SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to look at a boat Friday.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to look at a boat Friday. Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I’m going to look at a very clean Bayliner bowrider on Friday. The boat has apparently had a lot of work done to it and from the pics I’ve seen it looks clean. I normally wouldn’t consider such a boat but some friends of ours have taken us out a few times on their Bayliner and we’ve had a blast. Their boat has actually withstood a good deal of neglect as well as noob mistakes like pulling out of the lake with the engine trimmed down. Eek They haven’t been able to break theirs in the three years they’ve had it.

This is the 22ft bowrider I’m considering.

The boat apparently has a new floor, interior, water pump, stainless prop, and top. I am not sure if the total hours yet. It has a 5.0L merceuiser alpha one with a new stainless exhaust.

My main concern is that it doesn’t come with a trailer. I’m thinking I should be able to find a used trailer for $900-1500.

Are Bayliners terrible boats? The price is QUITE tempting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bayliners are built to a price. simple enough. I'd never go anywhere offshore with one, but lake etc. not something that would worry me, especially if I own it and can provision adequate emergency supplies. Used trailer should be nothing problematic to find, but pricing can be a bit regional. The Merc is pretty solid especially if its life has been in fresh water, but in the end your risk is a new rebuilt one and that's 12-15K. Way less than if it had an outboard. New floor is not a very clean boat for the record, its one with a history that merits investigation. Not good or bad, just investigation.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Break Out Another Thousand...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are Bayliners terrible boats?

Yes, but my family had one when I was a kid, we never had any major problems even though we were told it'd fall to pieces.

Had a 21' just like that IIRC it got up to 53 mph, 55-56 on smooth water with tabs all the way up. More than enough power to pull skiers and tubers.

Man I miss my early teens spent on that Bayliner. Almost every weekend in the summer at the lake and occasionally a one or two week trip to Smith Mountain Lake. Some of my favorite times as a teen.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2 happiest days as a boat owner was when I first bought it, and the day I sold it. I will NEVER own any boat ever again! Nothing but a constant money pit and time drain. When you have a boat, everyone is your friend, but no one helps out cleaning, flushing or offers gas money. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but that was my boat experience.....

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Rent don’t own. No matter how much it costs, it’s cheaper than owning.
There are all sorts of hidden costs to own a boat that new owners overlook.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of siggers
posted Hide Post
I feel the same as Cousin Vinnie. I had a brand new super pro air nautique for 8 years. It was a blast but, something was always breaking. Sold it in 2010 and I felt major relief as I watched the guy who bought it, drive off into the sunset.

"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless"

Posts: 690 | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Storage wouldn’t be a problem. I have a huge driveway and it should fit in my garage (I need to check that).

Is a new engine really $12k ?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
As long as you have the money and don’t mind spending it, and the time involved.

If you are in a tight budget, or resent spending, the fun evaporates in a hurry.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I was thinking worst case scenario if the engine went out in 2-3 years it would be about $6k. Are mercruiser 5.0l engines that expensive to replace?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
The reason the price is "tempting" is because it's a Bayliner.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Are girls in bikini's going to be ridding up front ? if yes then buy it. it's a pretty boat.

I would check the transom for any kind of rot they usually line that area with plywood for strength then glass over it, if water penetrated that area it might look good from the outside but could be an issue.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Party pooper.

Ok. I always cheer on people who want to buy boats because I love boats and boating. Buuuttt, I don't have one... Now where is that hole in the water...

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Rules of boat buying,

Don't buy the first boat you look at,

Don't buy a Bayliner.

You'll thank me later.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Party pooper.

Ok. I always cheer on people who want to buy boats because I love boats and boating. Buuuttt, I don't have one... Now where is that hole in the water...

I spent all my money on fast cars, fast motorcycles, fast women and fast lawyers.

Weren't nuthin' left for no damn boat...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
they aren’t called Bayliner for no reason....they have a horrible reputation. And yes, a new motor will go over 10k....anything on a boat is more expensive because it’s on a boat. My buddy is replacing a motor in his (not a Bayliner) and it’s running him 16k for a rebuilt.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bayliners are average quality boats but would be ok if you use them for average wave heights etc. They're not going to fall apart or anything......and the price cutting corners bayliner used in the build have already been fixed (floor, seating, etc.)

Check lower unit oil for water in it. Just back the drain screw out and let a few drops of oil drip out, it should be oil colored and clear.....no water, no white milkshake color, dark color indicates it's been a long time since it's been changed. Do a compression test on the motor. Exhaust manifolds are supposed to be changed every 5-7 years in saltwater as when they go bad they leak water into the engine cylinders. A compression test will show if this has happened before the manifolds were changed. If you want to go further, pull an oil sample and send it out. A CAT dealer, you can buy a bottle, shipping label and the service for like $35 and have the analysis in 2-3 days usually. Check when the raw water pump impellor in the lower unit was changed, you want to do this every 2 years or 200 hours. Check bilge pumps. I would highly recommend paying a good marine shop a few hundred to thoroughly inspect the boat before you buy it.

If you buy a used trailer, get a double axle,it is MUCH safer. Immediately do the wheel bearings and seals in it. You should be able to get one in that size and length in aluminum for your price range.

You didn't say what your price is, but personally I'd rather have a boat with a 4 stroke outboard in that size/type. I/O's are a royal pain in the rear to work on the engine usually due to them being buried half under the floor.

Gcode- your buddy is getting taken for a royal ride. A new 5.0 liter marine engine is around $5k, $8k full dressed with all new accessories, exhaust manifolds or less.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaiseHal:
Rules of boat buying,

Don't buy the first boat you look at,

Don't buy a Bayliner.

Good advice in general.
Bayliner boats are cheap for a reason, even new ones, compared to many other brands.

Used boats can represent a good value, if you know what you're doing and what to look for.

The wrong used boat can end up being a nightmare, causing you to dump money into it you'll never get back.

Do your research, spend some time looking at boats and pretty soon you'll start understanding why Bayliner boats are considered a joke by most serious boaters.

The boat you're considering has had the floor and interior replaced?
Personally, I wouldn't even consider it.
The floor was probably rotten.
if the floor was rotten, the stringers might be, too. Yikes.

Run away.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Rule 1: aluminum
Rule 2: outboard

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
If you're new to boating and operate in unfamiliar water. You may consider running an aluminum propeller. They can save your lower unit if you run aground.

Better to sacrifice a $160 aluminum prop than trash the outdrive by running that stainless and transmitting a hit through the gearing.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post