SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycle rider beheaded after riding into wire stretched across the road...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle rider beheaded after riding into wire stretched across the road... Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
That is just AWFUL!!! Eek It just goes to show, as others have mentioned, you never know when it's your time.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Lord,

How awful.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of a freak motorcycle fatality in this area about a year or two ago.

A turkey buzzard was eating road kill near the highway. A guy on a motorcycle came around the bend and spooked the large bird. During its slow lumbering takeoff, it crashed right into him, causing him to lose control and hit a tree.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's awful!

A couple years ago I told a 911 dispatcher that my vehicle was sideways 'blocking' the road due to a downed over head power line (house drop). I come up on it and grazed it with the roof of the car. She was ok with me leaving and would send an officer, but it would be awhile. I told her I would be waiting for the officer to show up. No way, was I leaving.

He thanked me for staying there and making sure something bad didn't happen.

I would have had it no other way. Wink

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
One day - when I was much younger & NOTHING could kill me - I was riding around the back yard on a small motorcycle when a "guy wire" attached to a TV antenna pole caught me across the chest & took me clean off the seat of that motorcycle..... But I can't help but wonder: Will any charges be brought against anyone in the original post?

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crazy...

My aunt and uncle were avid motorcyclists when I was younger. I worked for her at a restaurant she owned.
They were riding along the Columbia River Gorge one weekend and a rock fell off the cliff next to I84 and struck her in the chest and killed her.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Feel sorry for that man.
If you notice pictures of WWII Jeeps, many have a piece of steel bar welded to their front bumper. German troops used to string wire across the roads just to get at guys driving in Jeeps.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
You'd be amazed at what appears in front of motorcyclists and tries to kill us.

For me it was a 1978 Mercury Marquis.

Suddenly there. Wham!

Faster than that even.

That is the truth. I keep my head on a constant swivel and it has saved my ass more than once.

A lot of people think I'm nuts for riding around the Northern Virginia/D.C. area but sometimes I feel safer on the bike. I ride very conservatively but it stops, accelerates, and maneuvers quickly so I can get away from the many bad drivers around here. Still, I know the odds are stacked against me if anything does happen.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was riding my 10 speed (that should date me) at night. I was cutting through the local church parking lot and caught a line right across my cheek. It seems they had had an activity that day and had placed a line across the parking lot and forgot to take it down. I saw it at the last minute and ducked and twisted my head. The cut was significant enought that it screwed up Scout camp that year.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:
quote:

Suddenly there. Wham!

Faster than that even.

That is the truth. I keep my head on a constant swivel and it has saved my ass more than once.

A lot of people think I'm nuts for riding around the Northern Virginia/D.C. area but sometimes I feel safer on the bike. I ride very conservatively but it stops, accelerates, and maneuvers quickly so I can get away from the many bad drivers around here. Still, I know the odds are stacked against me if anything does happen.

In my case it was second lane Outer Loop at Telegraph Rd. at 8pm on a Friday night.

Poof!

Car. No lights, no flares.

Impact.

Every time I write about it, I get the willies. 30 years later.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This will be a little long so apologies...
One of the best motorcycle rides in the Yoop is H58 from Munising to Grand Marais. A couple of years ago the Feds rebuilt the road and its now a great ride. But... dark, no guardrails and no cell service. I went up to GM in the daylight and farted around in town until about midnight. I ride it pretty quick when its light but way more conservatively at night. I was scooting along about 60 MPH when I noticed a brown object a little bigger than a football sitting on the white fog line. It looked like a piece of wood. As I closed the distance, the object rotated its top portion and revealed itself to be a Great Horned Owl. Big bird.
Thought process:
Cool! An Owl.
Shit! A Goddamn big Owl!
As I was thinking, Woodsy Owl began a takeoff run. But, instead of crossing the road, thus avoiding me, Woodsy turned right and was struggling for altitude, dead square in my lane.
Options:
Try to steer around Woodsy. (Seemed risky).
Slam on the brakes. (going too fast).
Take the ditch and trees.( lose bike / life).
Balls it out.(When in doubt, charge)!
I opted to balls it out. My last full view of Woodsy was his ass about a foot in front of my handlebars. I laid down on the bike and then felt an impact on my helmet. When I sat back up, I looked in the mirrors to see if Woodsy had survived but it was too dark to see. When I got to Munising I stopped at the gas station. My helmet has an Owl mark on it!
Given his size and my speed, an impact with Woodsy (and the resulting crash) could have easily killed us both.
Motorcycling in the Yoop is adventure!
Apologies again for length and possibly re-posting this saga.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16069 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hit a Great Horned Owl at night doing 55 on a Yamaha Venture. It came out of nowhere and glanced off the windshield. I remember ducking and did not have time to brake.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I attribute my longevity (so far) to staying off of motorcycles and out of helicopters .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:
quote:

