SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Military folks---your take on the current Syria situation?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military folks---your take on the current Syria situation? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
China is a multi faceted threat.

totally agree with this

the most complicated issue on the table

deserves its own thread for sure

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sig209:
lastly - the troops we have there are PROFESSIONALs. we aren't talking about 19 year old draftees there who only joined for the college fund. strategic-level operators doing what they trained years to do - basically - no place they'd rather be plying their chosen profession.

thank you for your service. but it's what you signed up for. we are talking about strategic impact of presidential decisions not the personal ramifications at the soldier level. since the start of the GWOT the optempo for SOF has always been crazy high. that likely will not change anytime soon. everyone who undergoes the training knows that 110% going in. in the end - it's a volunteer job.

----------------------------------------

Excuse me, but I fucking hate that term “it’s what you signed up for”. Bullshit. Nobody signs up to walk around Afghanistan and get blown up by IEDs while serving no strategic mission, or even having a tactical purpose. Trying to civilize goat humpers and serve political aspects that have no link to a military mission is not A thing. Having a Navy Captain fighter pilot run a prison camp because “it’s an O-6 billet, and you are available” is not “what he signed up for”

I signed up to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. I understand chain of command, and military follows civilian authority. But what is the specific mission of garrisoning troops as targets?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Sorry for the lingo; yes, I was relaying the opinion that we should get the fuck out of there yesterday.

They have been fighting for hundreds of years. I really don't think we have to be in the middle of it - same with Afghanistan and Iraq - team up with the government, leave fliers all over the country saying "We will FUCK YOU UP AGAIN if you support terrorism that makes its way to America" and do drive by bombings whenever we deem it necessary.

But endless bullshit wars where we spend countless lives and money? Fuck that.

This...we have no real allies in this AO....Israel is close depending on their needs (just like any other country)

The SF guys are mad because they formed relationships with the kurds....they did the same in Vietnam. Nothing wrong with that but strategic decisions cannot be based on friendships.

This area will always be at war...at least until there comes one leader strong enough to keep them all scared.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Retired military here. I wish I could figure out what our “vital interests” are in that cesspool known as the MidEast.

OK, yeah, I get the oil thing, but guess what, we are producing more oil thru cracking and other means than we need and that’s what we are exporting it. OK, yeah the Euros need foreign oil for their economies, but they’ve screwed themselves about this, what between the Russian oil deals and importing all those “refugees” that are nothing more than a Third World Army in mufti.

As Kurt Schliter has said, “But mostly you see it when the President avoids new wars no matter how hard the smart set demands he create his own quagmire. Iran has been ham-handedly trying to provoke a fight by poking our allies. Trump won’t bite. He sees the trap. And in Syria, he is keeping his promise to leave. There’s always a good reason for going into these conflicts (ISIS is bad), and there’s always a good reason to stay (Many Kurds are fine people). But there are better reasons to pack up and leave. The phase “endless war” used to be irritating, except then it became clear that’s exactly what many foreign policy “experts” are advocating. If your exit criteria for closing out some overseas adventure is “We can leave when things are stable” in a place that hasn’t been stable in 5000 years, you are advocating for “endless war.”

“Getting out of wars requires getting out of wars. And sometimes, it’s going to be ugly. But unless you can explain to the family of a dead soldier why it’s worth it to stay, it’s not worth it to stay. The American people, at least those who aren’t in DC or the media, understand that every problem around the world is not our problem. If you’re one of those Citizens of the World, then feel free to enlist in the Army of the World. Just count us out of your bloody altruism.”

https://townhall.com/columnist...erica-first-n2554625

If you or any one else think that what took us 3000 years to develop through the Greeks, Romans, Dark & Middle Ages, Renaissance & Enlightment, not to mention the last 250 years of History, can be handed off to a bunch of Third Worlders after only 25 years, then you are sadly mistaken.

John Quincy Adams said it best, “Whenever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will be America’s heart, her benedictions and her prayers. But she does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the wellwisher to freedom and independence for all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own. She well knows that by once enlisting other banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself beyond the power of extridition, in all wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy and ambition which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom….She might become the dictress of the world but would no longer be ruler of her own spirit….Americans should not go abroad to slay dragons they do not understand in the name of spreading democracy.”

“America First”. Yeah, I know, that was the tag line from the 1930s that the Wilsonian interventionists like to drag out to discredit because it led to the 1940s; but it is still valid today. It is way beyond time to GET THE FUCK OUT of that hellhole.

And NATO is an “defensive alliance”; once a NATO member goes on the offense and starts a war, they are on their own. No more “blank check” alliances; that’s how World War 1 (Great War) started in 1914.

Well stated

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an non-military person I enjoyed and appreciated the comments here from our serving members!

One other comment I saw elsewhere seemed to also make sense to me: We allied with Josef Stalin and the Soviet Union to defeat the Nazi's in WWII but that doesn't mean we need to send troops to guard their border with China!

Still it's a tricky situation but it seems to me that Trump using economic pressure might end up being far more effective against Turkey who's trying to act like Mr Tough guy than a couple thousand US troops might me against a large Nato army spoiling for a fight..........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
and the talk of 'sucking up our resources'... with a GDP of $19+ TRILLION - what percentage of that is being consumed by involvement in Northern Iraq?

