SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendation for wrenches
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for wrenches Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the offers for the freebies guys, but I can't take your tools.

I'll look at eBay and start shopping around garage/estate sales.

I'm sure the Chinese crap would work OK for my amateur work that I do, but it just rubs my fur the wrong way.

Wouldn't it be great to get some factories fired up again and start pouring American steel with American workers again?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I'm sure the Chinese crap would work OK for my amateur work that I do, but it just rubs my fur the wrong way.

Wouldn't it be great to get some factories fired up again and start pouring American steel with American workers again?

With Trump as president you may get your wish. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

With Trump as president you may get your wish. Smile

Jim

Your lips to God's ears, my friend. Wink

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:

New Craftsman Tool Factory in Texas
Stanley Black & Decker will expand its U.S. manufacturing footprint with a new Craftsman manufacturing plant at AllianceTexas in Fort Worth. The groundbreaking for the 425,000-square-foot facility will take place this summer, and the plant is expected to be completed in late 2020.
The new plant will manufacture a range of Craftsman mechanics tools, including sockets, ratchets, wrenches and general sets.
The manufacturing plant will be located east of I-35W at Eagle Parkway and North Beach Street. The plant will employ approximately 500 full-time employees.
Stanley Black & Decker purchased Craftsman in 2017 and the following year, Craftsman launched a refreshed brand identity in August 2018, unveiling more than 1,200 new products. The brand is now on pace for an accelerated growth trajectory to reach $1 billion in incremental revenues by 2021.
“We are very pleased to have worked with Stanley Black & Decker on this expansion project,” said Robert Sturns, Fort Worth director of economic development. “The Stanley Black & Decker name is known across the nation for their craftsmanship and expertise in developing quality tools. This expansion increases their North American footprint, and they join the ranks of other high-profile manufacturers that have a strong presence in Fort Worth.”
Stanley Black & Decker currently operates approximately 30 manufacturing facilities in the United States, with more than 100 manufacturing facilities globally.
“The addition of Stanley Black & Decker’s manufacturing operations at AllianceTexas reinforces the importance of retaining and creating new job opportunities in the United States,” said Ross Perot Jr., chairman of The Perot Group and Hillwood, developer of AllianceTexas. “The state-of-the-art manufacturing facility at AllianceTexas will help generate hundreds of jobs in Fort Worth and North Texas, which will have a lasting impact on the region.”

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A quick look at eBay shows many offers of USA Craftsman wrenches in metric and SAE in good condition for reasonable amounts. But I look forward to buying newly made American-made Craftsman tools.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

You can replace the same wrenches; try ebay.

Snap-on are good. Mac are chinese. Snap-on hand tools are made in the US. Some air tools, compressors, welding helmets, and other products sold under the snap-on brand are made in China, and elsewhere.

Williams tools are made in the US, identical to snapon, and also sold under snap-on. They're often about half the price, too.

Gearwrench products are good.

Stanley Black and Decker bought craftsman.

Actually Mac wrenches are still made in Dallas Texas along with Proto.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Proto, SK, Wright, and Williams

These are much nicer wrenches than Craftsman. Craftsman have many numerous sharp edges that abrade the hand. Also Craftsman are hard to clean because of all the nooks and crannies. As a teenager I thought Craftsman was super, but once working as a mechanic I realized they were bottom of the barrel for USA made wrenches.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Check out this review of Wright wrenches:

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Snap-On
Matco
Cornwell

Those are my go to brands for wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers. Buy once, cry once.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Snap-On
Matco
Cornwell

Those are my go to brands for wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers. Buy once, cry once.

Mac tools are much weaker than Snap-on. As an example, the open end wrenches will simply not remove a very tight nut. In a tight spot, Craftsman are too thick. However Snap-On will remove an extremely tight nut using the open end of a wrench.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go buy replacements ASAP and sure as shit the originals will show up. Smile

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
The tool nerd websites tend to like GearWrench for moderately-priced (still not cheap!) import wrenches.

Proto, SK, Wright, and Williams usually come up as good Made in USA wrenches.

I have a mix of cheap Craftsman, Kobalt, and Husky and they've all been fine. A combination wrench is not complicated.

I would be inclined to be more careful about selecting a quality product if I was buying ratcheting combination wrenches, which have small moving parts under stress.

I have a bunch of old USA craftsman, but I have locked onto Proto for my long-term fill in the blanks project. You can't beat the quality, 100 pct USA made. And as good as quality as the pro truck brands at one third the price.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
It can be hit or miss, but flea markets can have genuine Craftsman, S-K, and other American made tools.
I applaud you for keeping your set of tools at a good quality level.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Have you looked under the last car you worked on?

If not, pull it into the garage, drop a 10mm 3/8" drive socket under the car and wait 20 minutes.

I've had wrenches missing for years reappear using this one weird trick.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up mjlennon. Just put in a bid.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Have you looked under the last car you worked on?

If not, pull it into the garage, drop a 10mm 3/8" drive socket under the car and wait 20 minutes.

I've had wrenches missing for years reappear using this one weird trick.

Similar to the way we find the TV remote. Just look under the dog.

The best way to find an old wrench is to buy a new one. The old one will show up shortly thereafter.

Shadow the tool box. Line it with foam and cut out the shape of the tool, and ensure that each time the tool is used it gets returned to that spot, and it makes retaining tools much easier. It's especially important where a lost or missing tool presents a serious threat.

Shadow foam for tool boxes or drawers, the good two color kind, can runs several hundred dollars. However, the rubber shop floormats from harbor freight that interlink, can be turned over, cut to the shape of a drawer and tools traced with a ball point pen. They cut with a sharp life and will last a long time, and work perfectly. If you want a different color beneath the tool, line the bottom of the tool drawer with colored craft foam from walmart, and for a few bucks, you can do an entire box.

FastCap Kaizen foam is also very inexpensive, easy to cut, and can be had in two colors to make missing tools stand out, and/or enable labeling.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just put in a bid.

I may outbid you and then send them to you. Just as payback for not taking up your virtual buddy above and the offer of a replacement out of his stash! Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Just put in a bid.

I may outbid you and then send them to you. Just as payback for not taking up your virtual buddy above and the offer of a replacement out of his stash! Razz

Big Grin

I learned how to win eBay auctions years ago. Wink

It's funny though, I think back to when I was a kid using dad's tools. My brothers and I never really understood why he'd get so pissed off and smack us around when his tools weren't where they were supposed to be. Now we get it.

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
if you just have 2 wrenches to replace and if you have the time, stop at a pawn shop. Make sure you know what the price should be and be ready to dicker - I've found pawn shops often as crazy dollars but might back off if you make a reasonable offer.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post