SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpner
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpner Login/Join 
posted
So I suck at putting a good edge on a knife. I have been toying with the idea of getting one of the Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpeners.

This would mostly be used for pocket knive,multi tools, fixed blade knives, hatchet, and a couple of axes.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which model to get (or something else), to make the job as "dummy proof" as possible?

Thanks for the help

Posts: 2222 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithbc:
So I suck at putting a good edge on a knife. I have been toying with the idea of getting one of the Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpeners.

This would mostly be used for pocket knive,multi tools, fixed blade knives, hatchet, and a couple of axes.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which model to get (or something else), to make the job as "dummy proof" as possible?

Thanks for the help

Get the Ken Onion model.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I've used one to sharpen chisels before at work (I put binding on guitar bodies). I much prefer water stones, but it produces a respectable edge after stropping on leather charged with with the red and then white compounds they use on the lacquer in the buffing department.

Based on the one I used, I wouldn't personally buy one (I have water stones already for my chisels), but I also wouldn't outright dismiss their offerings aimed at knives. This is actually a complete 180° change from my position when I started 6 months ago. If one were gifted to me I wouldn't think twice about using it for stuff like reprofiling knives.

Just be careful with how much pressure you apply. Sandpaper is more than capable of throwing sparks, and I have had to snuff out more than one patch of glowing embers. The one we have likes to generate a lot of "fuzz" that then ignites. I'll try to find out what model we have tomorrow.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one I never use. If you want it shoot me an email and I’ll send it to you. I tried it on one or two knives and decided I liked my stones better. Seriously, it’s just sitting on the floor in my basement. I won’t miss it.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the Ken Onion model for Christmas and was able to put razor sharp edges on some kitchen knives that I’ve never been able to get an edge on. It took less than 30 minutes to sharpen 6 kitchen knives. Same for some scissors my wife uses in the kitchen So far I’m sold.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
I’ve got one I never use. If you want it shoot me an email and I’ll send it to you. I tried it on one or two knives and decided I liked my stones better. Seriously, it’s just sitting on the floor in my basement. I won’t miss it.

- Bret

If smithbc does not want it I would like to give it a try as I have the same problem as he.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:

- Bret

Thanks,

I just sent you an e mail

Posts: 2222 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a lanaky kit, several sets of stones, a razor hone and a leather strop, I can put a razor sharp edge on a knife. When the work sharp first came out I had just been diagnosed with arthritis (OA & RA) and sharpening my knives with stones hurt. I bought the original work sharp and it worked great with much less effort on my part, once I get a knife shaving sharp when it starts to get a little dull I just use cheramic sticks to true up the edge. I can sharen all the knives in my house in a short period of time. I really like the work sharp.
It

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Like everyone else I have a drawer full of high expectations & poor performance.

Finally got the WSGSS version of Worksharp manual set up.

After Lansky System/tons of other stuff, this one works for me.

The power Onion deal wasn't what I was after, as the developing the manual skill to produce the sharp edge is a pleasure in itself.

The trial performance was exceptional. About 2 years ago Cabelas had a large hands-on display of various mfg units for the shopper to use.

I tried my daily carry & acquired superior edge in only a few strokes. Not satisfied with that, on 2 subsequent store visits I brought other really dull knives. They too responded very well.

I got the model with extra coarse to extra fine diamond hones, with ceramic and leather accessory pack. With my magic coupon the entire deal was under $60.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I have the original model. I'd love to get the Ken Onion version, but can't really rationalize the expenditure since my knives are all sharp. I'd buy one again, for sure.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also have the original version, do not have need for Onion one. Quite happy with it

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Ken Onion version, and love it. I'm a foodie, and use my kitchen knives a LOT, plus regularly dull my carry knife.

The WSKO puts a razor edge on my knives REALLY fast. Fast being the main thing. I need to frequently sharpen a bunch of knives, and at this point in my life do NOT have the time to have "knife therapy" on stones or rods, no matter how much I may or may not want to. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wicked Edge is hands down the most foolproof and easiest.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
I have the Ken Onion version, and love it. I'm a foodie, and use my kitchen knives a LOT, plus regularly dull my carry knife.

The WSKO puts a razor edge on my knives REALLY fast. Fast being the main thing. I need to frequently sharpen a bunch of knives, and at this point in my life do NOT have the time to have "knife therapy" on stones or rods, no matter how much I may or may not want to. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

I have one as well, but beware, you can round over the point really easy. Otherwise they work just fine for power sharpening. A stone and strop is the ultimate for hand work, it's like a razor when done correctly.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I have the manual worksharp and I still cant get a knife sharp.

I have a spyderco sharp maker and the work sharp and I am still unable to put a decent edge on a knife Frown

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Moving belts and sandpaper...create heat which can reverse the Heat Treating used to harden the steel. If that happens you will never get it sharp, and if you do it will not hold an edge. So remember, the finer the grit the more heat generated with a moving belt/wheel. Light pressure!! I myself use a Wicked Edge.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I've always prided myself on keeping my knives, wood working tools, etc razor sharp, but it took a lot of time to keep them that way. For almost 50 years I used a good set of Japanese water stones, but a couple years ago I got a Ken Onion Worksharp with the extra blade grinding attachment.

Now it takes hardly any time at all to put an edge on anything from my finest knife to mower blades for the lawn tractor.

A word of warning though- if you don't have a good understanding of knife sharpening skills to begin with, then the only thing any power sharpener will do for you is ruin a good blade much faster than doing it by hand.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I have the manual worksharp and I still cant get a knife sharp.

I have a spyderco sharp maker and the work sharp and I am still unable to put a decent edge on a knife Frown

I almost bought the KME for $200 on Amazon because I have similar problems. People say it's all about consistency, but nothing works for me.

I have to give these methods a try
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2nyyBMXOBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPGGo3W15HQ

I've tried the Cliff Stamp method, but I knever know what angle to use during the fast motion portion.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If you're getting the Ken Onion worksharp, get the Blade Grinder Attachment. Seriously.

I get the catharsis of using stones but for fast sharpening, the Ken Onion worksharp with the blade grinder attachment is the best thing since sliced bread.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get the Ken Onion model.

Yep!
quote:
I have one as well, but beware, you can round over the point really easy.

Read the instruction manual. STOP the belt before you run the tip all the way over off the belt. That's the only way to round the tip and it tells you NOT to do that.
My automatic pocket knife has a tanto tip, it isn't rounded and neither are my kitchen knives.
quote:
Moving belts and sandpaper...create heat which can reverse the Heat Treating used to harden the steel.

If you are creating heat, you're doing it wrong. The belts don't move that fast and you shouldn't need NEARLY the amount of pressure for that to take place.
The WSKO model is not a high speed machine. I've tried bench mounted muslin wheels treated with rouge that create 10 times more heat than a WSKO could ever dream of.

After sharpening all the kitchen knives, a few strokes on a steel brings them right back to SHARP. If they get dull, (after the wife uses them to do Godknowswhat) a couple of minutes of the WSKO with the higher grit belts is all that is needed.
My pocket knives gets a couple of strokes on the ceramic rods for touchups after opening boxes, etc., etc., you know...regular pocket knife stuff.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post