SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some pics from Terlingua, TX and Monument Valley AZ/UT
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some pics from Terlingua, TX and Monument Valley AZ/UT Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Well, the "vacation" part of my road trip is over. Spent a week down in Alpine Texas looking over the Terlingua Ranch area for a potential retirement property. Then three days ago I drove out to Monument Valley and spent a whole day there. Camped out, which was nice. Now I'm in Astoria, and will try some of the dining recommendations you guys gave me.

First, a video (hopefully) from a drone flight over the Solitario....

https://www.facebook.com/allentc2/videos/10213576637679077/

Agua Fria area of Terlingua

Blissful longhorn Ben gets his butt scratched.

Oh, that is John Wells' SECOND pet longhorn. That guy is a trip. Check out his blog. He's been living down there mostly off-the-grid since 2008. He had a video go viral recently when he put his GoPro into a water bucket.
The Field Lab
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/jgizmo

County Courthouse in Marfa

Morning in Terlingua

The aptly named Solitario

Arrival in Monument Valley

The campground at the Navajo Visitor Center. Kinda haphazard, but overall, not bad. Tons of Europeans were there!

First attempts at nightscape photography. Had a waxing gibbous moon, so not quite what I was hoping to achieve.

"Standard" shot of Monument Valley

I got up waaaaaay early the next morning. I had planned on leaving by 7, but for some reason, I woke up at 3. It was fortuitous. The moon had set. While I still have some learning to do, the pics I took that morning are a lot more like what I want to do....

Again, thanks for the tips!! I still have a lot to learn, but I'm grasping the basics!

Oh, and sorry about the huge pics!!!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16172 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
very cool!! i've always wanted to get out west and see the landscape....your pics are awesome

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
The last pic is awesome. I used to fly air tours over that area. Always enjoyed the sites.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10894 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
"... they buried those fellas out in the desert passed Terilingua. Still got the shovel".

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
Monument Valley is a magical place.

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
great photos

I was up in Flagstaff and Winslow over the weekend - pretty hazy due to a rather large wild fire

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53073 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Thansk for posting...reminds me of a nice camping trip I had that included Monument Valley back in 1991..

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Standard" shot of Monument Valley

It's easy to picture Clark Griswald wandering aimlessly among those monoliths. Wink

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoKer86
posted Hide Post
I was just down in Terlingua. Awesome place! I got some great drone footage as well.

www.sanderstactical.com

Posts: 770 | Location: Gallatin, TN | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
MV looked like a fun time! Thanks for the imagery

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
What an awesome trip. Thanks for posting those photos. I hope I can see that some day. Smile

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does TFL get his interweb connection out there?

Posts: 1801 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
DSL from what I understand. Apparently they phone company ran all sorts of buried line out there.

Thanks for the props. I still have a lot to learn. And I may need a new lens. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16172 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
The aptly named Solitario

Beautiful pics! Is that the Rio Grande running thru there?

Here are a few from Memorial Day Weekend. Mammoth Upper Terrace Yellowstone, Lamar Valley Yellowstone, and SE Montana two-lane.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pics. Was in Arizona for a week 2 weeks ago.
My wife wanted to visit Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon, but did not make it.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post