SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shorpy picture. Identify the firearms ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shorpy picture. Identify the firearms ... Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted

From Columbus, Georgia, or vicinity circa 1959 comes this uncaptioned shot of a guy and his guns,
all ready for a well-regulated sleepover. 4x5 inch acetate negative from the Shorpy News Photo Archive.

Link to much larger original + caption ... http://www.shorpy.com/node/232...ze=_original#caption

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, from left to right, Browning A5, Japanese Arisaka type 38, muzzleloader, of military type (not sure what). That's all I got right now. To much Bourbon.... Smile

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Picking up where he left off

The muzzleloader looks to be a Springfield rifle chambered in .54, the primary arm of the Union during the Civil War

The next one with the scope looks to be a Marlin Model 66.

The next to the right is a Benjamin pneumatic pump air gun in .177.

I think the revolver is a Smith & Wesson Model 30.

And I have no clue what the rifle on the floor ism

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
The two rifles closest to the gentleman seem to be 22s. One possibly a Marlin, and the other a Mossburg. Or the Mossburg might be a Pump up pellet gun (Sheridan) due to the separate forend wood.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The .22 with the scope is one of the JC Higgins Model 28/29/30/31/32/34/36 series. They were produced by High Standard for Sears from the 1940s-1960s.

Notice the very distinctive stock.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Looks like Little Timmy has the beginnings of a diversified collection. Today he'd have a closet full of AR receivers, a Glock 19, 2 $400 never fired PSA ARs, and about 300 Glock mags (for Glocks he doesn't own) and 200 PMAGS, all to hedge against the next panic. Oh, and a 10/22.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Looking at the original photo (which is a little sharper) in the link...the pattern on the revolver's ejector rod makes me think it is an H&R .22...

Also looking at the original photo again...I would bet the shotgun is a Remington Model 11...it still has the inside the triggerguard safety that Remington retained for 20 or so years...I might be wrong but I think Browning switched over to the Garand style safety early on the Belgian guns...somebody on the forum might have more info on the changes.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The .22 with the scope is one of the JC Higgins Model 28/29/30/31/32/34/36 series. They were produced by High Standard for Sears from the 1940s-1960s.

Notice the very distinctive stock.

I have this very rifle with scope. My dad gave it to me years ago. He got it for Christmas in his teens.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post