SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog who slept beside his master's grave every night for 11 years, dies
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog who slept beside his master's grave every night for 11 years, dies Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
A loyal dog called Capitan has died after sleeping at his master's graveside every night for 11 years.

The black Alsatian was some four years old when Miguel Guzman, who had bought the dog as a present for his son, Damian, passed away in 2006 in Villa Carlos Paz, near Cordoba, Argentina's second city.

The dog disappeared not long afterwards and the family thought he had found a new home or had been killed.

But several months later, on one of their visits to the cemetery during 2007, there was Capitan. To their astonishment, neighbours told them how they started to feed him when they realised he slept by the grave each night.

And so the grieving hound continued his sad vigil until dying himself a few days ago at about 15 years of age, the daily newspaper La Voz reported.

What amazed the family the most was that the cemetery was a long way from where they live and Capitan had never accompanied them there before he disappeared.

Six years ago, Mr Guzman's widow Veronica, reflecting on the pet's graveside vigil, told Argentina's Cordoba newspaper: 'We searched for him but he had vanished. We thought he must have got run over and died.

'The following Sunday we went to the cemetery and Damian recognised his pet. Capitan came up to us, barking and wailing, as if he were crying.'

She added: 'We had never taken him to the cemetery so it is a mystery how he managed to find the place.

'We went back the next Sunday, and he was there again. This time, he followed us home and spent a bit of time with us, but then went back to the cemetery before it started getting dark.

'I don't think he wanted to leave Miguel on his own at night.'

The cemetery's director Hector Baccega added: 'He turned up here one day, all on his own, and started wandering all around the cemetery until he eventually found the tomb of his master.

'During the day he sometimes has a walk around the cemetery, but always rushes back to the grave. And every day, at six o'clock sharp, he lies down on top of the grave stays there all night.'

Staff at the cemetery fed and took care of the faithful pooch.

Mr Guzman's son Damian said he had tried to bring Capitan home several times, but he always went straight back to the cemetery.

Poignantly, he added: 'I think he's going to be there until he dies too. He's looking after my dad.'

The story is similar to that of Hachiko, an Akita who is said to have waited at a Tokyo train station for its master to return each day for nine years from May 1925, following owner Hidesaburo Ueno's death at work.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...t-masters-grave.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
damn...

just damn

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
I love dogs

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Good boy.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Similar to a local story.

Shep the dog, Fort Benton, Montana.

http://www.fortbenton.com/shep.html

Posts: 11156 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The story of Greyfriars Bobby as told by Jack Palance, apparently right before Shane whacked him. Big Grin

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjSkBhCVb3M

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Capitan was a good dog...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I hate it when something gets in my eyes. Frown

Posts: 22888 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Very similar to the story of Hachiko from Japan.

There is something in my eye as I type.

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
We should always honor our dogs, and remember their loyalty.

PS. Waiting for Hachiko.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where do dogs go when they die? Can I go there too?

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That brought tears to my eyes. Always faithful...
That story tore me up.

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by katndog:
I love dogs

THIS in spades! Thanks for posting!

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
damn...

just damn

Yeah. Must be something wrong with the innerweb or something! Screen just went nuts and got all cloudy.

Nothing like a dog!

Truly God's gift to mankind.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Incredible story. “Alsatian?” You’d think there would be lots of people comfortable with GSD in Argentina.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable. Such a story. One of God’s best gifts to mankind.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10907 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It's a very touching story, but one has to worry about the dog's life. Could there be any happiness for him?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Bet a cat wouldn't do that.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Heaven is the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you. I sure hope that is true. Truly, next to my wife the best friends I've had in life were my dogs. RIP Capitan. Hope they bury him with his master.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post