SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much do you tip the pizza delivery guy?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much do you tip the pizza delivery guy? Login/Join 
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Round here they have a $5 delivery surcharge and the pizza places are less than five miles away.

Right or wrong, I consider that the tip
Wrong! The delivery drivers don’t get the delivery charge at Domino’s, Papa John’s, Pizza Hut etc. Furthermore, they get paid less than minimum wage, around $4/hour when they’re on the road delivering. For a regular under $20 order assuming good service and nice weather, $3 is the average minimum with most people tipping $4-$5. Anything less than $3 is subpar.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
quote:
Round here they have a $5 delivery surcharge and the pizza places are less than five miles away.

Wrong! The delivery drivers don’t get the delivery charge at Domino’s, Papa John’s, Pizza Hut etc. Furthermore, they get paid less than minimum wage, around $4/hour when they’re on the road delivering. For a regular under $20 order assuming good service and nice weather, $3 is the average minimum with most people tipping $4-$5. Anything less than $3 is subpar.

When my ex-wife worked for Dominos in 2002 they paid $15 per hour, no delivery fee and she kept 100% of the tips. I think they even gave her like $8.00 per shift gas money too.

She made over $25 per hour always, sometimes more, just dropping off pizzas.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
$4-5, usually.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

When my ex-wife worked for Dominos in 2002 they paid $15 per hour, no delivery fee and she kept 100% of the tips. I think they even gave her like $8.00 per shift gas money too.

She made over $25 per hour always, sometimes more, just dropping off pizzas.

I’d love to know where that store is. It’s definitly not a corporate store. I’ve been in the industry since 1990 and never heard of a Domino’s or Papa Johns paying much more than minimum wage unless they happen to be in a communist enclave like Seattle with a $10-$15 minimum wage. Also because these chains pay less than minimum wage when the drivers are on the road, they claim a tip credit up to minimum wage. The delivery fees all go to pay for the sky high insurance rates the restaurants have to pay in case a driver gets into an accident and the other party tries to sue the store.

At $25/hour if she worked full time that’s $52k a year for delivering pizza. Assuming such a place existed, I’d never leave that job lol.

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Usually $5+. I have tipped as much as $20 before when I ordered a bunch of pies. I live in the city and parking for them is a pain in the butt so I try to incorporate that into the tip.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
If I am too lazy, busy, or tired to cook and resort to delivery then I give a straight $20, unless they are late and they only get $10.
I tend to be a generous tipper.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Usually about 5.00, give or take rounded up.
My son made pretty good money as a teen delivering pizza for Dominos until my ins Agent heard about it. Seems there’s no coverage for commercial delivery with Nationwide. I made him quit. Agent was forceful about him not being covered. Most people don’t even think about it and would have a surprise awaiting them if they were in an accident.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
$5 or so. We only get delivery a few times a year as most of the shops are only a few minutes away, so I usually just call it in and pick it up myself.

I used to work at a pizza place and driving was the only job that I did not want any part of.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nismo,

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
On my way home from work, I drive past one of the best pizza places in all of Houston and they don't deliver. It's a wonder I'm not 500 lbs.

If I have pizza delivered, it means either the weather is shitty, I'm injured, etc so the dude gets a $5 because I've likely eaten every morsel of food out of the pantry and I'm grateful someone brought sustenance.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wrong! The delivery drivers don’t get the delivery charge at Domino’s, Papa John’s, Pizza Hut etc....

You may as well cross Pizza the Hut off that list because they deprive their drivers of self protection. While they deserve tips, they deserve the right to life also, w/o the concern of losing their job.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I have 5 teenage sons. They love them some pizza. Our order is usually at least $50, most of the time more. I tip 20%, more if it’s raining.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Usually get a Papa John's large special (The Works) 2-3 times a month. Tax and delivery charge comes to $17.60. I always pay in cash, pay with a $20 and tell them to keep the change. If the total was less (rare but sometimes is), I'd still give a $20 and tell them to keep the change. Way I've always done it. Usually have more 20's than smaller bills, so one 20 involved seems about right for what I'm getting. I've never seen any disappointment in the delivery person.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Wrong! The delivery drivers don’t get the delivery charge at Domino’s, Papa John’s, Pizza Hut etc....

You may as well cross Pizza the Hut off that list because they deprive their drivers of self protection. While they deserve tips, they deserve the right to life also, w/o the concern of losing their job.
I hate to tell you but all the big pizza chains have policy of not allowing weapons and being fired if they find out you have one.

Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Usually get a Papa John's large special (The Works) 2-3 times a month. Tax and delivery charge comes to $17.60. I always pay in cash, pay with a $20 and tell them to keep the change. If the total was less (rare but sometimes is), I'd still give a $20 and tell them to keep the change. Way I've always done it. Usually have more 20's than smaller bills, so one 20 involved seems about right for what I'm getting. I've never seen any disappointment in the delivery person.
No offense but trust me, they may not show you the disappointment but a house that tips $2.40 isn’t considered a good tipper. $3 on an order that size is the standard to be satisfied but not excited about with most people tipping $4-$5.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Never have it delivered, I always pick up our order.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
It's not delivery, it's DiGiorno! Literally.

We're 25 miles from the nearest (alleged) pizza joint (Pizza Slut).

After cooking for a family and/or me for nearly 60 years, my wife is understandably a little tired of the process, so we have something in the "open the box and pop it in the oven" category 2-3 times a week. A DiGiorno Supreme is one of them.

Is it great pizza? Of course not. Is it easy and edible? Yup.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
No pizza delivery out where I live, but when I lived close enough to town to get it delivered, I'd always tip a couple or three bucks. That's been at least 11 years though, so now I'd probably do at least five.

Back in the day I used to deliver pizza. We had one guy that called every weekend for pizza and would ask the delivery guy to pick him up a six pack on the way. He tipped very well, like $20 plus the cost of the beer. I always tried to grab his deliveries.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
$5 minimum, up to 20% depending on the weather, delivery speed, driver attitude, my mood, etc.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Usually $5 or $6 bucks.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I always did pickup back before I learned to make my own from scratch. Now I always have home made dough in the fridge ready to go, and can whip out a great pie for less than the tip would be.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post