SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bead Blasting Services: Cost?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bead Blasting Services: Cost? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I'm going to call around come Monday, but, in the meantime: I'm wondering if anybody here has any idea of how much bead blasting services typically run?

I'm thinking of trying my hand at restoring some old, mostly Stanley Bailey, hand planes. I've looked into the process of Japanning and it appears to be pretty straight-forward.

But first the rust and the existing Japanning have to be removed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
https://www.amazon.com/Sandbla...ativeASIN=B01M0CRUUM

Buy baking soda, do it yourself

Hmmm...

How do you contain the media? Just put the item to be blasted into a big cardboard box or something?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is what i did. I actually used the harbor freight system.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Only problem is I doubt my venerable old Sears Craftsman 8 ga. little air compressor will supply the requisite volume at the requisite air pressure. I have been drooling over an Ingersoll Rand Garage Mate air compressor for some time, but I can just see the eye-roll from my wife when I tell her I want to buy Yet Another Tool for Yet Another Hobby. Then again: My birthday's coming up, so...?

Hmmm...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Only problem is I doubt my venerable old Sears Craftsman 8 ga. little air compressor will supply the requisite volume at the requisite air pressure. I have been drooling over an Ingersoll Rand Garage Mate air compressor for some time, but I can just see the eye-roll from my wife when I tell her I want to buy Yet Another Tool for Yet Another Hobby. Then again: My birthday's coming up, so...?

Hmmm...

I hear ya, This is what I used. Yeah, there was a lot of starts and stop. It got it done though.

California air tools (super quiet) It is quiet enough i get to keep it in the house full time.

https://www.amazon.com/Califor...2Ctools%2C233&sr=1-4

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Rated at 5.30 CFM @ 90 PSI. The IR Garage Mate is rated at 5.2 CFM at 90 PSI.

The CAT is about $150 cheaper. And a lot smaller. Made in Mexico and the US, rather than Taiwan. Hmmm...

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I blast all the time using a 30 year old Craftsman 2 gallon pancake compressor.
It DOES take more time and I frequently have to wait for it to catch up.
Since I only blast small items to Cerakote mostly it is adequate.
I would say that instead of bead blasting if using an underpowered compressor you might consider a more aggressive blasting material.
Otherwise it will take you a long time.
My compressor won't cut it for heavy duty blasting, I was going to Cerakote some headers for my truck that were Stainless Steel - it was to much and while I might eventually get it done it would take far too much time.
I have used glass beads on golf clubs so using it to clean tools might be OK.
FWIW, blasting is quite satisfying when you see the results but that may not satisfy the wife for a new compressor.
YMMV

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just as a reference we engage a bead-blasting service at about $1.50 per part.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I blast all the time using a 30 year old Craftsman 2 gallon pancake compressor.

*nod* Good info. My current compressor can do 3 SCFM at 90 PSI and has an 8 ga. tank. I'm thinking first get the blaster and try it on that compressor. Then upgrade the compressor if I find I like the process.

Thanks for this and the other info.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
FWIW, blasting is quite satisfying when you see the results but that may not satisfy the wife for a new compressor.
YMMV

Yes, I expect I will like the results from blasting. As for the new compressor: She knows the day is coming, as I've been talking about it for several years. Thing is: That old Sears Craftsman just keeps on plugging along and I can't justify replacing something unless there's a good reason for it. I'm getting close, though Smile

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Just as a reference we engage a bead-blasting service at about $1.50 per part.

Then it probably won't be prohibitively expensive. Thanks for the info.

Since I can't do any Japanning until the temperatures warm up, anyway, I'm going to slow my roll on this whole thing. For now I'll just get the one hand plane working well and revisit making it look good in a few months. That is: Unless something else shiny has distracted me in the meantime

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If you're doing minor tasks, touching up a bead blasted finish for example, that little gun will work. You can even make one for about $10-15 bucks.

But if you're doing real blasting, you need a big damn compressor with high CFMs. Years ago I got a wild hair and bought a blasting cabinet and media without any looking into it. I needed a new compressor away. But when I learned that what I really needed cost more than twice what I was going to spend (and take up a lot more space), the cabinet went back. Frown

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, cas. That's why I'm thinking I'll pay somebody to have my first blasting done and see how I like Japanning. If I find I like the process and results, then invest in a minimal blasting tool and make do with the compressor I have. If I like how that goes, or can see I would with More Power, then invest in a bigger compressor.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
https://www.amazon.com/Sandbla...ativeASIN=B01M0CRUUM

Buy baking soda, do it yourself

Hmmm...

How do you contain the media? Just put the item to be blasted into a big cardboard box or something?

Harbor Freight has the same thing for $20 .

Yes, you do need to plan for catching the material.
You can buy a blast cabinet.
I got this one from Northern Tool ~ even though it was a little pricey it was lightweight and sturdy for my use.

However, you can catch in a large plastic tub or even a cardboard box.
Just make sure your face and eyes are protected from the blow back but not really a big deal..

I use mostly Aluminum Oxide ~ it is a bit more aggressive but it cuts faster and if use a fine grit and hold it back further it can give good cleaning results.
Glass beads are much slower and much less aggressive in the finish, if you don't want any etching then use beads.
Never tried Soda.

If you want to test the waters just get a tub, some blasting material and the cheap Harbor Freight too an try it.
It is how I got started.

YMMV

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Noted. Thanks, smschulz!

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
use a mask. not a fabric mask with a rubber band, but a good sealing rubber face mask with a hepa filter rated at 97.5 particulates or better. For media don't use any silica based product, silicosis can kill you. I don't blast, but my gunsmith who does, told me this much. Oh, and shave your beard first. The beard hurts the seal. Don't worry it will grow back, but you lungs won't.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
use a mask. not a fabric mask with a rubber band, but a good sealing rubber face mask with a hepa filter rated at 97.5 particulates or better.

I have a good mask.

quote:
For media don't use any silica based product, silicosis can kill you. I don't blast, but my gunsmith who does, told me this much.

Thanks for the warning!

quote:
Oh, and shave your beard first. The beard hurts the seal.

This I know from my Army days and gas mask training Smile

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I don't have any personal knowledge of this company but maybe worth a call:https://online.flowpaper.com/7a430763/CruisnewsWoodwardDreamCruiseAugust2018/#page=79

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
A member of this forum CCR offers Bead Blasting on stainless guns. His website says that this service starts @ 89.00. I hope this helps. BTW they are " Top notch ".

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pickle Rick:
A member of this forum CCR offers Bead Blasting on stainless guns. His website says that this service starts @ 89.00. I hope this helps. BTW they are " Top notch ".

That would be just a bit >< excessive for what I need. Never mind the cost of shipping the parts back and forth.