many people started out well to do and from good homes, with good jobs, and good futures, got prescribed after an injury and then they go down the road of hell.

I'm a Probation Officer. I see people get better, turn themselves around, go back down the path and it goes to hell again. The biggest heart breaking calls are from parents begging me to help their kids.

I hope that he gets through this.
Somebody recommended this book on a similar thread before;
https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Jo...-ebook/dp/B00L323PME

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I have some suggestions for you if that is not too bold.

Feel free to email me.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's funny you should post this now. I have been using opiate pain meds for several years (fibromyalgia), and am addicted. My current goal is to ween off the meds, and use regular physical workouts to manage the pain (from the natural release of endorphins).

I know I can do it, as I've kicked off the meds twice already, both times cold turkey. Yes, it was sheer hell that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. The trouble is after kicking it off, you normally have to go right back on because the pain is still there.

I'm using a more gradual approach this time, weening off slowly. I think I can do it without support meds like Suboxone. I'm already down to less than 6 doses a day, down from a dizzying 14, after only a month.

So far, so good.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16344 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post