SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    From the annals of "YWBAG": Grizzly bear attack stopped by man with Glock 43
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From the annals of "YWBAG": Grizzly bear attack stopped by man with Glock 43 Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
By a man with a Glock 43.

quote:
Ammoland.com

Arizona -(Ammoland.com)- – On 16 September 2019, Chris Gregersen and Donivan Cambell were bow hunting elk in Montana, in the Gravelly Mountains, when they were attacked by a grizzly bear. They had gone out for an afternoon hunt, and had hunted up steep drainage, climbed the opposite slope, and had been calling for elk on the opposite side of the ridge with a bugle call.

They were returning to their truck and camp. They stopped calling on the top of the ridge, crested the ridge, and were on a steep downward slope, moving toward the creek at the bottom, on an old game trail. There was no cell service in the area.

The weather was clear, in the 50s, with a slight breeze. It was 6:30 p.m. The sun was low in the sky. They wanted to get back before dark.

In addition to their archery equipment, both men had 9 mm pistols. Chris Gregersen had a Glock 43. Donivan Campbell had a Sig Sauer P320. Both guns were loaded with full metal jacketed (FMJ) cartridges.

Chris said he carried the Glock 43 because it was small enough to be taken every day.

Both men are professional biologists, with degrees in wildlife ecology, working in their chosen field. They are familiar with bears and bear behavior. They live and work in Washington State. They are both longtime hunters and fishermen. They are proficient woodsmen.

As they crossed a small bench, they heard an animal jump up, downwind, in the brush to their left (West). It was close, within 20 yards. Their first thought was: elk! As they turned to look, the grizzly bear erupted from the brush, charging at them, woofing and breathing heavily, only feet away. Chris ran and jumped downhill. Donivan attempted to dodge uphill, but the bear veered and grabbed him by the thigh, shaking him like a dog shaking a rat. The initial attack happened in seconds.

Chris said, even if he had a deterrent in hand, he would not have been able to deploy it fast enough.

Chris had just landed when he heard Donivan scream. He immediately drew his pistol and ran uphill toward Donivan and the bear. The bear had shaken Donivan again. Donivan was on his belly, the bear holding him down by standing on his back. The bear had let go of Donivan's leg and was attempting to bite Donivan's head. Donivan had both hands behind his head, trying to protect his neck. His thumbs were in the bear's mouth, trying to hold the bear's teeth away from his head. He could feel the bear's teeth on his hands. To this point, the action had taken about fifteen seconds.

Chris said he had no choice. He had to fire. If he did not fire, Donivan would be killed or injured more severely. He had run to within 15 feet of the bear and Donivan, the bear facing away from him, on top of Donivan. He took a snap sight picture and fired at the bear's rear. It was probably 16 seconds into the attack. The point of aim was the bear's hind quarters. There was no other choice. The bear and Donivan were up slope with brush on either side. There was no time to flank the bear, on a steep hill side, with considerable brush, when fractions of a second could make the difference between life and death. Chris had a clear shot. He has considerable experience shooting under stress while hunting. He says he has “shot a lot.” He had a brief worry about hitting his friend, so he had to do it right.

Chris believes he hit the bear in one of the hind quarters, from the rear. The searchers reported finding a little blood, but it might have been Donivan's. From the back, a 9mm FMJ would be unlikely to reach the bear's vitals or penetrate far enough to reach Donivan. On a large bear, with lots of fat in the fall, a significant blood trail was unlikely.

ROSAL

Also at link are NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH images of Mr. Donivan's rather impressive collection of bear injuries. He probably will drink a few free beers telling the story.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Eek

Is that Wolf ammo?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

In addition to their archery equipment, both men had 9 mm pistols.

You'd think two experienced hunters would know better to carry something more appropriate in Grizzly bear country. I mean seriously.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Eek

Is that Wolf ammo?

Razz

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eek

Is that Wolf ammo?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By no means was he stopped, they just made him uncomfortable enough that he changed his mind. Luckily!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Eek Is that Wolf ammo?
No, it's the kind you use for shooting bear.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

In addition to their archery equipment, both men had 9 mm pistols.

You'd think two experienced hunters would know better to carry something more appropriate in Grizzly bear country. I mean seriously.

Grizzlies aren’t really a thing in Washington state (where these guys are from) and my personal take away from this is that a handgun of any caliber is something worth taking with you, bear spray or not.

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
This guy lives/hunts/guides in Grizzly country.

https://www.americanhunter.org...zly-with-9mm-pistol/

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“A warden suggested more power, and a large magazine capacity gave a better chance of hitting the central nervous system. He recommended the Glock 20 in 10mm.”

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]

And two experienced biologists, hunters, and experts in their field who are familiar with the behavior of bears might not have run...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
We know how a G43 was able to scare off a bear

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
“A warden suggested more power, and a large magazine capacity gave a better chance of hitting the central nervous system. He recommended the Glock 20 in 10mm.”

No bear around here but that’s exactly what I changed my side over to recently because the damn hogs are bad enough as it is.

Switched to the 20 because it has more capacity than my Delta Elite, and really didn’t feel like carrying a 1k-ish 1911 out in Texas heat. Sweating on it couldn’t have been a good thing.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

No bear around here but that’s exactly what I changed my side over to recently because the damn hogs are bad enough as it is.

Switched to the 20 because it has more capacity than my Delta Elite, and really didn’t feel like carrying a 1k-ish 1911 out in Texas heat. Sweating on it couldn’t have been a good thing.

It'd be hard to think of anything better than 15 rnds. of 10mm. Except:
https://www.etsgroup.us/ETS-30...9-40-p/glk-20-30.htm

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I would now be carrying a 44 mag or 45-70 carbine. Maybe a slug gun.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shit. I carry a G20 with extreme penetrators just to go dirt biking in West Virginia. You’d think these guys would bring something better than 9mm with shitty range ammo

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
3 years ago, a guide in Alaska killed a grizzly with a S&W 3953 (i.e. 9mm). Don't agree with his choice of gun, but at least he had the sense to have it loaded with Buffalo Bore and knew the vital areas to shoot.

During my 5 years in Alaska, I carried a Ruger Redhawk Super Alaskan in a Diamond D guide holster loaded with Buffalo Bore LBT-LFN. My first one was a .44 mag but I upgraded to .454 casull. Fortunately never had to use it, but I did:
  • have my hand on the grip when a grizzly effortlessly crossed a raging waterfall to fish close to me. I backed away and the bear didn't pay me a bit of attention as he was focused on catching salmon.
  • clear leather when I found myself alone in a bowl with a wolverine. It scampered off.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The article seems to describe a single shot being fired at the bear from behind. The later shot fired (reported as "shot," and not "shots") was fired into the brush at the sound of the bear, without a clear target.

The article also says that one of them is buying a G20.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    When I first moved to AK, the only handgun I had was a Glock 19. I kept it loaded with the Buffalo bore 147g hard cast.

Glad I never had to find out if it would work.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Laugh or Die
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Caliber doesn't matter as much as you may think:

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/...-effective-63-cases/

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post