SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun store recommendations in Maine?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun store recommendations in Maine? Login/Join 
posted
Mrs. Tejas and I will be driving from Boston to Kennebunkport which we will use as a base to roam around. Any good gun stores we should visit?

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Kittery Trading Post right over the border from NH is huge. Maybe not the best prices, but a decent place to kill some time.

Also, if you want to detour to Freeport, the LL Bean main store is also worth checking out, although less so for guns than just general outdoorsy stuff.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Kittery sometimes has a good deal on a used gun. Never visited the store but I've bought a couple of Ruger single actions fairly right online.

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stop at the Sig Academy & Pro Shop on the way up - it's only 10 minutes off 95.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just moved out of Maine after living there for 3 years and I will second the Kittery trading post. They have a huge selection and fair prices on their used guns if you catch them at the right time. If not the prices are pretty high. I have picked up a few pistols from them.

I would also recommend hitting up the Sig pro shop in NH. You will take 95 up to Maine and the pro shop is only 15 minutes off of 95 on highway 101.

Lastly I would check out 'LL bean in Freeport. It will be about 40 minutes north of Kennebunkport. They do not sell hand guns but their used long guns are quite nice.

Outside of those places I did all of my shopping online. The gun shops are far and few in between, I would go to Maine for the seafood not the guns haha.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Another vote for KTP. When I used to drive home that was always the place for me to stop and stretch my legs and enjoy the racks of guns. I've bought quite a few there also, and done some trades. Their cash price on a trade wasn't too good but I was always treated well if I was trading towards another gun.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Kittery Trading Post.
You may want to overnight in Oqunquit; a beautiful place by the sea, in the Abenaki Indian language.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Kittery's prices are often a bit high for a reason- they'll dicker some. I got a NIB LPA rear sight for an N-frame SW for $18 plus tax... and my uncle has bought several guns from them for less than their tagged prices. They also have an office just down the road in NH that they'll do some sales at as NH has no sales tax (at least they did a few years back).

They still take furs in trade too Big Grin

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife bought a Ruger MII for me there years back. She got a very fair price, and really very good advice, and that was worth lots. She wasn't sure what to buy, and she was guided to the right gun for sure.

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like KTP better than cabelas and LLBean.

Another bonus is if you are interested in a firearm, they will hold it for you till you are ready to leave town.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
on the 95 corridor go to SIG in NH as was suggested (slight detour up 101), then KTP in Kittery, and if you don't mind a short run up the turnpike Cabela's. A bit longer run will get you to Howell's (grey exit) or Wyndham Weaponry both of which have indoor ranges.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
Another vote for KTP. I was passing through on vacation and picked up some used, difficult to find mags. The place is definitely worth a visit.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas, I will check them out.

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
They also have an office just down the road in NH that they'll do some sales at as NH has no sales tax (at least they did a few years back).

Only if you are a NH resident.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
They also have an office just down the road in NH that they'll do some sales at as NH has no sales tax (at least they did a few years back).

Only if you are a NH resident.

While NOT charging sales tax is an added benefit, the 'Maine' purpose of that location (pun intended Wink ) is to be able to transfer handguns to NH customers/residents.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8879 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Do not go into Kittery's if you expect to visit other parts of Maine!

I just read through their complete list of used guns, what a wish list!

Some noteables for Sig forum folks

Sig 2340 357 Sig
Sig Trailside 22 lr
Beretta Centurion 40SW

Enjoy your visit.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
KTP prices are on the high side but the selection of used guns is huge. Take along a copy of your FFL's paperwork just in case. SIG Pro Shop is also worth a visit and police/military get a nice discount.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
The main advantage of KTP, Bean's and Cabela's over a regular gunshop is that Senora Tejas will have plenty to keep her occupied so you can spend as much time as you want in the firearms department. Wink

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post