SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    From the annals of "YWBAG": Grizzly bear attack stopped by man with Glock 43
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From the annals of "YWBAG": Grizzly bear attack stopped by man with Glock 43 Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
You'd think two experienced hunters would know better to carry something more appropriate in Grizzly bear country. I mean seriously.

Caliber doesn't matter as much as you may think:

Fine, carry a .380 ACP in Grizzly country if you want. I'll stick with my .44 mag Alaskan.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30294 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
You Will Buy A Glock? I think I got it. Thanks.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this story must be false

the internet has told me for years only 45-70s and up are adequate protection from large bears

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
“A warden suggested more power, and a large magazine capacity gave a better chance of hitting the central nervous system. He recommended the Glock 20 in 10mm.”

No bear around here but that’s exactly what I changed my side over to recently because the damn hogs are bad enough as it is.

Switched to the 20 because it has more capacity than my Delta Elite, and really didn’t feel like carrying a 1k-ish 1911 out in Texas heat. Sweating on it couldn’t have been a good thing.

It'd be hard to think of anything better than 15 rnds. of 10mm. Except:
https://www.etsgroup.us/ETS-30...9-40-p/glk-20-30.htm

Hmmm, good concept but probably not easy to walk around with while holstered. A 2nd G20 on the other hand.... I just might have to sweet talk SWMBO on that one.

And we’ll played Chuck Perry!

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

In addition to their archery equipment, both men had 9 mm pistols.

You'd think two experienced hunters would know better to carry something more appropriate in Grizzly bear country. I mean seriously.

Posts: 13795 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Holy crap. That's quite a chunk of meat missing.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19579 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many different ways did the writer tell us the bear had to be shot?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also at link are NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH images of Mr. Donivan's rather impressive collection of bear injuries. He probably will drink a few free beers telling the story.

Chicks dig scars, dudes got a conversation starter at any bar....

If I'm going into the woods, my 44 Mag or 10 mm is going with me... However better the 43 than nothing.

Posts: 23236 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Also at link are NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH images of Mr. Donivan's rather impressive collection of bear injuries. He probably will drink a few free beers telling the story.

Chicks dig scars, dudes got a conversation starter at any bar....

If I'm going into the woods, my 44 Mag or 10 mm is going with me... However better the 43 than nothing.

I've seen a lot of bears in the wilderness over the years. Mostly Black bears, but two Grizzly bears, as well (Montana). I would be terrified to defend with a small caliber weapon. I would still be terrified to defend with my G20, but that is what I carry now in the wilderness. Switched from a 44 mag revolver a few years ago. I understand many bears have been killed with small caliber pistols over the years. Any pistol is better than no pistol. But the odds are against you with a pea shooter caliber. They really are. Just ask a guide in Alaska.

By the way, Cougars/Mountain Lions are more dangerous than bears. You'll never know they are stalking you. Good thing those attacks are very rare.

Few pics from my fav spot in the North Cascades. Was just there three weeks ago. Now it is all snowed in. (7000 feet elevation and a very short season to get there)

https://imgur.com/a/e1yBv7k

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post