SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer guys step in please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer guys step in please Login/Join 
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted
I am having issues with Windows searching the shared drive on my network.
We have a dedicated server with one drive which has

30,000 files and 30 gigs of data.

We run a search for a name like smith,
now we use smith in the folder name so I date restrict to 1 month and punch in smith, and in 30 seconds the search is not complete and it is not showing any results.

This is not having to search every document, it's in the file name!

after about 2 minutes the explorer window just closes and never shows any results.

Any idea what is going on here?

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
https://www.fileseek.ca/

If you have access to the server, you can search local NTFS drives with Ultrasearch.

https://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch_free

Tools I used, not sure if they require admin permissions.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Try:
Get-ChildItem -Path C:\ -Filter *smith* -Recurse -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -Force

substituting which drive you're using. Run in powershell as admin.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post