SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    **Update #2 page 3..Got another one**Picked up a Nissan Xterra...anything I need to look out for?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**Update #2 page 3..Got another one**Picked up a Nissan Xterra...anything I need to look out for? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
So how do you prevent this?

Wife has an 05 Xterra and I have a Titan?

How many miles on her xterra? The Nissan mechanic I went to said the highest miled xterr her ever saw without fluid mixing was 147k miles. He’s never seen one above that on an original radiator without some mixing.

Xterra only has 77K miles
Is this a common Nissan problem?
My Titan has 70K miles.

So I guess a "bypass" or external cooler or something?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Pink Milkshake problems are something to watch for in used 4runners, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
So how do you prevent this?

Wife has an 05 Xterra and I have a Titan?

How many miles on her xterra? The Nissan mechanic I went to said the highest miled xterr her ever saw without fluid mixing was 147k miles. He’s never seen one above that on an original radiator without some mixing.

Xterra only has 77K miles
Is this a common Nissan problem?
My Titan has 70K miles.

So I guess a "bypass" or external cooler or something?

Yes there was a class action lawsuit that Nissan lost and had to offer extended warranties to new xterras but yours being an 05 should be out of date for the extended warranty. The mixing issues usually starts after 90k miles. If I were you I would change the radiator ASAP. If mixing already occurre expect to pay $4k for a new tranny. Only automatics are affected.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If it feels like a slightly washboarded road during shifts when the road is smooth, the pink shake is/has started.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
**UPDATE**

Well the pink milkshake of death has struck. Thankfully the car had a 30 day warranty from the dealer. I took it to a Nissan specific mechanic and he think the coolant issue started about 10k miles ago by how the fluid looked. Replacing the tranny and radiator will cost about $4k. I’m not one to do it myself. The mechanic was amazed how well it ran with the tranny issues. So my options are to return the car and get my money back or take another xterra. They have an 05 S model in manual (so no tranny concerns) that was priced higher but they will give it to me for the same price. The only issue is that it has higher (miles 201k on the clock.) I like that it’s a manual. It’s actually in better shape (interior and exterior) then the one I bought. I plan on taking it to that same mechanic on Friday to have them look at it before I make a decision. Since I have 2 other vehicles I figure I will put 5k miles or less on it a year. So the question is how will long can I expect it to last past 201k. I will say that after having one for a few days I really like the xterra. The other option is to drop $12-15k and get a newer one with lower miles. Manuals are hard to find though.

I experienced the same thing last year with my GFs 2006 Pathfinder. We shelled out $4K to get it fixed, it is a known problem to Nissan but they refuse to step to the plate. Our transmission guy kept the housing cleaned the housing thoroughly and replaced the gears. We replaced the radiator a couple of months before hoping to avoid the transmission problem but we were too late.

My GF bought this truck new, I know I'll never buy a Nissan new or used.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Pink Milkshake problems are something to watch for in used 4runners, too.

Yup

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes there was a class action lawsuit that Nissan lost and had to offer extended warranties to new xterras but yours being an 05 should be out of date for the extended warranty.
The mixing issues usually starts after 90k miles.
If I were you I would change the radiator ASAP.
If mixing already occurred expect to pay $4k for a new tranny.
Only automatics are affected.

Just the radiator or just bypass or both?
I guess you can check to see if there is a problem now some way (other than a catastrophic failure)?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes there was a class action lawsuit that Nissan lost and had to offer extended warranties to new xterras but yours being an 05 should be out of date for the extended warranty.
The mixing issues usually starts after 90k miles.
If I were you I would change the radiator ASAP.
If mixing already occurred expect to pay $4k for a new tranny.
Only automatics are affected.

I guess you can check to see if there is a problem now some way (other than a catastrophic failure)?

