SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vizio flat screen TV's worth buying
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vizio flat screen TV's worth buying Login/Join 
posted
I've been looking for a 70" TV for the living room and found a 70" Vizio on sale for 899. It's 4K HD but it's last year's model, I don't care about that, but I do care if it's a quality product or not. I'm not a big TV watcher so I don't need the top of the line model with a bunch of features I'll never use. Id just like would like to hear people that have owned Vizio.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
We had one for a while. The speakers shorted out in less than 2 years and we had to use a sound bar with it.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
mine works great and has been trouble free...I think they are good for the money

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
My parents have one. Was cheaper than mainstream brands but the pic quality isn't as good. I'd say it is lower priced but not better value.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Vizio 32" (the biggest size to fit the space), it's a couple of years old, it's 1080p and it has a very good picture. The sound is a little lacking, but most flat panel types do. That didn't matter as I was going to have it hooked up to a Surround Sound Theater System.

I'm very happy with it, it has preformed very well and it was cheaper than most in that category. Plus to me it had a better picture that some costing more.

Is it the best? No. There are better T.V.s out there, but they cost quite a bit more. To me it wasn't worth the extra money for the size and use.

Maybe if I was building a top notch home theater system I might have chose a different T.V., but I'm happy with my current Vizio.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say they are high quality, but rather more like mid-tier at best. That being said, I know a few people that are happy with theirs. Those people are not as picky/critical as I am. My Samsung has a quite noticeably better picture.

Check out this forum for lots of great information, it is the sigforum of all things audio/visual:

www.Avsforum.com.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I got a 47" one from Amazon nearly six years ago and it has been trouble free.

The sound system sucked and I did spring for a Bose auxiliary system. I watch a lot of classical music vids on YouTube, so it might be adequate for normal use.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I got a great deal on a 43" 4K Visio model Memorial Day before last.

I wish I had replaced my Samsung with another Samsung.

The Visio's picture is good enough (not as good as Samsung), but the speakers suck (we routinely have to crank them all the way up - especially with streaming content where we can't use the cable box volume as an amplifier), the built-in apps are lacking with no support for additional apps that I used w/ the Samsung (like HBO GO), I don't find the menus to be as user friendly, and every now and then it chokes and either turns itself off or does something else requiring a restart to fix.

I'm watching Labor Day sales for a replacement Samsung.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vizio is good t ogo i nmy book. I used to be a snob when it came to TV brands. Panasonic for plasma displays (after Pioneer Kuros ended), and Samsung for LCD panels. No longer. Now I have just about every brand (Sony, Vizio, Panasonic, LG, Toshiba), having gambled on a Costco Vizio (with a squaretrade warranty) and crossed my fingers. I love mine. Zero issues after one year+.

avsforum is a great site, as well as rtings.com (TVs only).

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My mere 32-inch bought in 2009 does what it's supposed to.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 and have a great pic.
There are different levels that they make. I have the top level ones.
I like ours.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Happy with our 55 inch 4K from Costco bought about a year and a half ago.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 65 inch I bought last Black Friday. Highly recommend getting a sound bar, which I had heard from others and bought one with the TV.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
A guy I work with was going to buy a new Vizio until he found out they don't put TV tuners in their sets anymore. So if you want local off air channels you have to buy a separate tuner to get them.

Posts: 459 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I have a 70" Vizio 4K P Series I purchased in 2014 and it is a great TV. Got it at Costco and it has been trouble free.

I paid a TON more than $899 though. For that price you can't go wrong.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a Vizio and it has a nice picture. For your needs as you say you don't watch a lot of TV. While the picture is nice my Samsung plasma that is a couple years older has a better picture as does my Sony LED. But they were more than the Vizio.
As noted Vizio speakers are really bad. An inexpensive sound bar will likely be wanted.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 3501 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
We've had a Vizio plasma sonce 2007. Still works great, no issues. Bought a Vizio for the bedroom, nearly 2 years now, nice 50" and the picture on this one is fantastic! Even better than the old plasma. I recommend vizio, just from our experience. Really happy with both of them.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
when I worked in electronics retail, Vizio was our number one brand... in customer returns.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
mine works great and has been trouble free...I think they are good for the money

Same here. We have had our for at least 4-5 years. Never a problem, looks good, has pretty good sound, etc.

Has more capabilities than we need.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post