I couldn't find the numbers broken down that way so I don't know.
What I am referring to is not just the dollars themselves but the manpower and the country's will to participate in hostilities wherever they may be. We are reaching or past that by most measurements.
There are plenty of other places they may be used for a better result.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Saigon, April 29, 1975 is one of the saddest days of my life. We abandoned allies and left things unfinished. With that said, I offer the following.

Turkey is a member of NATO and historically a key ally to the US. They have been our ally since the end of WWII and fought beside American troops in Korea and as part of the coalition in Desert Storm. The country is one of the most strategically important pieces of real estate on the planet because it is a bridge for trade and military operations that connects three continents. Turks are ferocious warriors, which is understandable since throughout history numerous foreign powers have coveted their territory. Politically, culturally, socially, ethnically they are pulled in multiple directions due to their geography as a crossroad to the world, and they try to remain neutral when they can. Things between the US and Turkey were strained when the Obama Administration refused to sell the Patriot Missile system to Turkey and they turned to Russian made missiles to meet their defense needs and our relations have been sliding downhill since a failed coup attempt several years ago. Most recently the US cancelled the sale of the F35 fighter to Turkey. Turkey's government has traditionally been secular but Erdogan is Muslim. The tribalist conflict with the Kurds has been going on for decades and Erdogan believes he is acting in Turkey's best interests by securing the northern territory. We may disagree with their methods, and with the fact that they crossed the border at all. But the reality is, those few US troops in Syria, and the Kurdish fighters, were not going to stop a Turkish assault. Had Turkey killed multiple US troops in the attack, we would now be at war with Turkey, a conflict you don't even want to think about. We are damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Perhaps it is time for the tribes to resolve their differences and leave the US military out of it.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigs are
my Panacea...
Picture of billpocz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

....I don’t care for endless wars with murky objectives.....

This is the whole case!

I live in small town, rural KY and my young neighbor was fatally shot in the chest in Afganistan. In my mind, his death did not change the situation there one bit.

I would bet that not one single Congress person (who again is responsible for a war declaration), could concisely name our objectives in the Middle East.

It ALWAYS will be a catbox!

--- Sig 365, 365XL, 245, P6

Posts: 2001 | Location: Rural Northeastern KY | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've read every post in this thread and it just doesn't answer the question, did Trump make the right decision in pulling our troops out of Syria?
There obviously are arguments supporting either side to the question and they have been intelligently addressed here. That said, I put myself in Trumps shoes. He got all of the arguments from both sides I'm sure and it's landed in his lap. I personally think it took more guts to pull out than to stay and escalate. He now has to reign in Erdogan through sanctions to placate our allies and stop a potential purge of the Kurds. The only way we would go back would be if NATO or the UN got involved and that isn't going to happen. One thing can be said for sure and that is our president is fulfilling his campaign pledges one at a time. When was that ever done before? Certainly not in my lifetime. That is the biggest reason he will win in 2020.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I've read every post in this thread and it just doesn't answer the question, did Trump make the right decision in pulling our troops out of Syria?
There obviously are arguments supporting either side to the question and they have been intelligently addressed here. That said, I put myself in Trumps shoes. He got all of the arguments from both sides I'm sure and it's landed in his lap. I personally think it took more guts to pull out than to stay and escalate. He now has to reign in Erdogan through sanctions to placate our allies and stop a potential purge of the Kurds. The only way we would go back would be if NATO or the UN got involved and that isn't going to happen. One thing can be said for sure and that is our president is fulfilling his campaign pledges one at a time. When was that ever done before? Certainly not in my lifetime. That is the biggest reason he will win in 2020.

Jim

You hit the point exactly. No matter who was in the White House, they are damned if you do, damned if you don't. Trump would be criticized no matter what decision he made. Withdrawl is in the best interests of the U.S., but not for the Kurds. So he pulled up his big boy pants and made a decision in the best interests of the U.S., knowing up front that somebody is going to be unhappy.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
the difference I see is that Trump pulled the military, and immediately followed up with a sanction threat sufficient to get Turkey's attention.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
the difference I see is that Trump pulled the military, and immediately followed up with a sanction threat sufficient to get Turkey's attention.

Regardless of what non-military types believe, nobody signs up for a lifetime of deployments fighting wars - especially when we aren't a 'Nation At War', we are a Nation Choosing to fight Wars.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
. As of today the military is staying on a Trump reversal.MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not know how true this is, but I thought it would be good to share, just to hear from the other side. You may need a FB account to view it. Sorry. God Bless !!! Smile

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=902334486817113

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
. As of today the military is staying on a Trump reversal.MG
Source?

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim

I believe my answer was "yes."

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do we even shoot at the Turks? Most of their equipment are Western made so wouldn't IFF systems get in the way?

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I have learned far more from this thread than I ever could learn from reading the MSM. SF is a fantastic resource. Thank you to all of the veterans who posted.

Respect to you all.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
How do we even shoot at the Turks? Most of their equipment are Western made so wouldn't IFF systems get in the way?

IFF can be reprogrammed.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
Ready, Aim, FIRE is how.

Just because someone is an ally and they have US made equipment doesn't mean we can't target it, nor does it mean they got the 'premier' stuff, even if on paper it's a M1 Tank, or F16, or what have you. FMS (Foreign Military Sales) stuff is dumbed down in various degrees, depending on the specific customer.