SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpner
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpner Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If you're getting the Ken Onion worksharp, get the Blade Grinder Attachment. Seriously.

I concur.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the Great American Tool Company's harpening System(GATCO). It's actually quite easy and a whole lot less $
Made in the USA

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Reviving this old thread instead of starting a new one...

Bought a KO Work Sharp sharpener back in October after looking at a bunch of different options. I wanted something that was relatively simple, fast, and did a good job at getting a good edge on pocket knives, carry knifes, and maybe even risk my mid-line Henckels kitchen knifes.

Finally pulled it out of the box today and did a test run on my EDC 770CFM4. I did 3 passes each side with the X65 belt followed by 5 passes each side with the X22 belt and finishing with 5 passes each side with X4 belt. Brought the blade back to out of box sharp as well as removing a couple little knicks I had managed to get on the edge.

Color me impressed. Everything I was looking for, reasonable priced and almost idiot proof.

Going to put a good edge on my Dasd’s pocket knife now that probably hasn’t been sharpened in the past 30 years or so.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yep, me too. But you do need to pay attention on what to do and how to do it. Makes the outcome a whole lot better. It is a good system. Is it a precision sharpening system. I would say not. But a darn good one. And if you refine your skill with it you can get great results.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Yep, me too. But you do need to pay attention on what to do and how to do it. Makes the outcome a whole lot better. It is a good system. Is it a precision sharpening system. I would say not. But a darn good one. And if you refine your skill with it you can get great results.

They included a printed cardboard card explaining the process and suggested belts/numbers of passes for different types of knives based on how they are used and how sharp you want them.

Will work on some more pocket knifes and inexpensive Kershaw befor giving it a go on the kitchen knives. Kitchen knives don’t really need it yet, but by the time they do I want to be comfortable and well versed with the process.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Wicked Edge is hands down the most foolproof and easiest.
And insanely expensive. I bought Ken Onion WS for like $90 on sale at Northern Tool last year and it does a decent enough job of putting edges on my knives.
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
...it's like a razor when done correctly.
Which is exactly my problem. I can't ever seem to get a good result with stones.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had Work Sharp for a whike now, and I love it. It makes sharpning a knife dummy proof.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've accumulated an embarrassingly large drawer full of sharpeners that seem good at first but in short order somehow fail to accomplish my mission.

A few years back stumbled into a deal on the manual bench version of "Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System". With 4 diamond stones & a leather strop plate plus ceramic rods & adjustable rocking cradle holder, it continues to do wonders for my needs. EDC now possible to cut "fast wide deep & often" before the blood begins to flow....

cutlery is a pleasant task, even the large chefs knife. Haven't touched the serrated stuff yet, but the ceramic rods await everything from my precious dull-fishhook-collection to long bread knives.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I like the ken onion when I'm sharpening convex edges. It is fantastic. I get different grits from micromesh for something like a dollar each.

It isn't going to do the job you for you if your expecting to read news print in the edge reflection though.

If your striving for perfections then nothing replaces proper belt set ups, or expensive systems like tspro from russia.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Can someone go over the difference with the Ken Onion worksharp?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I restore the general edge shape with the sanding bands or the Lansky thing. But real edges are done on my Grandpas wet stone. This stone is old, from prewar. I dribble water on it as I stroke. I maintain with a steel my Dad used in his inspecting for USDA APHIS MPIP as a DVM.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
When we kill and butcher a bunch of wild hogs we trapped the Worksharp keeps us going. 6 of us butchering 8 hogs had about 15 knives among us and it was a pleasure to always have sharp blades

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
<snip>
Haven't touched the serrated stuff yet, but the ceramic rods await everything from my precious dull-fishhook-collection to long bread knives.

The only serrated-edge knife I use is my Tojiro bread knife. It has never dulled, and I don’t think it ever will – bread is so soft that it won’t dull that excellent steel.

I’m careful to avoid letting its serrated edge come in contact with the cutting board. When a loaf is nearly cut through, I use only its tip to complete the cut. The far 3/8th inch end of the knife isn’t serrated. That part of the blade is easily sharpened by conventional methods, if necessary.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post