SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    old trees and high winds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

old trees and high winds Login/Join 
posted
Some of you remember the " how tall is this tree" thread .
this is that same tree
but after last nights 4 inches of rain and 50 m.p.h. winds

https://s15.postimg.cc/ng5pou52z/DSCN0229_1.jpg

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's scary. like kill a man scary.

i recently just moved to Tampa FL.

lots of beautiful old trees lining the streets of the South Tampa residential areas.

with heavy rainfall / high winds they make me nervous to drive under them.

--------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Should make it a heck of a lot easier to take a measurement now.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Is that your neighbor's tree you were hoping she would cut down? Did it hit her house? It looks like it is laying up against a home.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of them that went down about 2 weeks ago. Been working on one of them. Sucker measure about 80 inches around at the root ball. Other one is somewhat smaller, but is hung up on other trees. Which always makes for "interesting" efforts to get it down on the ground where I can turn it into firewood.

Root ball of the big oak is about 12 feet high and left a hole about 12-14 feet across but only about 3 feet deep. Hoping that root ball will fall back into the hole when I finally get all that trunk cut away.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Is that your neighbor's tree you were hoping she would cut down? Did it hit her house? It looks like it is laying up against a home.

neighbor, kitty corner, not next door ( fannies)

thats only one of the 45ft.-40 ft. limbs

limb went through the roof of the garage,

they had some local guy w/ a bucket truck come and clean off a dozen limbs, last summer,
had they spent the extra for an arborist,
he would have taken that diseased limb as well

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I had 3 big fuckers. 2 were on their way out and the end of their lives so I took them out. The third was a Magnolia and it was huge. In Texas we can get pretty strong and violent storms in the Spring. Seeing what that Magnolia could do to the house I killed it too. When it was time to replant I did the right thing and planted shade trees (Pistachios) that will never get taller than the house. I’ve got neighbors with massive trees that will one day end up going through their roofs. My take is the shading of your home a massive tree provides is not worth the risk in the case of high winds and bad storms. Neighbor across the street has an oak that I’ve seen rock side to side in one of our storms, and the trunk is massive. It’s a huge tree that I almost couldn’t believe seeing go left and right.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
That's the one thing about a hurricane, every so many years the bad, diseased, old, broken trees get taken out, hauled off and we start over...

If those trees are still there in south tampa
they've survived quite a bit already...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Well...

How tall was it? Big Grin

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We just had a huge Palo Verde tree in the front yard blow over. I was on the front porch, went inside for an hour and when I came back out it was down. I suspect a dust devil vortex took it down, as it was not otherwise a very windy day and it had not rained in quite a while. The crown was about 50 ft. across. It broke off right at the root system, but there were not a lot of roots, either attached to the tree or in the ground. Wife wanted to keep the main trunk and big branches intact as a "monument", so the trimmers left us that. The trimmers cut off the trunk square right at the bottom, and it exposed a hole in the trunk. The base of the trunk was about 2 ft in diameter.

Later, when I was moving the "monument" into place with my tractor, it rolled over and split in half, revealing a large cavity. Since the roots were basically history, it seems to be the work of the Palo Verde beetle. The adult looks like huge cockroach, but with wings. The grubs are laid near the base of the tree so they can feed on the roots. We saw some grubs when we cleared it, and shortly thereafter we were inundated with adult beetles coming from that area. The Curved Billed Thrashers made short work of them, pecking at them for 10-15 minutes until they were dead, then hauled them off for dinner.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I had one. You could see the splitting happening. I am very nostalgic, hatred to cut the big old tree down that had seen children on a tire swing and such in is life. But it had to go. It made the yard look bigger and gave Sun to the rest of the yard.
Just as all life. There's a beginning and an end :/

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

when they got the giant limb removed