SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In the past I suggested a sleep aid ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the past I suggested a sleep aid ... Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I use Alteril from time to time. It works and I get a good sleep but today I have a rotten headache. I looked it up and found that is a common side effect.

I can't shake this one. It doesn't feel like a migraine but it feels like an axe in my skull.

Just a warning to those that may have taken my suggestion.

Posts: 45323 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
In the past I used to take an occasional Ambien to get a good nights sleep. My stinking doctor refused to keep giving me a new prescription every six months or so (yes thirty pills lasted six months for me).

Instead, she suggested 10mg Melatonin tablets. Much to my surprise these work just as well, if not better for me. YMMV

Posts: 13666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
Try two 500mg Tylenol PM an hour before bedtime...they contain Benedril...

Use the Tylenol brand...similar generics did not do the job for me...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Hydrate. It should help.

Posts: 3570 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by varoadking:

Why risk adverse effects from Tylenol such as rebound headache instead of just buying Benadryl?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23084 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Why risk adverse effects from Tylenol such as rebound headache instead of just buying Benadryl?

Because, different strokes. Benedryl gives me trembles and raises my blood pressure and Tylenol PM doesn't.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Diphenhydramine, while it does put me to sleep, doesn't seem to allow me to wake up rested. Melatonin doesn't seem to work alone. The mix in Alteril seems to be the only thing that helps me get a restful night's sleep. It's totally not worth going through the next day with a headache though.

Posts: 45323 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
[Because, different strokes. Benedryl gives me trembles and raises my blood pressure and Tylenol PM doesn't.

You might check the ingredients of Tylenol PM. Wink

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Benadryl or Xanax.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Sleepytime Extra with a little honey works for me.

My sister, also an insomnia sufferer, swears by a little grass...in your choice of vehicle. Just sayin'.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
[Because, different strokes. Benedryl gives me trembles and raises my blood pressure and Tylenol PM doesn't.

I'm aware. If they were identical, the results would be the identical. Since I have good results with one and bad with the other... Wink

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I bought some CBD Oil based on the reviews in the thread a few weeks ago. It has helped me sleep a lot without any negative side effects.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4310 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On some advice, I started taking a magnesium citrate supplement right before I sleep and it made a huge difference for me. I am not a doctor.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm aware. If they were identical, the results would be the identical. Since I have good results with one and bad with the other... Wink

Given Gustofer's occupation, I'm pretty sure he's more aware of drug ingredients/interactions than most of us. Unless you are saying that acetaminophen is suppressing the tremors and BP elevation, it doesn't make sense.

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Never heard of Alteril, but have use Zquil, in capsule form. Seems to help, and non addicting. Never had a headache from using it, and not getting the drowsy feeling in the morning either.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Given Gustofer's occupation, I'm pretty sure he's more aware of drug ingredients/interactions than most of us. Unless you are saying that acetaminophen is suppressing the tremors and BP elevation, it doesn't make sense.

If that doesn't make sense, what does? Am I lying?

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m1009:
Never heard of Alteril, but have use Zquil, in capsule form. Seems to help, and non addicting. Never had a headache from using it, and not getting the drowsy feeling in the morning either.
That's diphenhydramine. It makes me sleep but I feel like I didn't in the morning.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Melatonin works great for me. You have to work out the dosage for each person but it doesn't have any serious side effects and possibly some other good things. There are studies being done to test possible anticancer effects.
It's produced naturally in your body to regulate sleep and as you get older it produces less.
They sell it over the counter almost anywhere and it's cheap.
I would definitely try it first before taking any sort of prescription narcotic/drug that can have all sorts of issues, be habit forming, etc.

Posts: 9440 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Remember to those of you taking melatonin supplements: Your body will stop making it's own melatonin, so if you ever stop taking it, you'll have up to a month of no sleep. Make sure you taper down slowly.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Hasn't been an issue for me, I guess...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post