SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vizio flat screen TV's worth buying
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vizio flat screen TV's worth buying Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I have one outdoors on my patio. Been there for 4.5 years and still works great. Very happy with it.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
There for awhile Vizio was hit or miss. My cousin bought a Vizio through Costco around 2006 and had to return the product 3 times before she got one that lasted more than 7 months. Me....I want to justify buying one those LED flat screens but my 46 inch Hitachi rear projection HDTV that was bought in 2003 won't die.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hooch:
A guy I work with was going to buy a new Vizio until he found out they don't put TV tuners in their sets anymore. So if you want local off air channels you have to buy a separate tuner to get them.

Good info I'll have to check and see if this set has a tuner, I don't want the hassle of having to go out and buy a tuner especially since I use a roof antenna and no cable or satillite. No tuner would be a show stopper for me.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spend the extra and get a Samsung. Worth every penny. On a 70" quality is VERY noticeable between the brands. Not so much on a 46"

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
A guy I work with was going to buy a new Vizio until he found out they don't put TV tuners in their sets anymore. So if you want local off air channels you have to buy a separate tuner to get them.

Eek

Glad I read this. I was thinking of buying one just for this.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

Eek

Glad I read this. I was thinking of buying one just for this.

I did not realize this. Did a little peeking on their site. They are referring to the ones without TV tuners as displays as they rightly should. Though I bet quite a few people have made it home without knowing this.

I see this as a pretty dumb idea with the large amount of people who are dumping cable and satellite to stream and OTA signal.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:

Good info I'll have to check and see if this set has a tuner, I don't want the hassle of having to go out and buy a tuner especially since I use a roof antenna and no cable or satillite. No tuner would be a show stopper for me.

I checked and this set doesn't have a tuner so I passed. Thanks for the information I would have never thought the TV didn't come with a tuner and I wouldn't want the hassle of trying to return it

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Got a 55" at Walmart 5 years ago.
Works as advertised with zero issues.
Good value for the money.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've had one for a few years now and it works great. One thing I like about the older and some newer models is that they have the speakers in the front of the tv,instead of the rear. We have a newer TV, not a Vizio, with the speakers in the rear and I hate it. I wound up getting a sound bar so I can actually hear the thing instead of the sound going everywhere else in the room instead of directly in front.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do you have a Samsung smartphone? There are some commonalities that make buying a Samsung TV a good idea if you have one.

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I have a Vizio 4K 55 inch and it has a great picture.. and has been as good or better than the Samsung it replaced.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were doing a theater, Samsung. For secondary sets (bedroom, etc), Vizio has been fine.

I agree that at 70", you might notice more unless you are watching 4K content with 720p eyes.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I bought a 65 inch Vizio about a month ago. It is an M series. If you want a Vizio, get the M series. There is a big difference between the P and M Series. I am VERY happy with it.

Most of Vizio's large sets do not come with a tuner. I have DirecTV and Netflix so it didnt matter to me.

CNet.com rankings put the LG OLED TV as the best on the market but they run at least $3k. The M-65 Vizio I bought is a small step down from the LG but less than half the price.

This is my 3rd Vizio. My first was a 47 inch 1080p that I purchased 10 years ago. It had a lot of hours on it and finally died about a month ago. I was wanting a 4k TV so I was no disappointed. The second Vizio is about 7 years old. I bought it and hooked it up to my 17 year old's x-box. Not sure how many hours are on that TV but it is a ton. He uses it for video games and Netflix. It is still going strong, much to his dismay. He wants 4k now too...

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Spend a bit more and get an entry level Samsung. Times better

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
If they do not have a tuner, they cannot legally call them televisions, and need to label them as monitors.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
I bought a 65 inch Vizio about a month ago. It is an M series. If you want a Vizio, get the M series. There is a big difference between the P and M Series. I am VERY happy with it.

Most of Vizio's large sets do not come with a tuner. I have DirecTV and Netflix so it didnt matter to me.

CNet.com rankings put the LG OLED TV as the best on the market but they run at least $3k. The M-65 Vizio I bought is a small step down from the LG but less than half the price.

This is my 3rd Vizio. My first was a 47 inch 1080p that I purchased 10 years ago. It had a lot of hours on it and finally died about a month ago. I was wanting a 4k TV so I was no disappointed. The second Vizio is about 7 years old. I bought it and hooked it up to my 17 year old's x-box. Not sure how many hours are on that TV but it is a ton. He uses it for video games and Netflix. It is still going strong, much to his dismay. He wants 4k now too...

The Vizio P series is their higher end line. The M series is a step down. If there is a "big difference" between the P and M series why would you recommend the lower end of that "big difference"?

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
If they do not have a tuner, they cannot legally call them televisions, and need to label them as monitors.

They call them displays.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My BIL has a severe brain injury and lives with us. His Vizio 48" is about 10yrs old and runs 24-7,still going strong.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I bought a vizio 10 years ago when my wife and i were engaged. It still works great, never had an issue with it - we gave it to my wife's little brother when he got married. I've since added 3 more vizios and never had any issues with any of them.

My dad told me as a kid to look at what companies make. If polaroid or Kodak make cameras, then their cameras are probably pretty good. if Sony, Samsung and LG make everything.... then you're paying more for the brand and they're mass producing a wide variety. not to say it's bad or will have issues, but that the price will reflect the name.

Vizio has only really ever made TV's to my knowledge. they've expanded somewhat now with HDMI cables and TV accessories. But they've been able to keep up with technological advances like 4k and smart tv capabilites, while keeping their prices low. they also have the best customer service in TVs (so i"ve herd. i've not had to use them). Working in retail, we see more LG tv's come back with issues than anything else (brand wise). Rarely see Vizio come back - and when they do, I like to ask why. usually, it's "because we decided to go bigger." on occasion its "because my wife didn't like it," or something. verrrrrry rarely is there an issue with a vizio TV.

I stick with Sony for blu-ray players (since they invented the format) and Vizio for TV's.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post