Checking the fluid is the only way to know. Mine drove perfectly. Transmission shifts smoothly. A new radiator should be enough. Some of the aftermarket ones last forever with no issues.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:
**UPDATE**

Well the pink milkshake of death has struck. Thankfully the car had a 30 day warranty from the dealer. I took it to a Nissan specific mechanic and he think the coolant issue started about 10k miles ago by how the fluid looked. Replacing the tranny and radiator will cost about $4k. I’m not one to do it myself. The mechanic was amazed how well it ran with the tranny issues. So my options are to return the car and get my money back or take another xterra. They have an 05 S model in manual (so no tranny concerns) that was priced higher but they will give it to me for the same price. The only issue is that it has higher (miles 201k on the clock.) I like that it’s a manual. It’s actually in better shape (interior and exterior) then the one I bought. I plan on taking it to that same mechanic on Friday to have them look at it before I make a decision. Since I have 2 other vehicles I figure I will put 5k miles or less on it a year. So the question is how will long can I expect it to last past 201k. I will say that after having one for a few days I really like the xterra. The other option is to drop $12-15k and get a newer one with lower miles. Manuals are hard to find though.

I experienced the same thing last year with my GFs 2006 Pathfinder. We shelled out $4K to get it fixed, it is a known problem to Nissan but they refuse to step to the plate. Our transmission guy kept the housing cleaned the housing thoroughly and replaced the gears. We replaced the radiator a couple of months before hoping to avoid the transmission problem but we were too late.

Nissan did step up to the plate. They gave everyone a longer warranty for it to have it done. You could have had everything replaced before 80k miles. My buddy did it with his and it's still going strong.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
quote:
**UPDATE**

Nissan did step up to the plate. They gave everyone a longer warranty for it to have it done. You could have had everything replaced before 80k miles. My buddy did it with his and it's still going strong.

Ours didn't crap out until well over 100k and AFAIK their "extended" warranty expired at 80k or 90k.

I think they should be fixing all of them and they aren't, as a result in my book they dropped the ball, end of story.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
quote:
**UPDATE**

They did no such thing. Stepping up to the plate is issuing a recall not extending a warranty to 100k miles when 90% of the failures occurred after 110k miles. Nissan fucked all 2005-2010 Xterra, Pathfinder, and Frotier customers in the ass on this one. When the warranty period was in effect the customer still had to pay between $2500-3000 to fix the the tranny. Nissan only covered a portion. Also they only replaced the radiator if it failed but by then the tranny would have been affected and would also need to be replaced costing the customer at least $2500.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
From what I've just read this is not unique to Nissan.
I've found the Mercedes is actually more predominant and plenty of others including, some from Toyota, Volvo, Honda and some GM mostly trucks.
Not every company handled it gracefully as well.

posted Hide Post
I’d get my money back and look for the right deal came along. 200k miles on an suv is a lot.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a 1st gen Titan which had a transmission hose failed on me on the highway. I originally thought it was the radiator and transmission cooling coils in the radiator have failed and intermixed since I got very little radiator fluid when I drained it and some oily sheen floating on top. My internet search revealed the Titans were prone to the rad and trans mixing. Even thought my radiator was OK. I ended up replacing the 12 yrs old radiator, by-pass the radiator transmission cooler section into an after-market radiator cooler, replaced the 5 sections of transmission hoses with 5/16" aftermarket Gates transmission hose and the cheap-ass OEM spring clips they use (another Titan shortcoming) with fuel line clamps. I also decided to drop the pan and replace the transmission screen (Titan doesn't have trans filter) when I flush and replace the trans fluid.

PM me if you want a list of the parts and fluid I used.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
It all worked out pretty good in the end. The owner of the small dealership I originally got the xterra called me this week and told me he found me an 05 in manual with only 103k on it at an auction and if I was interested he would get it. The car came in today. I took it to the Nissan mechanic who gave it his blessing. This thing was well cared for. Lot of maintenance records on the car fax. The owner who is from Kenya was very apologetic and he let me have basically swapped them evenly. All it’s costing me is a new radio Which I planned to change out anyway. The one in the new xterra works but has no backlight on the screen. This one is also not 4WD but that’s not all that important to me. Manual gen 2 xterras are not common so I feel like I made out.

The plastic bumper covers and trim pieces are faded so I will be trying out the heat gun truck which seems to work very well. If you don’t know about it check out YouTube videos on resorting plastic trim parts with a heat gun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Nice upgrade. I am glad it worked out for you in the end.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I bought some test strips to check the Glycol content in ATF for my Nissans from acustrip.com.

https://www.acustrip.com/cgi-b...desc.cgi?s=ACU711254

Both vehicles came out fine, now just need to replace the radiator or do a bypass.