SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opinion on Sophos vs McAfee Anti-Virus Protection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on Sophos vs McAfee Anti-Virus Protection Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I currently have McAfee for virus protection on home computers and get it free for having AT&T home internet. I am not sure if I get it free for just that or because I also have DirecTv and AT&T for cell service, but either way I get it for free.

My agency is now offering all employees Sophos anti-virus for free on up to 10 devices for as long as you are employed by the agency. I know nothing of Sophos other than it is what is on agency issued computers.

I have no problems with McAfee, but I am curious if the two are equal or if one is better than the other. I appreciate any input from anyone who knows more about this stuff than me.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Windows 10 has a built in anti-virus. I wouldn't worry about running anything else. They are just going to bog down your machine.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I do have Windows 10.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Windows 10 has a built in anti-virus. I wouldn't worry about running anything else. They are just going to bog down your machine.

Yep. And I, personally, stay as far away from McAffee as I can.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

^^^^ this.

Windows Defender, is provided for free in the Win10 OS.

Defender doesn’t package up data on everything you do to, and selling that to third-party companies.

Access Defender, two ways:
-use the Start or Windows button, type in Windows Defender.

- using the Windows Security link, and check the other options for Account, firewall, app and browser. You want to see green check marks. Smile

And install Malwarebytes.
When the 14 day trial ends, set a reminder to manually update and run the program at least once a week, or when you suspect something is awry.

Now run a backup.
- Use Start or the Windows button and type in Backup.

And then, make sure you have the Win10 security updates

Run another backup.

I have been in IT security, then Cloud and now Cyber. I teach this stuff.

Do not run a third party anti virus application, with Defender running at the same time.
If you have a 3rd party AV app, then shutdown the Defender services.
Else a race condition initiates on the system, increasing memory and disk resources.

Others will have their recommendations too.

Email me if you need assistance.
--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Sophos seems quite good. I have it on MACs.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Mcafee is literally a virus.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used Sophos while in IT at another employer. It was installed on several thousand computers.

It is a resource hog.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the input.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have had nothing but bad experiences with Norton or McAfee.

Would never knowingly allow any of their stuff on my computers.

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had problems with McAfee though I do not exactly think it is the best thing out there. I learned the hard way not to allow ANYTHING by Norton on a machine.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
We had this computer built a few months ago and the guy put the newest version of McAfee on it and we aren't having any problems, in fact, it has caught quite a few sites that loaded malware and blocked that Norton would allow.

I don't know how much of a difference the paid version is over the free one, but it's working fine with Windows 10 Pro.

Sophos is really good, but like others have said, it will bog down your computer.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post