SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone done LED headlight conversion??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone done LED headlight conversion?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have either VVME or Kensun HIDs in all of my vehicles and they are great.
They are in projectors and properly aimed so no blinding of other drivers so no need to comment about that.
Got the new van on the way and trying to decide if I should give the Kensun LED conversion a try as one does not have to worry about mounting ballasts.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have factory HID's on one of my vehicles, however I have been researching performing a LED swap for the foglights that currently have H3 bulbs. Whatever you do, do NOT buy the cheapo Chinese made LED's. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Changed out the Silverado a few years ago. Nice, but not world changing.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
I have factory HID's on one of my vehicles, however I have been researching performing a LED swap for the foglights that currently have H3 bulbs. Whatever you do, do NOT buy the cheapo Chinese made LED's. God Bless Smile

The foglight thing sounds interesting. I've noticed the factory fog lights on my F150 are not very bright at all, and I'd like to see the lines in the road a little better in the rain.

Did you notice a significant difference along those lines with the upgrade of your fog light bulbs ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8660 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Fog lights are good because they shine to the side of the road where your standard lights do not cover. Also they shine low and do not bother other drivers.

I run the H3 100 watt in the Hella Fog Lights even though they are rated for only 50 watts.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got done doing this to my 2017 Honda Ridgeline. I changed the low beam headlights and fog lights. I got the Philips Xtreme LED kit that was plug and play, the whole thing was around $200 and shipped from Xenon Depot in Canada. I'm very happy with how it turned out and now my lights match the LED daytime running lights.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:

The foglight thing sounds interesting. I've noticed the factory fog lights on my F150 are not very bright at all, and I'd like to see the lines in the road a little better in the rain.

Did you notice a significant difference along those lines with the upgrade of your fog light bulbs ?

I don't like HID foglights. In serious rain or snow to have all lights with HID can create way too much reflection and can be far more blinding.

I swap all my fogs (except our Highlander as it uses some stupid bulb that I have not been able to source a yellow bulb for and have not felt like tinting the lens) with standard halogen bulbs that are yellow in color they highlight the edge of the road and lines nicely without being over bearing. The yellow seems to make one stand out a little more to other drivers.

I am going to give some yellow LEDs a try in this van to see how I like them.

————————————————

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting to try some. I don't like how long it takes for the hid to come on with the kit I got.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
I've been wanting to try some. I don't like how long it takes for the hid to come on with the kit I got.

Which kit do you have? Both my VVME and Kensuns are fully warm in under 10 seconds.
It is just the nature of the beast. You don't just turn on HID lights you ignite them!

————————————————

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I replaced the headlights in my Jeep with LED's from JW Speaker. It was easy and is a huge improvement over the surprisingly awful stock headlights.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
I just got done doing this to my 2017 Honda Ridgeline. I changed the low beam headlights and fog lights. I got the Philips Xtreme LED kit that was plug and play, the whole thing was around $200 and shipped from Xenon Depot in Canada.

PossibleZombe... I just picked-up my 2017 BlackEdition 2 weeks ago and am also looking to change out some of the bulbs to LEDs. Are the Philips the only brand you looked at or did you decide on those after some research?

I am also looking to do the courtesy lights in the doors and in the bed. Any leads on those?

OP... sorry for the mini-hijack Smile

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'd like to do a LED conversion, but there aren't any for D3S bulbs.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.opt-7.com/
I switch wife's CRV to their led light, a bit light spill but not too bad don't see on coming traffic complaint about it, the different compare to stock is night and day.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
Where I really noticed a difference is on our ATV and Mule utility vehicle.

Less battery drain, no more self-dimming when idling.

Very nice.

Bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I put a leds on my Harley and the difference is significant. A wide flat white beam combined with great distance.

Wouldn't go back to halogen or hid

However the led I used was specifically designed for the bike not a conversion kit

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I will give the Kensun LED kit a try. I have their HID kit and the quality is great. Their LED kit uses a US made Cree chip so it should be very high quality.
Amazon has a very friendly return policy so if I don't like them I'll just send them back and get the HIDs.

————————————————

Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got done doing this to my 2017 Honda Ridgeline. I changed the low beam headlights and fog lights. I got the Philips Xtreme LED kit that was plug and play, the whole thing was around $200 and shipped from Xenon Depot in Canada. I'm very happy with how it turned out and now my lights match the LED daytime running lights.

The nice feature with these Philips bulbs is no fan, but a heat sink.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
http://www.4x4truckleds.com/xh...ight-conversion-kit/

Here's an additional option if the Kensun don't work out for you.
They have options for quite a few bulb styles.

XHP50 have an LED on 2 sides. XHP70 on one side (for projectors with a cutoff shield).

Lot of F150 guys use them.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Not sure the LED bulbs are quite there, compared to a proper projector with a quality HID bulb. I would pass.

I would possibly put some LED based bulbs in turn signals but not headlights.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DonDraper,

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
quote:
I just got done doing this to my 2017 Honda Ridgeline. I changed the low beam headlights and fog lights. I got the Philips Xtreme LED kit that was plug and play, the whole thing was around $200 and shipped from Xenon Depot in Canada.

PossibleZombe... I just picked-up my 2017 BlackEdition 2 weeks ago and am also looking to change out some of the bulbs to LEDs. Are the Philips the only brand you looked at or did you decide on those after some research?

I am also looking to do the courtesy lights in the doors and in the bed. Any leads on those?

OP... sorry for the mini-hijack Smile

I went with Philips and a few other brands for all my interior LEDs and back up bulbs. There are plenty of quality LED makers out there but I just went with the brands I trust.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
vanity mirrors

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
back up lights

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
interior lights

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
cargo lights

Hope this helps.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post