New
Find
Notify
Tools

iTunes Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
With the latest download it seem I can't access my music. The complete catalog has been wiped. Seriously I'm done with iTunes. What else is out there. I'm about ready to find an old Walkman and go back to cassette tapes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goose5,

Posts: 7518 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that you are having trouble. User from day one here with no issues.

Just curious, Mac or PC.
Historically the PC version seemed to suck. I'm all Mac myself.

So that leaves only 799,999,999 of us left using it? (sources report 800 million users)

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
PC. The conspiratorial part of me is thinking would Apple purposefully screw with a certain percentage of owners this time of year to try and get them to buy a new one. This time last year I had a similar problem right after an update.

Posts: 7518 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
You have no backup? Backup, backup, backup!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8925 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't use iTunes at all and likely never will.

If you're talking other solutions: I don't think there's much out there. Apple makes it really, really hard to share music between iThings or between iThings and the rest of the world, with anything but their native stuff, which all relies on iTunes.

In my case: Since I have no iWhatever or MS-Win computers: I simply have no way to get music into iTunes in the first place.

For the new Jeep I've chosen to simply rip my CDs into MP3s, and otherwise buy any single tracks I want from AP, put it all on an SD card and plug it into the system. On my phone/table I simply don't listen to music enough to bother.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Did it wipe out your music folder, or just can't find it but it is still there?

Have had iTunes since before iPads and iPhones. Used it for copying CD's and eventually loading iPods. Now I have the phones and pads and all I use to update them is iTunes. Am no apple fanboy, but have had zero issues with the old clunky iTunes with any iTunes/iPhone/iPad updates. I do keep a backup iTunes music folder, and back up the phone and pad before updating.

As far as media players I tried VLC, but took it off. Was highly recommended - maybe I didn't give it enough time.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
No it wiped the library. I found the problem hopefully. I had to go into the devices part on the computer and tell it to sync again which it is doing. I swear I try to avoid doing the updates because you never know what kind of crap sandwich they are going to pitch to you. I have back up. 99.5% of my music comes from CD's. I sync this iPod daily for podcasts. They pester you relentlessly to update. Its as annoying as maleware. My wife has the big one, and never has any problem with it, but of course they stopped making that one.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Do some research on media servers/players > no one serious uses EyeToons.
And they can be for any platform > MS, Linux, Apple.
DLNA server and my preferred format is FLAC and certainly not MP3.
YMMV

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’m certainly not the most experienced or prolific user, but my impression of iTunes is that it is exceeded in its uselessness only by its complexity. Or maybe vice versa.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Works for me no problems, as many years as it has been out. It seems it is simply pointing to the wrong folder containing your music library. All your data is there, it is just not bring pointed to correctly.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Hate the itunes system as well...Had nothing but issues with the 3 I have had over the years.

Gave up on the last one several years ago. Especially tough when there are ZERO Apple stores in the State.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've moved from hosting my own music to streaming from various sources. iTunes was instrumental in me making that move. It has moved from what I thought to be a very good user interface to a "WTF is going on" user interface. I think my wife still uses it to backup her phone and tablet?

As far as help with your missing music issue, look to see if your music folder still exists. I seriously doubt that an upgrade would zap it.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use it for backing up and upgrading my iPhone. My music library lives on an external HDD that is always connected (via thunderbolt), so upgrading my Mac's OS is never a problem, just point the new iTunes to the library. I've used it without issue for as long as I've owned any iDevice. It is handy to make mp3 CD's for my truck, where you can get something like 70 songs on a CD.

For a (very) limited time, I used it on Windows.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post