SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendation for wrenches
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for wrenches Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I've torn my house, my shed, and my shop apart and cannot find my 1/4" or 3/8" wrenches. This is an old set of real Craftsman (30+ years old now), and it really ticks me off that my "vintage" set is now incomplete. Entirely my fault as nobody uses my tools but me, but still...I'm ticked at myself.

Went online to replace them and found the only Craftsman now made are cheap Chinese junk that I like to avoid like the plague.

Are there any real American made wrenches that are good quality anymore?

Posts: 20065 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
S&K. But you’ll pay for them.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
If you do ebay you should be able to find the wrenches you are missing.

Posts: 18028 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If you are going after a set, check to see if the 1/4 and 3/8 wrenches can be found on eBay, etc...

If you are going for broke, Snap-on will get you there. Wink

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
If you are going for broke, Snap-on will get you there. Wink

Google says Snap-ons are Chinese now.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Best way to find them is to order a new set..
Depends on their use. If you don.t earn a living with them, Husky Pro might be an option.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Ive had good luck with Wright in the shop.

https://www.harryepstein.com/i...?q=wright+wrench+set

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikus36:
Best way to find them is to order a new set..

Big Grin

Ain't that the truth.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Google says Snap-ons are Chinese now.

Some are, but not wrenches. They have a factory making them right here in Elizabethton, TN.

Posts: 27918 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Gustofer, try eBay. I recently looked there for a missing older Craftsman item and had good luck finding what I was looking for.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A very common problem. I bought a complete set of Husky wrenches on sale at HD; I believe they are made in Taiwan but not sure.
Now that I am going through box after box of stored stuff from several moves, I found my old complete set of Made in USA Craftsman combination wrenches, and they are replacing the Huskies in pride of place in the tool box.

However: it was recently announced that Craftsman (whoever owns it) is going to be making some tools in the US, and is building a plant for doing that. Sometimes it’s the little things that make me glad Donald Trump is our President.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pawn shops always had tools by the piece or by the set.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The tool nerd websites tend to like GearWrench for moderately-priced (still not cheap!) import wrenches.

Proto, SK, Wright, and Williams usually come up as good Made in USA wrenches.

I have a mix of cheap Craftsman, Kobalt, and Husky and they've all been fine. A combination wrench is not complicated.

I would be inclined to be more careful about selecting a quality product if I was buying ratcheting combination wrenches, which have small moving parts under stress.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Chinese Craftsman is why I really don't want my USA made Craftsman to break. I don't want it replaced by something made in China.

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Pawn shops always had tools by the piece or by the set.

^^^This

I find Craftsman tools in loose tool bins at pawn shops all the time. As others pointed out, they are easily had on ebay too.

I might have some extra 1/4" and 3/8" made-in-USA Craftsman combo wrenches. Are yours the basic raised rectangle panel model?

Posts: 3183 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Was already posted about American made Craftsman tools in Fort Worth in 2020. All manner of quality American brands posted here. You can find loads of American made Craftsman wrenches if you got a Flea Market near you. Even many which are still new marked USA.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've torn my house, my shed, and my shop apart and cannot find my 1/4" or 3/8" wrenches. This is an old set of real Craftsman (30+ years old now), and it really ticks me off that my "vintage" set is now incomplete. Entirely my fault as nobody uses my tools but me, but still...I'm ticked at myself.

Went online to replace them and found the only Craftsman now made are cheap Chinese junk that I like to avoid like the plague.

Are there any real American made wrenches that are good quality anymore?

You can replace the same wrenches; try ebay.

Snap-on are good. Mac are chinese. Snap-on hand tools are made in the US. Some air tools, compressors, welding helmets, and other products sold under the snap-on brand are made in China, and elsewhere.

Williams tools are made in the US, identical to snapon, and also sold under snap-on. They're often about half the price, too.

Gearwrench products are good.

Stanley Black and Decker bought craftsman.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I go to estate sales and head for the garage or the basement shop. At least once a month I see plenty of quality old tools from the 50s/60s. The really good made in USA steel Craftsman stuff. And you can get wrenches for a buck or two each, that will outperform anything you can buy today. Or complete sets for 20-30 bucks. Dirt cheap. I like them so much I keep buying them and give them to friends, as I have about 3 of everything already. Go to estate sales in old established neighborhoods. You'll find a lot of nice stuff made in the USA.

Posts: 3250 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Check out Harry J. Epstein American Made Tools. You'll find several American made brands there, but not all are great. I personally like SK and Wright.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If it is not from Kenosha, Wisconsin, it is not a Snap-on.

If it is not made in the U.S of A., it is not a Craftsman.

Guess I'm getting old.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post