SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hardware/fastener experts what am I looking for and where do I find it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardware/fastener experts what am I looking for and where do I find it? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Best guess is it is some sort of male/female stud I guess but am afraid to google that.
I need something like what is pictured below the only difference is instead of the long portion being externally threaded to accept a nut it is a sleeve that is internally threaded to accept a bolt.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Can't say I have ever seen such a fastener. What will it be used for?

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First thing that came to mind was a shock extender (for automotive shocks that are too short):

Is that kinda what you're looking for?

- Brian

--------------------
||| P226R (.40) ||| P6 ||| P320 X5 ||| SP2022 (.40) |||

Posts: 411 | Location: Northeast Florida | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Those look a lot like the exhaust manifold bolts for my truck (Titan).
Don't know what they are called or where to get though.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by orionS14:
First thing that came to mind was a shock extender (for automotive shocks that are too short):

- Brian

I've seen something like this on kits used to tighten up a fence gate. You attach a bar to the top right corner and bottom left corner and that device pictured spins in the middle of the two bars to tighten or loosen (and thus bring the gate back into square - stop the sagging of the outer corner...)

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Also, just thought: you could buy something close to what you need and then drill and tap the part that you want as a sleeve...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob ramberg:
Can't say I have ever seen such a fastener. What will it be used for?

Will be used for mounting a support plate under my dash and connecting a mount system to the top of the dash. The current install hardware requires the entire stereo, and HVAC controls to be disassembled for install. If I want to adjust my mounts on the top of the dash I have to take it all apart.
If I attach the plate underneath using what I am looking for I can remove the mount on top of the dash and the plate under the dash will just stay put giving me no reason to remove the dash after the initial install.
And I am sure that makes almost no sense.

quote:
Originally posted by orionS14:

- Brian

Essentially what I am looking for.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Those look a lot like the exhaust manifold bolts for my truck (Titan).
Don't know what they are called or where to get though.
Good Luck.

What I pictured are exhaust manifold studs and the closest thing I could come up with that I actually knew the name of.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
www.copperstate.com

will know,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
No expert but those studs are called double ended studs.

https://www.mscdirect.com/indu...ds-double-ended.html

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best guess is it is some sort of male/female stud

Here's what you'd get.... LOL

Male Female Standoff Studs are an apt description..

Link

Posts: 23395 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:

Given the application, hex standoffs are probably the best bet. That's exactly what they're for.

They're the standard for mounting small things like circuit boards that need to be mounted securely on, but not touching, something. You stick the threaded ends through whatever you're mounting the board to and secure them with nuts, then you have a bunch of elevated threaded holes to screw the circuit board to.

In a car, I'd make sure to use some blue Loctite on both fastener ends. The vibration in a car sometimes shakes loose even properly torqued fasteners.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check Fastenal’s catalog.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Search for "All Thread Anchor Lags".
https://www.google.com/search?...rome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Sammys come in self drilling metal, wood lag, concrete anchor, metal rivet, etc.
For use with 1/4 or 3/8 inch all thread.

How many do you need?

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hardway
posted Hide Post
Google
Furniture joint connector
and/or
Barrel nut.
OR
McMaster Carr
Binding barrel
Probably not exactly what you seek but might be adaptable.

Posts: 952 | Location: Ft Worth,TX | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
barrel nuts are basically screw-posts that we use for binding very thick drawing sets. don't know that they make beefy ones to hold whatever it is you want to mount.

https://www.grainger.com/produ...2295:4P7A1P:20501231

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
As always you all have knocked it out of the park. I have a number of options to choose from. Though I think I may have been over thinking/engineering it. I don’t have parts in hand just the pictures from the site and people complaining you have to take apart the dash to make adjustments.
I was thinking the studs coming from under the dash would have to be completely rigid on their own without the above dash portion attached.
But really this will not be the case as I really just need the studs to stay in their place and not fall when the top portion is removed to adjust the mounts.
I should be able to have the bolts come from the bottom.

From the bottom assembly will go: bolt, flat washer, under dash stiffening plate, OEM dash, then on the top of the dash utilize a clip washer, flat washer, above the dash mount, and a nylock nut.

This is what I mean by a clip washer

I should be able to remove the nylock nut and the above dash mounting bracket and my bolts coming from under the dash should stay put thanks to the clip washers.
I can then adjust my mounts and reattach the top bracket.

You all are probably lost as I don’t have any pictures at the moment as I don’t have the parts in hand just trying to figure out what I need before it arrives. I got my tracking number for the brackets today so I’ll post some pics of the install. If my new plan for the clip washer uses doesn’t work I have some backup options thanks to you all.

This is the mount and it is supposed to be very difficult to get your hand under from the side to adjust the mounting points once the top bracket is mounted to the dash stiffening plate that is under the dash.
While the plan is not to have to adjust them new equipment or issues out on the trail I don’t want to have to rip apart the dash to make changes.
My current plan is to have a mount for my navigation tablet and a mount for a couple of goPros.
One forward facing and one cab facing.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
If all else fails try Boltdepot .com Located in Weymouth M.A. Good luck to you from a fellow over engineer!!

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Do you have a Fastenal store nearby? Perhaps take your original pic and description over there and talk to the counter staff?

My local Fastenal guy is a hardware genius of some sort. I can show him a pic of some odd fastener or gadget, and within a couple of hours he's got stock numbers for me.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post