SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dems in High-tax States trying to get around new Tax Law
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dems in High-tax States trying to get around new Tax Law Login/Join 
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I never understood why low tax/fiscally responsible sates should subsidize high tax/irresponsible ones. You want freebies, pay for it yourselves.

I think the same way about married taxpayers.

Or those with kids

Or college costs to take credits on

Or teachers freebee deductions

Or preferential tax rates for dividends or capital gains

Or those who defer taxes by saving for retirement

Anyone who takes one of the above entitlements is full on FSA Roll Eyes

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Well, if they make the state income tax a “charitable contribution” it would follow that the tax is voluntary no?

That's what I was wondering as well. Charitable contributions are not mandatory, and there are limits as to the amount of deduction that can be taken.

Mandatory charity - only in a Liberal mind is that not an oxymoron.

Sounds like you would owe the same state tax, but they would change their state tax law such that you get a direct credit for "donations " to the state, thus reducing your state "tax".

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
A big part of the tax law the dems don’t like is the property tax deduction limit.

In Illinois, the personal property tax is out of this world! For our house and land that it sits on it’s almost 6k a year. For the same property in say Tennessee, the tax would be around $300.

Go up around or in Chicago and it’s even worse!

After my wife retires, we plan on leaving this state!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
Why the surprise? Isn’t that how it usually works?

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I never understood why low tax/fiscally responsible sates should subsidize high tax/irresponsible ones. You want freebies, pay for it yourselves.

What are you talking about?
Generally speaking, the high tax states subsidize the low tax states. Take a look at the chart. If your state is below the red line, then you live in a “welfare” state... accepting more from the federal government than you put in.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
Take a look at the chart. If your state is below the red line, then you live in a “welfare” state... accepting more from the federal government than you put in.

I don't think that's the definition of average

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
It's all "Smoke and Mirrors" these states are looking to divert their own corrupt issues.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Residents in those high tax states are getting raped without even getting the common courtesy of a reach-around.

Big Grin
We in the rest of the free states just love sharing your tax load because you are so deserving.
well screw you.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
And how can you be forced to donate to a charitable organization?
Just like how one can be forced to buy health insurance-a little bit of legislative over-reach, sprinkled with a touch of judicial activism.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
A big part of the tax law the dems don’t like is the property tax deduction limit.

In Illinois, the personal property tax is out of this world! For our house and land that it sits on it’s almost 6k a year. For the same property in say Tennessee, the tax would be around $300.

Go up around or in Chicago and it’s even worse!

After my wife retires, we plan on leaving this state!

In CA property tax is 1% of property value as of the last sale/purchase, plus various local bond measures, and they get a small annual increase. In Silicon Valley a single floor 1600 ft house can easily be $1.5 Million or more, meaning the property tax, if you buy at that price, is $15K+ per year. But the prop tax of the house across the street, if it was purchased 30 years ago, could be $3K per year.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigMaverick:...

I think the same way about married taxpayers.

Or those with kids

Or college costs to take credits on

Or teachers freebee deductions

Or preferential tax rates for dividends or capital gains

Or those who defer taxes by saving for retirement

Anyone who takes one of the above entitlements is full on FSA Roll Eyes

And I am sure you voluntarily pay extra taxes every year just to make sure you don't get any freebies. Smile

In rough numbers the top 50% of the income earners pay 98% of the fed income taxes, so if your income is less than ~$59K per year, you are being subsidized.

And I might mention that dividends get a tax break because dividends are paid out of after-tax money. Corporations have already paid 1/3 of their income in taxes before they pay the dividend, for which they get no tax deduction. Thus dividends are taxed twice.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
if it was purchased 30 years ago, could be $3K per year.

Its worse than that here. They say they reappraise every 3 years or so. But the politically connected seem to somehow get very low appraisals. A friend who was running for the PVA (Property Valuation Administrator) told me it was really a "defensible value". I have no real idea what that means, except they can defend their favoritism. Anyone seeking fairness in a tax system will be frustrated.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Not to rain on any fantasies, but either the 'high-state'tax' Dems are smoking and not sharing, or the journalists reporting on this are.

To get a charitable donation deduction, you have to donate to an IRS-recognized charity. Section 501 etc. And the IRS keeps track. Here's their list of currently-approved charities.

So, this is not just dead on arrival, it is dead before arrival. Wink

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
High tax liberal states are worried that if their high taxpayers will no longer be able to deduct state taxes on their fed tax return, such taxpayers will move their money to other states with no or lower taxes, and states like CA will lose revenue.

I'm worried they'll move to other states and bring their commie philosophies with them.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
High tax liberal states are worried that if their high taxpayers will no longer be able to deduct state taxes on their fed tax return, such taxpayers will move their money to other states with no or lower taxes, and states like CA will lose revenue.

I'm worried they'll move to other states and bring their commie philosophies with them.

I can't say your concerns are unfounded. I can say that next summer when we plan to move after 35 years in CA, we have not been infected with their disease.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:...A friend who was running for the PVA (Property Valuation Administrator) told me it was really a "defensible value". I have no real idea what that means, except they can defend their favoritism. Anyone seeking fairness in a tax system will be frustrated.

I had a year of tax in college, the prof was a CPA, MBA, Masters of Law in Tax. He would tell us every quarter "the purpose of the IRS is to collect taxes -- they don't have to be fair or honest, and often, they don't really have to follow the law. Also, they don't have to prove their case, they merely assess the taxes and you have to prove they are wrong".

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
No, what they will do is start demanding that the politicians start cutting costs and reduce those taxes.

And Jesus is coming back too, I wonder which will happen first.

People are fleeing NY en masse, someone has to make up the tax loss, they're not going to do that by lowering taxes.

Did the NYC mayor just take a $35K salary increase?

Makes one think. . . .

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas

People are fleeing NY en masse

Really? That's news to me.

I have four acquaintances (separate households) in Westchester and Dutchess counties that pay over $90K per year in property tax.

New York had or still has a "view" tax. If your property has a view, that was an add on to your property tax and it was a considerable amount. Completely subjective and abused.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't say your concerns are unfounded. I can say that next summer when we plan to move after 35 years in CA, we have not been infected with their disease.

When you get to our side, blow the bridge! Smile

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigMaverick:
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
Take a look at the chart. If your state is below the red line, then you live in a “welfare” state... accepting more from the federal government than you put in.

I don't think that's the definition of average
The chart only depicts the per capita tax paid to the feds, it does not address the other side of the coin: the per capita payment by the government to citizens of the states. I'd be willing to bet that there is serious disparity in those numbers, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post