SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    There are good people in the world...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There are good people in the world... Login/Join 
posted
My son went on a date, and like a dummy brought 160 dollars in cash with him. How do we know this, well, we had a random guy show up on our doorstep returning his wallet with everything intact. He found the wallet in a photobooth at the mall which is about 15 miles away from where we live. It was pretty much a ring and leave, no pause waiting for some type of reward at all. My daughter answered so she just took it, but if I were there my son would be out at least 20 dollars to this gentleman. There are good people in this world...

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes there are, hope he learned a lesson.

While at boot camp at Ft. Lewis, every time someone left their wallet lying around, someone else grabbed it. They would keep it for a couple days to try to teach a lesson.

It did not work for me. I went on pass and left mine on the counter of a mom and pop store up the mountain. When I went back to get it at the sheriffs dept. My monthly pay was all gone.

The sheriff told me the grocer turned it in. I told the sheriff, he stole the money in it.

I went back to the store(hitch hiking) and grabbed the grocer by the collar and was gonna bust him for my money or at least a part of it back, when the sheriff showed up. The bastard sheriff would not even give me a ride part of the way back, but he threatened me.
Oh, well, lesson learned.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
The sheriff told me the grocer turned it in. I told the sheriff, he stole the money in it.

I am curious how you knew the grocer stole the money. What if someone else found the wallet, took the money, and left the wallet for the grocer to find?

As for the good people, several years ago a woman somehow lost a bank bag here with some $6000 in it. It was turned into the Sheriff's Office with all the money a couple of hours later.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hambony:
My son went on a date, and like a dummy brought 160 dollars in cash with him. How do we know this, well, we had a random guy show up on our doorstep returning his wallet with everything intact. He found the wallet in a photobooth at the mall which is about 15 miles away from where we live. It was pretty much a ring and leave, no pause waiting for some type of reward at all. My daughter answered so she just took it, but if I were there my son would be out at least 20 dollars to this gentleman. There are good people in this world...

I would hope that things like this happen more than is reported. Sadly the negative is always reported. Your son has good karma. Good for your son and the Good Samaritan.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob at the Beach,

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have lost my wallet twice in my life and both times it was put returned to my house with no one sticking around to even get a thank you.

Nothing missing either time.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes- Just not as many as before.

In 2012 I found a wallet with $1050 while scuba diving.

I dried everything out and mailed it to the owner- He was from Florida.

A full 90% of the people I told flat out told me I was stupid and they would of kept the money. I was shocked so may would keep the money But more shocked they would just say so.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I've returned over a half dozen wallets.

One I recall had a few hundred dollars in it.

All were returned in the condition I found them for one reason; I am not a thief.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31429 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Twice, I have found a wallet on the ground at a strip mall near my house. Once in front of the Aldi grocery store, and once in front of the Office Depot that is next to the Aldi.

In both cases, I did a little internet homework, found the owner, and returned it.

Funny thing though, in both cases, on initial contact it was clear that the owner of the wallet thought that I was trying to perpetrate a scam.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found 3-4 wallets over the years and returned them all. Some people said thanks. Others, not so much.

I had my wallet fall out of a pair of shorts about 15 years ago and had no idea where I'd lost it. The landscapers that cut the grass for a good friend found it in his back yard and left it for him to return to me.

It had no money in it when I lost it, but I was glad to have it returned just the same.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
The wife used to keep a $1,000 in an envelope tucked behind the drawer in her nightstand in case of an emergency. Naturally, she forgot about it.

A couple of years later, my company was moving us across country. One one of the movers found the envelope on the floor when he moved the nightstand and brought it to my wife. At the end of the day I left those guys a case of beer on ice and a hefty tip.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have found several wallets in my lifetime. I returned all of them w/o asking for a reward. It’s what I would want for someone to do to me if I misplaced mine.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

I am curious how you knew the grocer stole the money. What if someone else found the wallet, took the money, and left the wallet for the grocer to find?

As for the good people, several years ago a woman somehow lost a bank bag here with some $6000 in it. It was turned into the Sheriff's Office with all the money a couple of hours later.

My mother once left her purse on top of their car and drove off. Way up Route 12 near the Idaho-Montana border. Never thought about it until some time later, still in the car.

They went back, did a thorough search. Found nothing.

Few days later, back at home, a small package came in the mail. It was her purse, money intact less a couple of bucks to pay for the shipping. She had more than $2000 bucks in it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I have lost my wallet twice in my life and both times it was put returned to my house with no one sticking around to even get a thank you.

Nothing missing either time.

Some years ago my wife left her purse sitting on a chair at a McDs. Didn't realize it until we were home, about 60 miles later.

She called them, they had the purse. We drove back to pick it up, of course.

Everything was still inside, including her alien registration ID, driver's license, check book, etc. Someone had found it and given it to the manager.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My wife forgot her purse in a shopping cart. It was during a time we were both stressed by life’s pressures. She got a call from a guy, she went to his house but was stopped on her way by the police because she was speeding. The cop let her go because she was broken down crying and had no license. She got her purse back with everything. The man refused a reward.

I found a wallet on the floor when I was a new employee. It had a significant amount of cash and credit cards. I hunted the man down and gave it back to him. Two years later, I read about him in the newspapers as a healthcare executive who killed his wife.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I found a USB at the airport once. It had every pw for every account the guy had on it. Found a ppt presentation with contact info on it and called the number...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
ReyH, I found that story about the wallet as funny for some reason. Although a terrible story.

Hope he was convicted and stuck in prison. Literally stuck!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found a couple of cellphones in WM parking lots. Phones were unlocked, so I was able to track down the owners. I refused any reward.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I went back to the store(hitch hiking) and grabbed the grocer by the collar and was gonna bust him for my money or at least a part of it back, when the sheriff showed up. The bastard sheriff would not even give me a ride part of the way back, but he threatened me.
Oh, well, lesson learned.

You're probably lucky the "bastard sheriff" didn't arrest you. What proof was there that the grocer took your money? What are the odds somebody else found it and took it? Do you really think the guy would take your money and then turn in the wallet?

I guess you learned a lesson about your wallet.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post