Suddenly there. Wham!

Faster than that even.

In my case it was second lane Outer Loop at Telegraph Rd. at 8pm on a Friday night.

Poof!

Car. No lights, no flares.

Impact.

Every time I write about it, I get the willies. 30 years later.

I think I know just where you mean.
There is a crazy number of people here that drive with no lights and they don't turn them on if you flash or honk at them.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Back in about 1986 a guy I worked with, who I knew pretty good, was riding his Gold Wing right a dark. He did not see a farmer who pulled out in front of him on his tractor, pulling a farm wagon.
My friend drove up under the back of the wagon and the bed decapitated him.

Have almost the same story. Rural NW TN, younger guy on a Honda CX500 Turbo, one of the original Turbo-charged bikes. He spun his wrist down and took off like a rocket, but failed to see the farm equipment that was just over the next small hill. They said he died instantly. Rumor was decapitation. I didn't know him but he was a popular guy evidently.

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
This will be a little long so apologies...
One of the best motorcycle rides in the Yoop is H58 from Munising to Grand Marais. A couple of years ago the Feds rebuilt the road and its now a great ride. But... dark, no guardrails and no cell service. I went up to GM in the daylight and farted around in town until about midnight. I ride it pretty quick when its light but way more conservatively at night. I was scooting along about 60 MPH when I noticed a brown object a little bigger than a football sitting on the white fog line. It looked like a piece of wood. As I closed the distance, the object rotated its top portion and revealed itself to be a Great Horned Owl. Big bird.
Thought process:
Cool! An Owl.
Shit! A Goddamn big Owl!
As I was thinking, Woodsy Owl began a takeoff run. But, instead of crossing the road, thus avoiding me, Woodsy turned right and was struggling for altitude, dead square in my lane.
Options:
Try to steer around Woodsy. (Seemed risky).
Slam on the brakes. (going too fast).
Take the ditch and trees.( lose bike / life).
Balls it out.(When in doubt, charge)!
I opted to balls it out. My last full view of Woodsy was his ass about a foot in front of my handlebars. I laid down on the bike and then felt an impact on my helmet. When I sat back up, I looked in the mirrors to see if Woodsy had survived but it was too dark to see. When I got to Munising I stopped at the gas station. My helmet has an Owl mark on it!
Given his size and my speed, an impact with Woodsy (and the resulting crash) could have easily killed us both.
Motorcycling in the Yoop is adventure!
Apologies again for length and possibly re-posting this saga.

Not at all! I enjoyed the read. Sympathies to the late owl.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
.... but was he wearing a helmet ??
Cuz he'd have been GTG if he had ... right?!?

Too soon ?!?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I had a chicken that either fled off an overpass (predator?) or got tossed (drunk teenager/redneck?) and came down on the interstate dead square in front of my wheel at 70 plus mph one night. Did you know chickens can explode?
Wife met me at the garage door upon rolling in 30 minutes later. I'm told I looked horrible with feathers and chicken guts all over me and the bike.
Point of all this is stuff's going to happen at anytime anywhere. Best you can do is be alert and practice defensive riding, 'cause we're all going to die sooner or later. If we co-operate a bit I'm sure God is ok with later.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
.... but was he wearing a helmet ??
Cuz he'd have been GTG if he had ... right?!?

Too soon ?!?

Loud pipes would have saved him.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post